Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » New forum for large format enthusiasts (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New forum for large format enthusiasts
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-04-2004 12:03 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
After getting this request for some time and finally seeing why I get this request so often...here it is.

By the morning, all 8/70 and 15/70 threads will be moved into this forum for archival and future discussion.

|  IP: Logged

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 05-04-2004 04:25 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Either it's a great and welcome idea that's been necessary and known about for quite some time ... or it's a slick and clever way of segregating me and my predominantly Large-Format posts from the Film-Tech society, along with the rest of the Large Format cultists. [Razz]

DOWN WITH 35mm!!! Y'all with yer skinny film and optical soundtracks and yer ... vertical threading! ... who needs ya!?! [Big Grin]

Okay, perhaps I overreacted there. No hard feelings. [beer]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-04-2004 05:52 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not only is the image quality better, but 70mm requires fewer slitting knives than 35mm. You get 19 strips across a 54-inch "wide roll" of Kodak VISION Color Print Film, instead of the 38 strips you get with 35mm film.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-04-2004 11:31 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Less slitting knives? Why that's better for the environment!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-04-2004 11:48 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, by today's declining standards 35mm true anamorphic is virtually a large format.

BTW, I have some 105mm film. That tops your nancy-boy 70/15.

One more stupid thought: IMAX projected using the technology of that defunct drive-in with the individual screens could feed a multiplex using one projector and one print. How's that for economy?

OK, I'm done now.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-04-2004 12:02 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the other extreme, Pathe Duplex was a very short-lived home widescreen system which ran 9.5mm, film with special perforations, horizontally through the camera, exposing half the width, it was then turned round, like 8mm, to expose the other half. When slit for projection the film was 4.75mm wide.

The BKSTS film formats wallchart shows an even smaller format, I don't have a copy handy at the moment, but it was either 3 or 3.5mm. I've never heard of it anywhere else, and I've no idea what it was used for, but I seem to remember that it was something to do with the USAF.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-04-2004 12:48 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Kraus
BTW, I have some 105mm film. That tops your nancy-boy 70/15.

How about 241 mm (9.5 inches) film?: [Razz]

Kodak SO-359 Color Reversal Aerial Film

quote:
AEROCHROME HS Film SO-359
High-speed color reversal film for low- to medium-altitude mapping and reconnaissance. Process E-6.

KODAK AEROCHROME HS Film SO-359 is a fine grain, high-speed color reversal aerial camera film. It has excellent color rendition and good image quality. SO-359 Film has a 3.9-mil (0.10 mm) ESTAR Base with a gel backing. It is specifically designed for processing to a color transparency using KODAK chemicals for Process E-6 in mechanized processors.

Kodak Aerial Film Catalog

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2004 01:27 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John

That's nothing . What about the film for the camera in the RB36 USAFM RB36
18" x 36" frames!! [Eek!]

Joe Schmidt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2004 02:22 PM      Profile for Joe Schmidt   Email Joe Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]

Knifies, knifies? John P. must be subterraneously mixing up the film industry with the bill-collecting industry.

[Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2004 04:41 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now all we need is a forum for DLP!!! [thumbsup]

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2004 06:15 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A forum for DLP? Isn't that what "The Afterlife" is for? [Smile]

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 05-04-2004 07:06 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about a large format DLP Forum. [thumbsup]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2004 03:39 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's nothing . What about the film for the camera in the RB36 USAFM RB36
18" x 36" frames!!

Been beat in Chicago. Made a camera to shoot 8 x 4.5 negatives.

http://www.rtpnet.org/robroy/lawrence/mammoth.html

Lawrence took astounding pictures.
http://www.rtpnet.org/robroy/lawrence/landscape.html

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2004 03:46 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But William that's plate photography.
We are talking about flexible film on a roll.

However I am sure the incredibly talented Mr Hill could devise a projector that could transport these plates at 24fps or greater [Eek!]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-05-2004 10:21 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw the topic large I thought this was a forum on Ian [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: