Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » No CP at Imax Theatre at Birmingham UK! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: No CP at Imax Theatre at Birmingham UK!
Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2002 05:18 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been for the past 6months Chief Projectionist at the Imax Theatre Millennium Point in Birmingham UK.

On Friday, out off the blue, I was ask to attend a meeting with the Operations Manager and was told my position no longer existed as they had to cut costs and I was to leave within a hour, as it seams the Theatre is looseing so much money and will before time will as I see it will close.

As it now seams,they will operate with no Chief Projectionist!, will be staffed just by two full-time Projectionists, which may not have the experience to deal with any major technical problems, and quite how they can get away without a Chief Projectionist managing it and to what saving!.
I am sure Imax would would be some what concern that one of their Theatre's is to managed in this way and the way I was treated by this shabby operator!.

They do not and should not deserve to operate a Imax Theatre.

I wish the other projectionists remaining there, all the luck in the world and it was a pleasure to work with them and sadden that I do not now have a career working in a Imax Theatre.

Ben Wales
Former Chief Projectionist
Imax Theatre
Birmingham UK

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-02-2002 09:35 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's a fine how-do-you-do. There are several Imax theaters opening here in the States soon, if you're interested in this side of the pond.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2002 02:13 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ben, sorry to hear about the demise of your position. I applaud you for your good attitude about it. Good luck finding something new.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2002 06:49 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ben, surely thay have to give you more notice than that???

There's a large format (Megasytems) theatre opening up here soon, it will also be equipped to run 35mm. They will be looking for an experienced operator I would think.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2002 07:34 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ben this is a bit of a shocker.

Try giving Dennis Laws a call at BFI / Science Museum I think he could do with some help at the moment.

talk soon

Dick

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-03-2002 09:36 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ben,
You seem to be taking it well and I think you'll continue that job at another place if U follow up the leads that others have pointed out.
IMHO, its just another place that Imax is sucking all the funds out of anyway and I wonder if they'll yank the stuff out when the contract is up and replace it with something that can turn them a bit of profit. This is the same thing that has happened here in the states at numerous locations.
Mark @ GTS

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2002 10:42 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having the pleasure of meeting you Ben when you visited Cranleigh recently I am sorry to hear your news. I do hope better things come your way soon. Good Luck.

Is not Bournmouth Imax getting off the ground at last ?

I heard that the chief projectionist at the Odeon Brighton is reaching retirement.

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2002 11:59 AM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ben, I wish you all the luck in the world.
It made me see red when reading your writeup, and I think you have been treated in the most dispicable way.
Someone out there, I feel sure, will give you a home to go to.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2002 02:27 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I have been there too.

The Edwards Boise IMAX Closed abruptly with no early notice. The chief projectionist there had just bought a house and had two young children. He had to make a big change in very little time. Now he is the CP at the Imax here in Spokane. I lost my job as well, but found a new one in very little time. The good part is that this particular theater is owned by the city, and does very well. There is no risk of closing in the near future. In fact, there are plans of a 3D SR theater in the works. I hope it all works out. If it does they will be looking for a CP to take over the old theater, as we will both move to the new one.
I wish you luck in finding another booth to call your own.
It all works out for the better anyways!!!!

Tristan

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-03-2002 06:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tristan,
Believe it or not all the equipment is still in place in Boise. As though Imax have abandoned it there. I was in the booth a little over a month ago.
Mark @ GTS

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-04-2002 03:29 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ben:

British employment law says that once you've been in a workplace for a certain length of time you're entitled to a notice period and redundancy pay in the event that your job ceases to exist. Sorry to be so vague in failing to remember the details (I guess I'm lucky in that all the companies & institutions I've worked for have been relatively good employers, so I've never needed to look them up) but I'd be really surprised if they're just allowed to make you redundant with so little notice.

Secondly, are you a member of BECTU [the trade union representing UK cinema workers]? If so call 0800 587 1278. This is their members' legal helpline. If not, I'm sure they'd still like to hear about this and it might be worth contacting Willy Donaghy, who is their supervisory official for arts and entertainment (wdonaghy@bectu.org.uk).

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2002 04:02 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ben,

There's an advertisement in this weeks Screen International.

TECHNICAL MANAGER

Applications are invited for the position of Technical Manager within a Group of Westcountry Cinemas.

Experience in the Cinema Industry with all types of projectional equipment is essential. Applications by CV and covering letter to:

Box No 67 Screen International, 33-39 Bowling Green Lane, London. EC1R ODA

Michael Hunt
Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2002 12:44 PM      Profile for Michael Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And there was me thinking about visiting the Birmingham Imax...

As a lifelong Trade-unionist I don't think I'll bother now...

Ben, good luck in the job hunting...

------------------
There must be more to life than Film and Rugby...

Gwan Glawster!!!

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2002 10:43 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

Strange. The CP with whom I am working with now said that he stuck around long enough to oversee the removal of the eqipment, but maybe he was just referring to the films and non IMAX related equipment. Now the gears in my head are working. I still have the master key to the Building, maybe I will stop in there and see for myself the next time I am in boise. I really miss that theater. But there was one problem: There was a serious engineering error when the building was designed, because they fogot to put a toilet in the booth.
It still kills me to think that the theater is closed. I would give anything to be back there.

-Tristan

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-09-2002 06:49 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a shock
I am suprised as that is a very stupid move to do, do you have any legal recourse under your employment standards

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: