Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum

my profile | my password | register | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Meyer Sound Acheron Designer vs. JBL M2

Author Topic: Meyer Sound Acheron Designer vs. JBL M2
Haris Ellahi
Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2017 04:20 PM      Profile for Haris Ellahi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a home theater, would you guys prefer an Acheron Designer based setup or a M2 based setup?

|  IP: Logged

Haris Ellahi
Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2017 04:26 PM      Profile for Haris Ellahi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any comments/opinions on this? Basically want to get some feedback on how the Acheron models compare to the M2.

Jay Wyatt
Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2017 05:12 PM      Profile for Jay Wyatt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both are highly regarded and probably more than sufficient for any home theater environment.

For a commute to the grocery store, would you prefer a Ferrari or Aston Martin?

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2017 02:04 AM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both good choices. Need more info though; what is the size of your theatre? Will it be fully soundproofed such that you'll able to play at full reference level, if that's what you're after?

Powered speakers can be awesome (and your two options are great examples of going this road) but create interesting issues with wiring a home theatre. Are you sure you don't want to go with passive speakers with all of your amps in a rack or equipment room?

Haris Ellahi
Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2017 12:11 PM      Profile for Haris Ellahi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies.

The room has yet to be built but will have dimensions that are roughly 20 ft long x 14.5 ft wide x 9.5 ft high. It will most likely be made of concrete all around so sound leakage should be at a minimum. I'm looking to achieve reference level (at a minimum) with no stress or strain. The equipment rack will be placed outside the room so that is not an issue. I actually prefer powered/active speakers as you get the "complete package" instead of having another variable in the mix (i.e. amplifiers) that can alter the final result in ways that might not always be favorable.

Coming back to the topic, I've read from others that the M2 is far ahead in terms of technology and design when compared to the Acheron speakers. The horn on the Acheron models looks quite simple whereas the M2 has a unique waveguide. I've also read reports from those who compared the Meyer Sound Amie monitors to the new JBL 7 Series monitors that the Amie is quite directional (i.e. it sounds as if the sound is coming from the speakers) whereas with the JBL 7 Series they sound "invisible" with a much larger sweet spot and much better imaging. Not sure what this means when comparing the bigger brothers. I actually currently own the JBL LSR305 monitors with the matching LSR310S subwoofer for my desktop PC setup. I can attest to the great imaging and overall sound quality I get out of these.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2017 01:19 AM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are leaning in the right direction. Do you have a JBL Synthesis dealer you can tap? M2s for the LCR and then some corresponding JBL for all the surrounds, with the corresponding Synthesis electronics supporting whole thing, is a good way to go. The JBL Synthesis ARCOS room correction and especially their Sound Field Management system for handling multiple-subwoofer bass management, are without peer.

Jarod Reddig
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2017 05:29 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Id go with the M2s and matching surrounds from the same line.

Haris Ellahi
Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2017 03:44 AM      Profile for Haris Ellahi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While the 705 and 708 match the M2 and are designed to be used with the M2 for immersive applications, how much of a "disadvantage" would I be at if I were to mate M2 LCRs with JBL SCS 8 for all surround and ceiling speakers in order to save cost? Will there be a noticeable tonal/sound quality shift when sounds pan from the M2 speakers to the SCS 8s? I know that JBL used the M2 as LCR and SCS 8 for all surround and ceiling speakers during their CEDIA demo in 2014 or 2015 so I guess it can work fine but would still like some feedback.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: