Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Re-opening an OMNI DOME CINEMA (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Re-opening an OMNI DOME CINEMA
Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 08:33 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello

This is my first post so I will tell you a little about my self. I am 17 years old and live in Perth Western Australia. I worked at the IMAX Theatre in PERTH which closed in JUNE after being open for around a year and a half and cost 9.5million to build and set up, it went up for a couple of autions and no one bought it. Since then I have been looking into opening the OMNI dome cinema to show 35mm films. The cinema closed a month before IMAX opened and used to show 35mm films as well as 15/70 films. The sound system is still all in place, seats and most things I will need to re open it. I will be setting up the computer system for ticketing and candy bar if anything comes of my plan. I have been looking around for an older projector that I will either re build or if it is in good working order us it as is. I would be running with a MUT becuase a platter would be way too expensive. What kind of costs should I be looking at? I would be working on a fairly small budget and would be doing both managment and projection ( not at the same time) and have mangers, staff and projectinst who would be ready to work. What are your thought on my idea?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-13-2002 09:32 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Film-Tech.

My thinking is that if a mere platter presents a budgetary problem then it seems doubtful you are in a position to do this at all.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 09:39 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Paul!

What kind of theater do you plan on running? First run? How many shows a day? Of the same film?

I must agree with Steve, though. If a platter seems too far out of reach, I think that you will hit many more financial brick walls. I think your idea could have some potential, and I wish you the best of luck. Please tell us more! I think you'll find a lot of help on this website.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 09:44 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
9.5 million is a huge capital investment for a single person. If you are truly serious about this, it might be time to stop thinking about asthetics and little things like ticketing systems and begin making up a business plan and start doing feasibility studies. My suggestion is to find a nice little theatre that you can get a reasonable lease on, maybe with an option to buy. Over here in the U.S. you can own a decent single for under $250,000, and nicer singles or small multi's for 500,000-1,000,000 including property, plant, and equipment and usually with other businesses on the property that you will own also.

BTW: These prices are my guesses for outright purchase, leasing nothing.

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 08:15 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to agree with the others on this , as we in Auckland lost our IMAX and with the Backing of 2 of the largest Film Operators in NZ running (Village Force and Hoyts )the Complex ,it still was not profitable and they were not able to stand the losses , start with a single or Twinn I'm sure you'll learn alot and have more fun and remember even if you had the money to buy the business outright , you still have to consider the over Heads.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-13-2002 09:29 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
35mm on a dome usually looks pretty bad

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2002 01:16 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your reply. While a platter would be in easy reach of the budget I thought it may be an idea to steer clear of it and spend more money on other things. I would be a second run house showing and say opening at around 1.00pm and showing say 4 sessions a day except on weekends. I belive in having good equipment but in the end providing the picture and sound is good the public does not care. I plan on re opening the OMNI dome, NOT THE IMAX theatre! The rent at the OMNI dome is around AU $80 000 per year. I do not plan on showing 15/70 films although at some stage money allowing installing a 8/70mm projector is an idea. Gordon the picture is accpetable, I find that becuase everyone is a projectionist pretty much here that they care a great deal about distortion ect.. I belive the public don't, OMNI used to show 35mm films as well as 15/70 films and people loved it! I guess my reason for posting is to get help with writing up a bussiness plan, what kind of things I need to look out for? Do I need a years rent to start, or say half and get the rest durring the first year?

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2002 02:05 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

I would suggest that you start with page one of these forums and read each and every thread that will give you the most insight. I think one common thing you will notice is that the concesus here is that wether the public cares or not you should provide the best presentation possible. Couldnt you build a flat screen in front of the dome?

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2002 07:14 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am all for providing the best possible presentation, the reason I said that was because I do not see that having the newest equipment will provide that. I am going to start with an older porjector and see how things go, well at least that is what I had been thinking. There was a descusion on Dome screen projection somewhere and it said that while there are focus problems it is acceptable. I had thought of hanging a flat screen in front of the dome.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-14-2002 09:58 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Equipment costs should be minor, compared with the other costs of getting into this business. Plan on spending plenty on advertising, film guarantees, and any necessary repairs/modifications to the building. By comparison, a platter or second projector/soundhead/lamphouse (or, preferably, both) should be very cheap. If they used to show 35mm there, isn't the equipment still in place, anyway?

I've never seen 35mm projected onto a dome, but I assume that it wouldn't work very well (among other issues: how would you mask the screen for the various formats?). Consider finding a "normal" single-screen or small multiplex which is either closed or underperforming and make an offer on that instead. The Omni dome sounds like an expensive way to get into the exhibition business.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2002 10:21 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many people do you expect to get per year? Most single screen theatres have attendance between 35,000-100,000 depending on the market and how many shows you run per year. Then figure out ticket prices. Then assume a per-cap of about $2.00 per person. Labor costs should about $60,000 or more per year including your salary.

Here is a basic example off the top of my head if your theatre does average for a single.

Attendance 50,000 * $5.00 Ticket price -50% avg. film rental
Gross Ticket Sales= $250,000 -125,000 = $125,00 Net Ticket Sales
Gross Concession Sales= $80,000 -30% Cost= $56,000 Net Concession
Salaries And Wage Expense= ($60,000)
Maintainence Expense Yearly= ($20,000)
Rent Expense= ($80,000)
Other Expenses= ($10,000)

Start out with a rough sketch something like this by calling bookers and other theatres to find out average attendance and prices. By the end single screens wont make you rich but you will have fun. Just be careful, I think you can get into an old single or small multi for less than $80,000/yr.

these figures are in American Dollars.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-14-2002 04:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I saw a 35mm film projected on a dome I walked out after 5 minuets it was sooo distorted and poorly focused

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-14-2002 07:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen anything on any dome system that I thought was worth the price I paid for the ticket. I try to stay away from ANY dome system! If I remember correctly there was only one 15/70 film that was "made" for the dome. Everything else also looks distorted except for the occasional fisheye shot in films dome normally.
Flat screens seem to prevail, and the real reason for dome systems in the first place is lack of space to build a flat screen, and cost considerations.
Mark @ CLACO
P.S. Heck, if they do reopen it I'd gladly loan them my Chevy demo dome film from the 1956 Auto Show!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-14-2002 08:07 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to be a party pooper, but I would not touch that thing with a 12 meter pole, even if I were a billionaire. Maybe I missed something, but WHY was it closed, and WHY did it not sell?

In addition to what some of the others mentioned, I'll mention something else:

You stand a chance of losing your butt in a very short period of time.

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2002 10:37 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Paul on this.You would be best looking for a more suitable site, as understand from industry people in the west that this site is to be redeveloped.I feel that you should work in the industry for sometime longer to get more experience in all areas and to get to know the industry warts and all,because these days in exhibition it is very easy to get your fingers burnt and end up broke.Some theatres in the west are struggleing.So dont be in a rush to make a commmitment at such a young age,if in a few years you still want own a cinema then look at the idea again and do your homework as it is a cutthroat industry and there are some hard players out there believe me.
Steve [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: