Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Help Save SEPTEMBER STORM in 3-D

Author Topic: Help Save SEPTEMBER STORM in 3-D
Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2016 06:52 PM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
We've just launched our first Kickstarter campaign to save this lost 3-D feature. Please help spread the news!

Thank you very much.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3-dspace/september-storm-1960-3-d-digital-feature-film-rest

|  IP: Logged

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2016 01:47 PM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
Day 7 update with the 60 second TV commercial. Notice they do not say "3-D" as moviegoers were still recovering from the 1953/54 headaches.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3-dspace/september-storm-1960-3-d-digital-feature-film-rest/posts/1637334

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2016 08:47 PM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
Day 12 update with the first before/after comparison from our test scan. We're pleased to say the results are VERY encouraging! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3-dspace/september-storm-1960-3-d-digital-feature-film-rest/posts/1641907

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2016 08:48 AM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
SUCCESS! Thank you VERY much to everyone for your interest, encouragement and support. We can now begin the work to save this lost 3-D feature.

Stay tuned for some very exciting announcements and updates on the campaign...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3-dspace/september-storm-1960-3-d-digital-feature-film-rest

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2016 09:05 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert thanks so much for doing this project. Will the new 3-D scope print to Blue Ray 3-D be in stereo sound? Was It shown in theatres in 4 ch stereo? It played at the great Fox West Coast Theatre in San Francisco CA 'The Fox'. I have a small newspaper ad around that I kept when this played. I remember the marquee at the Fox had two huge neon CinemaScopeŽ signs that lit up. Must have looked great on their giant semi curved CinemaScope screen in 3-D. If It was not shot in stereo hope you can upgrade the sound restoration to give some surround sound at times (Chase Sound) with the water sounds with good base and treble. When do you think It will be available for release in Blue Ray 3-D? Will make a great Xmas gift to all my 3-D curved screen TV friends If It's ready at the end of this year? Thanks again.

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2016 07:40 AM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much, Terry. It was a pick-up by Fox and was mono optical only. The separate dialogue, music and effect tracks do not survive so we will not be creating a new stereo mix.

The 3-D Blu-ray will be released to the backers that made it possible in December.

Thanks to backer Mike Ballew, we've just found Asher Dann - the last surviving cast member - and an interview will be included on the Blu-ray!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3-dspace/september-storm-1960-3-d-digital-feature-film-rest/posts/1649823

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2016 06:41 AM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
We made it!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3-dspace/september-storm-1960-3-d-digital-feature-film-rest/posts/1657491

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2016 12:44 PM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
The world premiere of our SEPTEMBER STORM 3-D restoration is December 8 at the Aero in Santa Monica, CA!

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/september-storm-0

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2016 10:24 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, can't wait to get on Blue Ray 3-D in CinemaScopeŽ for my curved screen.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2016 01:53 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The world premiere of our SEPTEMBER STORM 3-D restoration is December 8 at the Aero in Santa Monica, CA!
Thanks to this thread I was able to see the premiere screening. Highly enjoyable, thanks for all your work on this!

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2016 01:47 PM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Daniel, very glad you could join us.

I just wish the Aero's 3-D projection was better than 7 FL. That was a mighty dim image!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-09-2017 12:12 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's still a lot better than the 3-4 you'll find in most multiplexes (most of which don't bother to change the bulb between 2-D and 3-D presentations), and something that likely won't be improved on by anything except a dual stack system or a very big laser projector. The filter wheel systems out there absorb between roughly 60% and 90% of the light output from the xenon bulb. The Dolby system at the Aero is one of the worse ones for light absorption (though it has many good points in other respects), but the decision to buy it was made before my time and I had no input on that. At the Aero, we install and align a 7kW bulb for 3-D digital presentations (a 3kW bulb is used for 2-D), the largest the projector can take. Only special venue type projectors can take bigger ones.

The week after your screening, a Disney representative attended a tech check for rental event and was very satisfied with the 3-D light level. So was Wim Wenders when he attended a screening of Pina and did a Q & A afterwards, too, as was a co-worker of yours who attended a tech check for September Storm, at which I was present, a few days before the show. He did not indicate to me that he had a problem with the light level. We did identify a fault with the sound on your DCP (mono audio duplicated on channels 1 through 3 - should have been on 3 only), and a corrected version was made for the show, but that did not affect the light level, obviously.

I do know that theoretically, we're supposed to deliver 14ft-l per eye per SMPTE specs, but in the real world that's about as likely to happen as everyone sticking to 65mph on the 10 in the middle of the night. That's why most studios grade their DCPs for 4ft-l projection, and Disney for 6. 14 simply cannot be achieved without dual stack projectors (both top end models) or big ass laser, and I doubt if you'll find many repertory/rerelease/arthouse venues around which can offer that.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: