Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Blu-Ray (and HD-DVD) video codecs.

Author Topic: Blu-Ray (and HD-DVD) video codecs.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-06-2016 04:14 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does either VC-1 or MGEG-4 AVC have any real advantage over the other? To be honest I can't see any difference, and I believe that all players can handle both.

All of my HD-DVDs, about 40, use VC-1, as do about 60-70% of my BDs, a slightly higher number. I can only produce MPEG-4 AVC. Is this really a problem?

BDs can also use MGEG-2, but is only for SD 'extras'? I've never seen it used for the main HD content.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-06-2016 06:17 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I recall correctly, the VC-1 codec is owned by Microsoft and costs more in terms of licensing than MPEG-4 AVC. The MPEG-4 codec has more features on the high end for archival purposes. But it seems like both VC-1 and MP4 have similar performance on consumer media like Blu-ray discs.

MPEG-2 is effectively dead in terms of high definition use. It's really only good for making SD video material for DVD discs. Both VC-1 and MP4 are a lot more efficient in terms of compression capability than MPEG-2. Both DirecTV and Dish Network used to broadcast in MPEG-2, but they switched over to MPEG-4 several years ago. They had to replace or retool satellites and replace customer receivers across the board.

Now HEVC/H.265, the High Efficiency Video Coding format, is growing more popular. It's significantly more efficient at compression than MPEG-4 AVC. It's the standard video compression format on UltraHD Blu-ray. I kind of expect the satellite TV providers, cable companies and streaming companies like Netflix to all shift over to HEVC within the next couple or so years. I think the only thing that could stop that is another codec achieving similar levels of efficiency. The Internet is a little more wide open. MP4 is widely used, but the open source WebM format could get more popular.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-08-2016 09:54 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MP4 is just a shell aka a container format. AVC is the codec and it's used on a lot more Blu-rays than VC1 to my knowledge. There are also a lot of Blu-rays that use MPEG-2 for HD, especially the early ones. There is nothing limiting it to SD and that really has nothing to do with anything. AVC can do standard definition as well. MPEG-2 is still in nationwide use as the broadcast standard for television. They will have to do another switchover in the future. I don't see that happening soon. They will need to keep doing these broadcast switchovers once every 15 years or so. But seriously who has time to watch TV?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: