Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Outdoor IMAX..Would it be possible? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Outdoor IMAX..Would it be possible?
Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 03-26-2004 01:52 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if this is the right place for this topic, so please move if necessary. Is it possible to have an IMAX drive-in theater. I realize the structure would be much bigger than normal, but it can be done right? Has this even been attempted, or am I just crazy thinking that this would work? Or is there already one, and I should have just looked it up before posting?

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-26-2004 06:09 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
It would work, but it's never gonna happen.

1. Way too expensive for the situation.
2. The film library doesn't go with the market.
3. A major part of any large format experience is the controlled environment in which the image and sound are presented. You just can't achieve that at a drive-in.
4. It is highly unlikely that you'd be able to keep the booth clean enough to run large format without spending huge amounts of money.
5. Lots and lots of other reasons.

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2004 05:10 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also imagine car headlights and other ambient light would be more of an issue than a regular screen.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-29-2004 08:17 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it would easily be possible. We did a really large outdoor 70mm venue some years ago in Lincoln Park in Chicago very sucessfully. Check out the Cinema Borealis photos on the picture page. With something like the Maverick projector(but with a reliable platter system)and building it all into the back end if a short semi-trailer it could be kept very clean and made very practical. I wouldn't count on any assistance from a company like Imax though. Like us, your biggest problem would be the ambient lighting from street lights [eyes] and a rain storm !

Mark @ CLACO

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2004 08:29 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be great to see something like this. BUT, a gazillion
watts of audio power would wake the dead and hold them there!!

fjn [Big Grin]

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 03-29-2004 08:34 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. Just a thought I had, while sitting here bored at my day job. [sleep] [thumbsup]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-29-2004 03:16 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark why a Maverick it didn't work anywhere from what I heard
The standard SR machine fits right through a doorway

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-29-2004 03:55 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Pacific's Kailua Drive In Theatre was still in operation. "MY FAIR LADY" was shown at that venue in 70mm immediately after it's first run road show engagement at Honolulu's now defunct Cinerama Theatre. I am not sure which one but the world premiere of either POCAHONTAS" or "BEAUTY & THE BEAST" was held out doors in Central Park in New York City in 70mm. I understand Disney also struck a 70mm print of "PEARL HARBOR" for the Japan premiere at a baseball stadium in Tokyo. If that can be done, I cannot see why IMAX films cannot play at an outdoor site but why should they do that?

-Claude

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-29-2004 05:08 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude

Disney did "Pocahontas" in Central Park, I think they had third prints running that night. They have also struck special 70MM prints to be run double-system with a 35mm SRD track for Radio City Music Hall.
Pacific Theatres tested and opened in Three-Panel Cinerama, "This is Cinerama" at their Century Drive-In in 1964. And they would later play in Cinerama, "Seven Wonders of the World" before dropping the Cinerama Drive-In idea.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-29-2004 06:22 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, realistically you'd have to be playing at least double featurettes but I was struck by the vision of all those cars entering and leaving on 20-45 minute intervals.

[Now going seriously off topic...]

That got me to thinking of theme park rides where one way or another the people are put into some sort of conveyance--whether boats or trams of some sort--and moved along a course and basically are shown things. Has there ever been one where you stay in your own car and either drive along or get moved along like in a car wash?

[Back on topic...]

The impressiveness of IMAX has to do with the size of the screen and clarity of the images and you need to be fairly close to it to appreciate that and be overwhelmed by it. Viewed from a large distance it's just a pretty picture. Thus it would hardly be worth the effort to do this. On the other hand an outdoor theatre for persons seated in an amphitheater type setting might be spectacular.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-29-2004 06:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord,

Actually I had a long conversation with one of the designers of the Maverick Projector not too long ago. I was told this information by the gentleman.....

"There are no real problems with the Maverick itself...it runs fine. The problem was that when they did the Crown Theatres installs they used a Strong Special Venue platter system. The backers of the Maverick project did not want to spend more $$ developing a proper platter system for it. Had they done that the Crown Theatres installation might still be rinning along just fine".

One of the Mavericks was on display at Showorst this year. Its not much larger than the Imax SR, being a bit wider but not quite as long. Its also an available projector thats sitting idle right now.... Quite an ingenious mechanism!

Mark @ CLACO

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-29-2004 07:52 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The Maverick is more than twice the size of an SR. It's more along the lines of a Classic with a small lamphouse.

quote:
Viewed from a large distance it's just a pretty picture. Thus it would hardly be worth the effort to do this.
Exactly. The composition of large format films is completely different from other formats.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 03-29-2004 09:34 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve said:

quote:
On the other hand an outdoor theatre for persons seated in an amphitheater type setting might be spectacular.
This is more what I had in mind, Steve. It doesnt necessarily have to be IMAX, but 70mm large format.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-30-2004 09:29 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lylle Breier, Senior VP of Special Events at Disney, coordinated most of their recent launch events, including the screenings in Central Park:

http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID10001390.asp

quote:
Lylle Breier has been promoted to the newly created position of senior vice president, special events, for The Walt Disney Studios, it was announced today by Richard Cook, chairman of The Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group. In her new role, she will be responsible for creating and overseeing a wide range of worldwide special events related to the domestic and international releases of the studio's motion-picture and video product.

Over the past decade, Breier has helped to stage some of the industry's most elaborate and memorable events, including the 1995 premiere of Pocahontas in Central Park, the 1997 "Hercules Premiere Weekend" in Manhattan complete with Electrical Light Parade, and the recent live worldwide concert tour for Fantasia/2000. Additionally, she has been responsible for many of the special activities at Hollywood's legendary El Capitan Theater and the recent construction of a temporary IMAX theater in Los Angeles to showcase Fantasia/2000.

Commenting on the announcement, Cook said: "When it comes to great showmanship and achieving the impossible, Lylle is without peer in the industry. She is enormously creative, a tireless worker, and has the vision and ability to oversee the most ambitious and complex of projects. "She has helped the studio launch some of its biggest successes in a spectacular manner and added to the Disney legacy for outstanding showmanship. Lylle has been an incredible contributor to our team for the past 11 years, and we have tremendous respect for her talent, taste and creativity."

For the past four years, Breier has served as vice president, special events, for Buena Vista Pictures Distribution. She held the post of director of special events for two years prior to that. Among her accomplishments, she was involved with the opening of the legendary El Capitan Theater in Hollywood in 1991 and has been responsible for all group and advance ticket-sales programs ever since.

She has also helped to supervise many successful special events, including the premiere of The Lion King at Radio City Music Hall, the Angels in the Outfield world premiere at Pittsburgh's Three Rivers Stadium, "Pocahontas: The Premiere in the Park" on the Great Lawn in Central Park, the six-city preopening engagements for Pocahontas, the "Totally Toy Story" Funhouse at the El Capitan, the 1997 premiere of The Rock on Alcatraz Island, and the spectacular parade and Superdome premiere for The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

In 1998, Breier and her team orchestrated "The Hercules World Premiere Weekend in New York." That Herculean feat involved the complicated logistics of transporting Disneyland's popular "Main Street Electrical Parade" to Manhattan and closing down a 1-7/8-mile parade route along 42nd Street and Fifth Avenue. More than 4 million people turned out to view the parade in person while millions more watched the live television broadcast.

Most recently, Breier helped to launch Fantasia/2000 in grand fashion with a "World Premiere Tour" that included live concert performances synched to the film in New York (at Carnegie Hall), London, Paris and Tokyo. The tour concluded on New Year's Eve in Pasadena, Calif., with the Fantasia/2000 Millennium Ball.

Breier and her team were also responsible for lining up 75 IMAX theaters around the world for the exclusive giant-screen engagement and working closely with each venue on a comprehensive marketing and group sales program. To help kick off the Jan. 1, 2000, IMAX engagement, Breier's special-events group was responsible for overseeing the construction of the Disney IMAX Theater in Los Angeles, a temporary structure located on the Howard Hughes Parkway.

Breier began her association with Buena Vista Pictures Distribution in 1987 as a summer intern. Two years later, she joined the company on a full-time basis as marketing coordinator, where her principal duties included overseeing the college-intern program. In that role, she was in charge of a select group of college interns who traveled across the country throughout the summer to check on the use of promotional materials.

In 1992, she was promoted to manager of special events and took on responsibilities for the El Capitan shows and ticket sales plus events surrounding Disney's major releases.

A native of Miami, Breier contributed articles to the Miami Herald while still in high school. She went on to attend UCLA, where she majored in communication and graduated in 1989.

http://filmjournal.com/Article.cfm?PageID=74562544

quote:
Breier’s involvement in special-event launches goes back to 1995, when she coordinated the massive “Pocahontas: The Premiere in the Park” on the Great Lawn of Central Park and the film's six-city pre-opening engagements. In 1998, she and her team orchestrated “The Hercules World Premiere Weekend in New York,” which included a parade that attracted more than four million people and millions more who viewed the event as a live television broadcast.

Additionally, Breier, who is also in charge of Disney's Home Entertainment special events, has been responsible for many of the special activities at the Disney-owned El Capitan Theatre and other Disney special events, including supervision of premieres of such films as The Lion King, Angels in the Outfield, The Rock and The Hunchback of Notre Dame and, most recently, premieres for The Rookie, the Pearl Harbor premiere aboard the USS Stennis in Hawaii, three Lilo & Stitch premieres, and the Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl world premiere at Disneyland.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2004 12:26 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it might be fun to us an Imax projector to project an image on some large feature outdoors like the Boulder Dam in Las Vegas, or some large office building or a natural cliff somewhere.

This wouldn't be a show but more like an art installation.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: