Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » GREASE reel 6 to 7 changeover position...

Author Topic: GREASE reel 6 to 7 changeover position...
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-28-2016 10:16 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heya

I'm doing a re-cut of GREASE with the audio off an original 1981 laser disc and adding cues for authenticity ( [Wink] ). While I can remember exactly the first 5 changeover spots, for whatever reason my memory is a little hazy on 6 to 7 and there is some doubt.

I have it happening at the end of Look At Me reprise as she runs off with Frenchie and ends on a mid shot of Danny (c/o) then start of 7 is a shot of Eve Arden in the school office. Is that right?

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2016 03:52 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been many years since I ran the original release back in the 70's.
I can't say I remember the 'out' on reel 6, but the shot of Eve Arden
you mention right after the C/O seems to jog some old memory cells,
and that's sorta what I can recall too.

(remember, at the end of R6, I was looking for 'dots', not what's going on
elsewhere on screen. I have better memories of "incoming" reels, since I'm
checking for focus, even arc-light & cat-hair in the gate after the reel changes)

Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2016 10:57 PM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John

I have a print somewhere. If you don't get a definitive answer by tonight I shall drag it out and have a look at those two reels.

Hopefully, someone else will have given you the answer by then.

Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2016 12:00 AM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reel 6 ends with a white car (Greased Lightning?) and a bunch of people standing around it in the dry waterway (culvert?). It then cuts to a long shot of the wall of the waterway with what appears to be someone standing half way up the slope. The final cue marks then appear.

Reel 7 starts with a shot of a black car with five guys standing around it and one guy sitting in the drivers seat.

I hope this is enough to identify where to put the cue marks.

If you need further info let me know.

Cheers

Mark Campbell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2016 04:33 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This conversation has brought out an obsession of mine when I was a kid: looking out for changeover cues and how the changeovers affected the edit and flow of a film. Does anyone know of a website that has documented where the changeovers are in various films over the years? I kind of miss them when I go to the movies these days.

Very geekish I know.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-18-2016 04:52 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Peter. That's perfect. A little earlier than what I thought...but now I do recall it.

Is your print an original by any chance or the '98 re-issue?

Many thanks to all yet again.

Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2016 08:59 PM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John
It is stamped SRD so I would think it was a reprint.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: