Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » 2016 Blu-Ray player recommendations

Author Topic: 2016 Blu-Ray player recommendations
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-06-2016 11:27 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our wonderful Oppo blu-ray player (which has always been kind of quirky, requiring a lot of unplug-and-reboots to make it work) has finally just stopped working completely.

What are the latest and greatest BR player recommendations, specifically those where the onscreen pause/play etc. displays can be turned off?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-06-2016 11:47 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

How old is your Oppo? Oppo will repair it. It came with a 2-year warranty. The Oppo BDP-103 remains a good seller for us and none of our customers are reporting issues with them. The only one that did have an issue said that after a firmware update, the problem they had vanished.

Oppo has three current models. The BDP-103 (99.99 % of our Oppo sales), the BDP-105 (esoteric with better audio D/A converters and forces the Darby video enhancement) and the new, lower cost but less feature laden BDT-101CI.

Watch out on the newish Denon DN-500BD. It claims to remove the OSD with its OSD OFF button but it does NOT keep the play/pause icons off the screen. I hear there maybe a fix for that on the next firmware release.

Note, that this is the year of UHD so I suspect that Oppo and others will have something out in that world before the end of the year.

If you are interested in giving Oppo another try, contact me off line and I'll get you pricing.

Andrew Leist
Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2016 12:09 PM      Profile for Andrew Leist   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Leist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oppo just repaired my BDP-83 for $79 (plus about $15 to ship it to them). Works great.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-06-2016 05:45 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Oppo is still the way to go. I am actually surprised that Mike had issues with his, as the ones that I know well tend to be pretty solid. When I have had issues, they have been with the disks themselves or the format, not the player.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2016 06:46 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what Mike is talking about. My Oppo BDP-103 is a fine machine, but I notice if you get a little too fast with the remote control buttons, push multiple things a little too quickly, it will freeze. Sometimes waiting a few minutes and then pushing power off will unlock it, sometimes you have to yoink the power cable. Annoying, but otherwise a great player.

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-06-2016 09:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you reported it to Oppo and are you on current firmware?

I must admit, those that we have in in more complex environments, we have on RS232 control, not remote.

Jason Raftery
Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2016 09:53 PM      Profile for Jason Raftery   Email Jason Raftery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have run into problems with the BDP-103 and its HDMI inputs not switching cleanly resulting in HDMI handshake issues or (less commonly) a total lockup of the Oppo. I have 25+ of these units out in the field and it can happen with any of them. I've called Oppo about it multiple times but it's clear they don't particularly care about addressing problems with player's the HDMI inputs. I, too, have seen the remote control problems Mike and Mark noted. Blu-ray and DVD playback has been very reliable, however.

Curiosity question: has anyone successfully used a GDC to control a BDP-103 over RS232?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-06-2016 10:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Ogden
My Oppo BDP-103 is a fine machine, but I notice if you get a little too fast with the remote control buttons, push multiple things a little too quickly, it will freeze. Sometimes waiting a few minutes and then pushing power off will unlock it, sometimes you have to yoink the power cable.
Yes! That's exactly what mine was doing. I got used to pressing the buttons more slowly. When it would freeze up, usually the power reboot would fix it, but now it just won't come on at all. I've tried a new power cable and I know the AC outlet works.

Mine is a BDP-83 and is 6 years old, and I haven't done the firmware check yet -- but, if it won't even power up, that probably won't work anyway.

The last time we had serious problems with it (maybe 3 years ago), it would load a disk but wouldn't play. I did find a firmware update and that fixed the problem. Since then I've checked the firmware a couple of times but never found another update, so finally a year or so ago I stopped checking. But that'll be my last resort... if I can get it to power up, that is.

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-07-2016 10:03 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard about the HDMI switching not being clean (it is a "glitch-switch" and not a proper switcher. We've normally used it to allow for things like a lap top to be plugged in...not for proper switching.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-07-2016 07:35 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Playstation 3 is still the best Blu-ray player available, however it may not be what you need. I don't recall if there's way to have the disc auto-play upon insertion without having to wander through the GUI first. It won't support 3D and high-res audio out simultaneously (but 3D's already a dead format anyway... once again) and it doesn't support 4K Blu-rays (which are only upscaled from 2K anyway).

Oh, I guess Playstation 4 is pretty good as well but they cost more monies.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2016 10:26 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny thing is that the PS3 had a hell of a better Blu-ray player than the PS4 in my opinion, mostly due to the software interface and options for setting either lossless audio bitsream or LPCM bitstream.

Too bad you can't disable the OSD because besides that, it's a terrific all around player, inexpensive, and you could fire up Grand Theft Auto on your movie sized screen whenever.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: