Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » IMAX distribution and 8:70

Author Topic: IMAX distribution and 8:70
Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 09:25 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it really truly true that IMAX only distributes its prints in 15:70 and ONLY to IMAX screens? IMAX screens do play non IMAX distributed prints in 15:70 so why do they not reciprocate? What is the cost to convert a 15:70 print to 8:70? Has IMAX always done this if true? I need to know...I want to play Space Station so bad I could
die........... What's up?

------------------
Jan Hackett
Theater Operations Manager
Extreme Screen Dynatheater
NM Museum of Natural History Foundation

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-10-2002 09:32 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen no information that would indicate that Imax has changed their position on the issue.

Please don't die ... we like you. Especially since you're buyin' at GSTA!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-10-2002 11:13 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if IMAX screens don't play non IMAX distributed prints then most would be black
The majority of prints playing IMAX theatres are Macgillvary Freeman or Destination cinema, SOny Classics or NWave

Adam Martin

- posted 06-11-2002 01:34 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
We currently have 7 films in our library: 3 Imax, 2 Disney, 1 MacFree, and 1 RBFC.

For the institutional theater going for the student attendance, I think Imax, MacFree and Destination have the best libraries, with Imax being the largest.

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2002 12:10 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Adam I won't die...just cause I promised to buy you beer...I hope Gordon has a nice Pub picked out...The kind with the HUGE beer mugs.
BTW are IMAX theaters expensive to run? Just curious....and don't you think it would be more profitable if IMAX distributed their prints to Non-IMAX?

------------------
Jan Hackett
Theater Operations Manager
Extreme Screen Dynatheater
NM Museum of Natural History Foundation

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2002 12:36 PM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably not for them. I bet they prefer you just pay a lot of money and become IMAX first. Then you can lease (rent) their movies from them.

Adam Martin

- posted 06-11-2002 03:44 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I would imagine that between the corporate sponsors, theater sponsors and grants from places like the National Science Foundation, many large format films could sit on the shelf without drawing royalties and not lose money. (Notice that I said "many" ...) Particularly if Imax produced the film, seeing how they manufacture their own LF cameras and own their own post house. Because of that, I don't see Imax being concerned about how many non-Imax theaters they're giving the cold shoulder.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: