Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » May the 4th be with you / retrospective article

Author Topic: May the 4th be with you / retrospective article
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2016 12:38 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy "May the 4th be with you" Day, and for the occasion I'm sharing the link to one of my retrospective articles since I chickened out of sharing it here late last year when it first published.

Now, I'm bending the forum rules by posting only the first few paragraphs because (1) apparently the article contains some words that are flagged by a filter (probably a certain city that's home to a certain former forum member), and (2) the article is quite large at 20,000 words.

Hopefully, you'll find the piece historically interesting and/or nostalgic. And I should also mention I'll be updating it next year for the 40th anniversary, so please don't hesitate to inform me of any omissions, corrections, suggestions, etc. Either email me or make your comments a part of the discussion here.

Thanks. Enjoy!

A Force to be Reckoned With

quote:
A FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH by Michael Coate

“Star Wars is a landmark film, a work of such soaring imagination that it will set standards for years to come.” — Bob Thomas, Associated Press

On the eve of the release of the eagerly-awaited "Episode VII: The Force Awakens," The Digital Bits and History, Legacy & Showmanship offer a look back at the original "Star Wars," George Lucas’ legendary space opera that introduced the world to The Force and a host of memorable characters.

Like our previous "Star Wars" retrospectives, this new article features passages from vintage film reviews, a compilation of box-office data that places the movie’s performance in context, a chronological listing of the first-run theatrical presentations, and, finally, an interview segment with a group of historians and filmmakers who discuss the attributes of "Star Wars" and analyze why after four decades and multiple generations of fans "Star Wars" is as popular as ever. The article offers a nostalgic and historical look back at a time before "Star Wars" was a franchise or a brand and was simply, "Star Wars." And the engagements feature, in particular, presents a striking contrast to differences in 1970s era moviegoing with those of contemporary moviegoing (and may very well challenge readers’ memories of when and where they saw the movie).

[snip...]

|  IP: Logged

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2016 10:39 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys must think I enjoy the sound of crickets.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-09-2016 10:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not everybody comments on everything they see. They read, they move on.

F-T doesn't have a "like" button unfortunately.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2016 09:46 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shared it on our Facebook page, does that count?

https://www.facebook.com/thebscg/

I thought it was an interesting article, and was worth sharing it with our readers.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2016 10:18 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused. Are you not allowed to make a post that has the name of a certain city in it?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-12-2016 12:03 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few certain people's names and company names that will get 'kicked out' by the FT software. I didn't know about any city names being on the naughty list but I guess there is one (or more?)

Would be an interesting list to see!

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2016 10:03 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, I'm part of the crowd thinking that that non-existent "like" button would be great for your several retrospective+interview posts, but otherwise haven't had a reason to reply. That is, until I recently watched a newly-acquired old Aetna driver's ed film (I.D.P.E.: "From Identify to Execute") shot around Baltimore (Hamilton area). So the film viewers are instructed to make a left turn in their simulators, leaving E. Northern Parkway and turning onto Harford Road. On the far right corner you can see Northern Pharmacy, and next to it a movie theater. Turns out it's Northway Theater, which you can see at Cinematour as well as at Cinematreasures.

Both sites are slightly off in their date of the impending date of the theater's closure, because on the marquee you can clearly see "Smokey and the Bandit"(5/1977), and on the front "Coming Soon / Star Wars / July 21." Thus we know this footage was shot in late May, June, or early July of 1977! The question is: did the theater close before being able to open Star Wars? It didn't make your list, Michael, interestingly enough.

-

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2016 01:36 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Brandenstein
Turns out it's Northway Theater...on the marquee you can clearly see "Smokey and the Bandit"(5/1977), and on the front "Coming Soon / Star Wars / July 21." Thus we know this footage was shot in late May, June, or early July of 1977! The question is: did the theater close before being able to open Star Wars? It didn't make your list, Michael, interestingly enough.
I believe that image is actually from 1978. "Star Wars" had a massive, saturation re-release/general release during the summer of 1978 where it played a ton of neighborhood houses and drive-ins. And in checking my 1978 file (unpublished), looky what turns up....

quote: Michael Coate
1978-07-21 … Bakersfield, CA — 99 Drive-In
1978-07-21 … Bakersfield, CA — Tejon
1978-07-21 … Ballston Spa, NY — Malta Drive-In
1978-07-21 … Baltimore, MD — Charles
1978-07-21 … Baltimore, MD — North Point Drive-In
1978-07-21 … Baltimore, MD — Northway
1978-07-21 … Baltimore, MD — Rotunda Twin
1978-07-21 … Barberton, OH — West
1978-07-21 … Barrie, ON — Barrie Twin Drive-In
1978-07-21 … Barrie, ON — Imperial Triplex
1978-07-21 … Barstow, CA — Barstow Twin

And to be thorough, I've re-checked my 1977 files for the Baltimore market bookings and can conclude what's present in the article is correct and complete (i.e. Charles, Patterson, Westview, Jumpers Mall, Towson -- all opening June 17th). This isn't to say that there aren't any omissions in the article. There certainly are, but I don't think the Northway run is one of them.

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2016 11:50 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty conclusive, then. The Aetna film actually bears a 1978 copyright date; your new list quote shows an exact hit corresponding to my frame grab; and we know the theater went out of business shortly thereafter. Kinda makes sense... they were playing movies a year off of release. Ouch.

Thanks, Michael!

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2017 05:29 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a heads up that one day next week for its 40th anniversary I'll be updating and re-publishing my "Star Wars" retrospective (linked in the first comment above). So if you have any feedback (corrections, comments, suggestions, etc.), now would be the time to do so. Thanks!

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2017 03:55 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And here's the updated article....

I'm sorry I don't know how to write short articles. ;-)

A Force To Be Reckoned With: Remembering "Star Wars" On Its 40th Anniversary

quote:
A FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH: REMEMBERING “STAR WARS” ON ITS 40TH ANNIVERSARY

By Michael Coate

“Star Wars is a landmark film, a work of such soaring imagination that it will set standards for years to come.” — Bob Thomas, Associated Press

[This article includes material from previously published articles.]

The Digital Bits and History, Legacy & Showmanship are pleased to present this retrospective article commemorating the 40th anniversary of the release of Star Wars, George Lucas’ legendary space opera that introduced the world to The Force and a host of memorable planets, spaceships and characters.

Like our previous Star Wars retrospectives (The Empire Strikes Back 35th and Return of the Jedi 30th), this new article features passages from vintage film reviews, a compilation of box-office data that places the movie’s performance in context, a chronological listing of the first-run theatrical presentations, and, finally, an interview segment with a group of historians and filmmakers who discuss the attributes of Star Wars and analyze why, after four decades and multiple generations of fans, Star Wars is as popular as ever.

The article offers a nostalgic and historical look back at a time before Star Wars was a franchise or a brand and was simply… Star Wars. And the engagements feature, in particular, presents a striking contrast to differences in 1970s era moviegoing with those of contemporary moviegoing (and may very well challenge readers’ memories of when and where they saw the movie).

STAR WARS NUMBER$

1 = Rank among all-time top-grossing films (adjusted for inflation; excluding re-issues)*
1 = Rank on list of top-grossing films of 20th Century Fox’s 1977 slate
1 = Rank on list of top-grossing films of 1977*
1 = Rank on list of top-grossing films of summer 1977 moviegoing season
1 = Rank on list of top box-office rentals of 1977*
1 = Rank on all-time list of top film rentals at close of run (domestic)*
1 = Rank on all-time list of top film rentals at close of run (worldwide)*
1 = Rank on all-time list of top-grossing films at close of run (domestic)*
1 = Rank on all-time list of top-grossing films at close of run (worldwide)*
2 = Rank among top-grossing movies during its opening weekend
2 = Rank on current list of all-time top-grossing films (adjusted for inflation; legacy)
6 = Number of years holding #1 spot on list of all-time top-grossing films (1977-83 & 1997-98)
7 = Number of Academy Awards (six competitive plus one special achievement)
10 = Number of Academy Award nominations
11 = Rank on current list of all-time top-grossing films
21 = Number of years 20th Century Fox’s top-earning film
24 = Number of theaters that grossed over $1 million during their engagement
32 = Number of theaters showing the movie on opening day
43 = Number of theaters showing the movie during its opening weekend
60 = Number of months between theatrical release and home-video release
64 = Number of weeks of longest-running engagement (in a single-screen theater)
76 = Number of weeks of longest-running engagement (in a multiplex)
81 = Number of days to surpass $100 million
221 = Number of days to surpass $200 million*
1,756 = Number of opening-week bookings for 1978 general release/re-release*
6,308 = Number of first-run bookings

$36,151 = Opening-weekend per screen average
$254,809 = Opening-day box-office gross
$1.6 million = Opening-weekend box-office gross (3-day)
$2.1 million = Opening-week box-office gross (4-day holiday)
$2.6 million = Opening-week box-office gross (6-day)
$2.9 million = Opening-week box-office gross (7-day)
$3.3 million = Gross of top-earning engagement (Astor Plaza; 61 weeks)*
$10.2 million = Gross for first weekend of general/re-release (1,756 theaters, July 21-23, 1978)*
$11.0 million = Production cost
$17.2 million = Box-office gross (1981 re-release)
$18.0 million = Box-office gross (1982 re-release)
$22.5 million = Box-office gross (1979 re-release)
$43.8 million = Box-office gross (1978 general release/re-release)
$44.4 million = Production cost (adjusted for inflation)
$100.0 million = Approximate revenue during 1977-78 from tie-in merchandise*
$127.0 million = Box-office rental (original release through 12-31-77)*
$133.7 million = Box-office gross (1977 summer, Memorial Day weekend - Labor Day weekend)
$138.3 million = Box-office gross (1997 re-release)
$141.5 million = Box-office rental (international, original release)*
$164.8 million = Box-office rental (original + 1978 general release/re-release)*
$175.8 million = Box-office rental (all releases through 12-31-79)*
$185.1 million = Box-office rental (all releases through 12-31-81)*
$193.5 million = Box-office rental (all releases through 12-31-82)*
$221.3 million = Box-office gross (1977 original release, 5-25-77 through 7-20-78)*
$265.1 million = Box-office gross (original + 1978 general release/re-release)*
$287.6 million = Box-office gross (all releases through 1979)*
$304.8 million = Box-office gross (all releases through 1981)*
$322.8 million = Box-office gross (all releases through 1982)*
$461.1 million = Box-office gross (original + re-releases)*
$1.6 billion = Box-office gross (adjusted for inflation)

*established new industry record

A SAMPLING OF MOVIE REVIEWER QUOTES

“The finest pure entertainment to reach the screen in ages! A concoction of adolescent fun graced by special effects that are in themselves, a celebration of the magic fusions of which only the movies are capable!” — Desmond Ryan, Philadelphia Inquirer

“A hell of a lot of fun…brims with adventure, charm and marvels. I loved it.” — Jack Kroll, Newsweek

“Star Wars will do very nicely for those lucky enough to be children or unlucky enough never to have grown up.” — John Simon, New York Magazine

“[T]he magic of Star Wars is only dramatized by the special effects; the movie’s heart is in its endearingly human (and non-human) people.” — Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

“For two hours, viewers will be caught up in pure, sweet, spellbinding escapism as a fanciful story unfolds with a whirl of dazzling special effects. Not since Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey have the talents of special effects technicians been so generously and ingeniously employed.” — Doug Smith, Omaha World-Herald

“[W]riter-director George Lucas makes a spectacular return to the screen. If anybody wondered where Lucas has been since the release nearly four years ago of American Graffiti, the answer is at hand. Star Wars is the most exciting picture to be released this year—exciting as theater and exciting as cinema. It is the most visually awesome such work to appear since 2001: A Space Odyssey, yet is intriguingly human in its scope and boundaries…. In addition to being a superbly crafted film, Star Wars is that rarest of creatures: The work of art with universal (excuse the pun) appeal. There is in all of us the child who dreams of magical beings and fantastical adventures. On a street level, Rocky fulfilled that need last year. Star Wars takes us beyond the heavens.” — John L. Wasserman, San Francisco Chronicle

“Save for Alec Guinness, the cast is unmemorable. Lucas apparently blew his entire $9.5 million budget on visuals.” — Gene Siskel, Chicago Tribune

“Star Wars may be the greatest comic book movie ever made. The movie is distinguished by great imagination, astonishing technical wizardry and an almost child-like sense of real fun.” — George Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

“Star Wars is one of the most enjoyable movies ever made—a funny, exciting and magnificently spectacular two-hour space fantasy that leaves the audience panting for a sequel.” — Clyde Gilmour, Toronto Star

“This film should clearly establish George Lucas as a major force in Hollywood and hopefully will lead to more movies of this kind.” — Fresno Bee

“The year’s best movie. Star Wars has brought fun back to the movies and glowingly demonstrated they can still make ‘em like they used to. A grand and glorious film.” — Time

“Star Wars radiates pure intergalactic corn…. Star Wars is long on air battles and computer consoles but short on people or any kind of characterization beyond the old comic book figures.” — Frances Taylor, The (Newark) Star-Ledger

“Star Wars attains the spirit of pure, golden adventure which eluded the King Kong remake largely because Lucas never spoofs the genre he celebrates. Despite the familiarity of plot and dialogue, the film is played with dead-center earnestness, and the cast speaks archaic lines without even suggesting a snicker…. John Williams’ majestic, thrilling musical score deserves the best possible sound system; but the entire film is a monument of behind-the-scenes wizardry.” — Philip Wuntch, The Dallas Morning News

“The animation and special effects in Star Wars may not be as fine as Kubrick’s in 2001, nor as perfect or as utterly convincing, but they are much more fun…. Avoiding the traps of pretension, camp, sentimentality or the ‘cutes,’ Star Wars is one of the greatest adventure stories ever filmed.” — David Rosenbaum, The Boston Herald American

“Lucas’ script and his film are a warm mixture of remarkable professionalism and an ingratiating innocence that is almost childlike…. It is, all in all, hard to think of a place or an age group that would not respond to the enthusiastic inventiveness with which Lucas has enshrined his early loves. Star Wars proves again that there is no corporate substitute for the creative passion of the individual film-maker.” — Charles Champlin, Los Angeles Times

“[D]irector Lucas demonstrated a sensitivity to the human comedy in American Graffiti, and it’s a shame that he didn’t let this sensitivity come through again in Star Wars, a $9 million comic strip.” — Richard Dodds, The (New Orleans) Times-Picayune

“Star Wars is like 2001. If you like it at all, one viewing just won’t be enough.” — Ted Mahar, The (Portland) Oregonian

“All the young actors bring breathless excitement to their adventures, lively performances that are counterbalanced by the thoughtful and very good characterization of Alec Guiness…. Lucas has directed this film so tightly that there is not a wasted second on screen and the editing by Paul Hirsch, Marcia Lucas (the director’s wife) and Richard Chew surely will be a contender for next spring’s Oscar…. The appeal of Star Wars is that every member of the audience can become a kid riding through space with the heroes, zapping the bad guys. It’s great fun.” — Michael Janusonis, The Providence Journal

“Is Star Wars worth all the fuss? Most emphatically, yes. Some people will smoke marijuana before seeing it. Some Star Trek fans may be placated for a while. Kids will squeal with delight. And adults who grew up sharing their dreams and joys of George Lucas will find that there is still hope for the world — and films.” — Rick B. Oppenheim, Tallahassee Democrat

“Star Wars is a magnificent film. George Lucas set out to make the biggest possible adventure-fantasy out of his memories of serials and older action epics, and he has succeeded brilliantly…. Lucas’ first feature, THX-1138, was also futuristic in tone, but there the story emphasis was on machines controlling man. But in Star Wars the people remain the masters of the hardware, thereby striking a more resonant note of empathy and hope. This is the kind of film in which the audience, first entertained, can later walk out feeling good all over.” — A.D. Murphy, Variety

“A sci-fi Oz to challenge 2001…. George Lucas began his career as a major-studio director eight years ago with a brief clip from Flash Gordon, shown just before the credits rolled on his somber, science-fiction parable, THX-1138. After taking time out from the genre to make a little movie called American Graffiti, Lucas has now come full circle, deliberately imitating the kind of space opera he loved as a child, but transforming its B-movie tackiness by adding layers of technique, humor and mythical reverberations that surely never crossed the minds of the creators of Flash Gordon. Star Wars borrows from any number of fantasy films and stories, but it never fails to make the old stuff look exhilaratingly new.” — John Hartl, The Seattle Times

“Daring to be different and swimming against the tide is especially dangerous in an expensive medium such as motion pictures but the rewards can be great, if successful. George Lucas has risked his American Graffiti reputation on Star Wars and gotten away with it.... Star Wars is, indeed, a movie that dares to be different, not only in setting, but in theme at a time when imagination has surrendered to realism in motion pictures. If you don’t enjoy Star Wars, you are not as young at heart as you think you are.” — James Meade, The San Diego Union

“[Star Wars is] a disarmingly merry and technically unforgettable picture, light years in advance of any English-language movie that has opened in Washington during my tenure as a movie rater. The thing works superlatively well as comedy, suspense story and parodic commentary on the nostalgic aspects of film history. As a stunning spectacle of sound, color and technical imagination, Star Wars is a non-pareil, a movie that would merit universal attendance even if it had nothing else going for it.” — Tom Dowling, The Washington Star

“Star Wars is the most elaborate, most expensive, most beautiful movie serial ever made…. One of Mr. Lucas’s particular achievements is the manner in which he is able to recall the tackiness of the old comic strips and serials he loves without making a movie that is, itself, tacky.” — Vincent Canby, The New York Times

“Writer-director George Lucas has combined a science fiction setting of ‘long ago and far, far away,’ with almost every clichι from past adventure films. To this Lucas has added a refreshing innocence and simplistic view of good and evil and succeeded in creating a film which transcends any descriptive category. It’s a film that anyone but the most incorrigible cynic will enjoy.” — Owen Long, The (Iowa City) Daily Iowan

“Star Wars will completely dazzle you. A spellbinding experience.” — Kathleen Carroll, New York Daily News

“Star Wars will undoubtedly emerge as one of the true classics in the genre of science fiction/fantasy films. In any event, it will be thrilling audiences of all ages for a long time to come.… The film is magnificent in scope, but the script and the engaging performances also add an effective human element to the totally believable technological aspects…. The technical credits are all extraordinary…. The Dolby Sound is also a major asset in that it is sparkling clear and, in the battle sequences, achieves an enveloping, thunderous pitch without any hint of distortion.” — Ron Pennington, The Hollywood Reporter

THE ORIGINAL ENGAGEMENTS

A long time ago in a theater far, far away.… What follows for historical record and nostalgia’s sake is a chronological listing of the original first-run engagements of Star Wars in the United States and Canada, which includes the release date, theater name, and for selected entries the engagement duration (measured in weeks) in parenthesis following the theater name. And, where applicable, any special presentation format notations (i.e. Dolby Stereo, 70mm) have been included.

The primary objective was to focus on the major markets and thus the work is incomplete insofar as accounting for small towns (under 20,000 population) is concerned. This work offers a striking contrast to the modern-day exhibition landscape. To state the exhibition practices and trends of the 1970s were dramatically different from today is an understatement.

1977-05-25 … Beaverton, OR — Westgate Triplex (76) [Dolby] [70mm-Dolby from Week #22]
1977-05-25 … Boston, MA — Charles Triplex (45) [Dolby] [70mm-Dolby from Week #18]
1977-05-25 … Claymont, DE — Eric Tri-State Mall Twin (29)
1977-05-25 … Denver, CO — Cooper (29) [Dolby] [70mm-Dolby from Week #11]
1977-05-25 … Edison, NJ — Menlo Park Twin (30)
1977-05-25 … Fairless Hills, PA — Eric Twin (30)
1977-05-25 … Hicksville, NY — Mid-Island Plaza Twin (29) [70mm-Dolby]
1977-05-25 … Indianapolis, IN — Eastwood (55) [Dolby]
1977-05-25 … Lawrenceville, NJ — Eric Twin (30)
1977-05-25 … Los Angeles (Hollywood), CA — Chinese (4) [70mm-Dolby]
1977-05-25 … Los Angeles (Westwood Village), CA — Avco Center Triplex (25) [70mm-Dolby]
1977-05-25 … Louisville, KY — Showcase 7-Plex (60) [Dolby]
1977-05-25 … Milan, IL — Showcase 6-Plex (30) [Dolby]
1977-05-25 … New York (Manhattan), NY — Astor Plaza (61) [70mm-Dolby]
1977-05-25 … New York (Manhattan), NY — Orpheum (27) [70mm-Dolby]
1977-05-25 … Orange, CA — City Center Twin (30) [70mm-Dolby]
1977-05-25 … Paramus, NJ — Route 4 Triplex (30) [70mm-Dolby]
1977-05-25 … Pennsauken, NJ — Eric Twin (30)
1977-05-25 … Philadelphia, PA — Eric’s Place (23)
1977-05-25 … Phoenix, AZ — Cine Capri (60) [70mm-Dolby from Week #17]
1977-05-25 … Pittsburgh, PA — Showcase 4-Plex (42) [Dolby]
1977-05-25 … Roseville, MN — Roseville 4-Plex (55) [Dolby]
1977-05-25 … Sacramento, CA — Century 5-Plex (60) [Dolby from Week #25]
1977-05-25 … Saint Louis Park, MN — Park (57) [70mm-Dolby from Week #31]
1977-05-25 … Salt Lake City, UT — Centre (54) [70mm-Dolby from Week #11]
1977-05-25 … San Diego, CA — Valley Circle (57) [70mm-Dolby from Week #38]
1977-05-25 … San Francisco, CA — Coronet (29) [70mm-Dolby]
1977-05-25 … San Jose, CA — Century 22 Triplex (60) [70mm-Dolby from Week #27]
1977-05-25 … Seattle, WA — Cinema 150 (60) [Dolby] [70mm-Dolby from Week #13]
1977-05-25 … Southfield, MI — Americana 4-Plex (29) [Dolby] [70mm-Dolby from Week #25]
1977-05-25 … Springdale, OH — Showcase 5-Plex (59) [Dolby]
1977-05-25 … Washington, DC — Uptown (55) [Dolby] [70mm-Dolby from Week #30]

1977-05-26 … Overland Park, KS — Glenwood Twin (56) [Dolby]

1977-05-27 … Calumet City, IL — River Oaks Triplex (29)
1977-05-27 … Chicago, IL — Esquire (18) [Dolby]
1977-05-27 … Creve Coeur, MO — Creve Coeur (10) [Dolby]
1977-05-27 … Dallas, TX — Northpark West Twin (54) [70mm-Dolby from Week #31]
1977-05-27 … Dayton, OH — Dayton Mall 4-Plex (29) [Dolby]
1977-05-27 … Des Moines, IA — River Hills (29) [Dolby]
1977-05-27 … Houston, TX — Galleria 4-Plex (60) [70mm-Dolby from Week #31]
1977-05-27 … Lombard, IL — Yorktown 4-Plex (30)
1977-05-27 … Northbrook, IL — Edens Twin (29) [Dolby]
1977-05-27 … Omaha, NE — Cinema Center 4-Plex (21) [Dolby]

1977-06-01 … Erlanger, KY — Showcase 5-Plex (58) [Dolby]
1977-06-01 … Los Angeles (Chatsworth), CA — Winnetka 4-Screen Drive-In (#1: 23) [Cine-Fi]
1977-06-01 … Los Angeles (Chatsworth), CA — Winnetka 4-Screen Drive-In (#2: 9) [Cine-Fi]

1977-06-08 … Honolulu, HI — Cinerama (64) [70mm-Dolby from Week #20]
1977-06-08 … Honolulu, HI — Kapiolani (7)
1977-06-08 … Tacoma, WA — Roxy (60)

1977-06-10 … Edison, NJ — Menlo Park Twin (#2: 1)

1977-06-15 … Ann Arbor, MI — The Movies at Briarwood 4-Plex (33)
1977-06-15 … Billings, MT — Rimrock 4-Plex (27)
1977-06-15 … Bloomington, IL — Eastland Triplex (27)
1977-06-15 … Boise, ID — Plaza Twin (27)
1977-06-15 … Boulder, CO — Flatirons (27)
1977-06-15 … Bremerton, WA — Roxy (9)
1977-06-15 … Cedar Rapids, IA — Plaza (26)
1977-06-15 … Champaign, IL — Virginia (26)
1977-06-15 … Decatur, IL — Rogers (27)
1977-06-15 … Dubuque, IA — Grand (18)
1977-06-15 … Duluth, MN — Cinema Twin (27)
1977-06-15 … Eau Claire, WI — State (8)
1977-06-15 … Everett, WA — Everett Motor Movie Drive-In (19)
1977-06-15 … Fort Collins, CO — Fox (24)
1977-06-15 … Fort Wayne, IN — Gateway Triplex (27)
1977-06-15 … Fort Wayne, IN — Southtown Mall Twin (27)
1977-06-15 … Idaho Falls, ID — Paramount (27)
1977-06-15 … Jackson, MI — Westwood Twin (19)
1977-06-15 … Kentwood, MI — The Movies at Woodland Triplex (46)
1977-06-15 … Lexington, KY — Lexington Mall Twin (26)
1977-06-15 … Lexington, KY — Turfland Mall Twin (26)
1977-06-15 … Logan, UT — Cache Valley Mall Triplex (22)
1977-06-15 … Missoula, MT — Mann Triplex (26)
1977-06-15 … Peoria, IL — Rialto (27)
1977-06-15 … Rochester, MN — Cinema Twin (26)
1977-06-15 … Rockford, IL — CherryVale Triplex (27)
1977-06-15 … Sioux Falls, SD — West Mall Twin (26)
1977-06-15 … Springfield, IL — Capital City (27)
1977-06-15 … Waterloo, IA — Strand (18)
1977-06-15 … Waukegan, IL — Genesee (13)

1977-06-16 … Ames, IA — Mall Twin (23)
1977-06-16 … Bismarck, ND — Dakota Twin (10)
1977-06-16 … Iowa City, IA — Englert (7)

1977-06-17 … Altamonte Springs, FL — Altamonte Mall Twin (20)
1977-06-17 … Asheville, NC — Merrimon Twin (22)
1977-06-17 … Baltimore, MD — Charles (21)
1977-06-17 … Baltimore, MD — Patterson Twin (33) [Dolby from Week #28]
1977-06-17 … Biloxi, MS — Surfside 4-Plex (27)
1977-06-17 … Boca Raton, FL — Boca Mall 6-Plex (#1: 25)
1977-06-17 … Boca Raton, FL — Boca Mall 6-Plex (#2: 6)
1977-06-17 … Bradenton, FL — Bayshore Twin (27)
1977-06-17 … Catonsville, MD — Westview 4-Plex (27)
1977-06-17 … Charleston, WV — Capitol (27)
1977-06-17 … Chattanooga, TN — Northgate Triplex (23)
1977-06-17 … Clearwater, FL — Countryside 6-Plex (#1: 39)
1977-06-17 … Clearwater, FL — Countryside 6-Plex (#2: 6)
1977-06-17 … Columbia, SC — Spring Valley 4-Plex (26) [Dolby from Week #6]
1977-06-17 … Dania Beach, FL — Hi-Way Airport 9-Screen Drive-In (24)
1977-06-17 … Daytona Beach, FL — Bellair Plaza Twin (18)
1977-06-17 … Daytona Beach, FL — Daytona 6-Plex (#1: 46)
1977-06-17 … Daytona Beach, FL — Daytona 6-Plex (#2: 3)
1977-06-17 … Delray Beach, FL — Delray Twin Drive-In (4)
1977-06-17 … Fayetteville, NC — Cross Creek Mall Triplex (27)
1977-06-17 … Florence, SC — Julia 4-Plex (19)
1977-06-17 … Fort Lauderdale, FL — Sunrise Triplex (25)
1977-06-17 … Fort Myers, FL — McGregor 4-Plex (27)
1977-06-17 … Fort Oglethorpe, GA — Southgate Twin (8)
1977-06-17 … Fort Worth, TX — Opera House (39) [Dolby from Week #28]
1977-06-17 … Gainesville, FL — Royal Park 4-Plex (27)
1977-06-17 … Goodlettsville, TN — Cinema North 4-Plex (27)
1977-06-17 … Great Falls, MT — Fox (21)
1977-06-17 … Greensboro, NC — Janus 7-Plex (#1: 64) [Dolby]
1977-06-17 … Greensboro, NC — Janus 7-Plex (#2: 6) [Dolby]
1977-06-17 … Hermitage, TN — Hermitage 4-Plex (8)
1977-06-17 … Hollywood, FL — Cine Twin (25)
1977-06-17 … Houma, LA — Southland Twin (13)
1977-06-17 … Houston, TX — Galleria 4-Plex (#2: 6)
1977-06-17 … Huntsville, AL — University 4-Plex (25)
1977-06-17 … Jacksonville, FL — Plaza Twin (25)
1977-06-17 … Kalamazoo, MI — Maple Hill Mall Twin (27)
1977-06-17 … Lakeland, FL — Grove Twin (26)
1977-06-17 … Lauderhill, FL — Inverrary Triplex (#1: 25)
1977-06-17 … Lauderhill, FL — Inverrary Triplex (#2: 1)
1977-06-17 … Margate, FL — Lake Shore 4-Screen Drive-In (#1: 11)
1977-06-17 … Margate, FL — Lake Shore 4-Screen Drive-In (#2: 2)
1977-06-17 … Merritt Island, FL — Merritt Square 6-Plex (27)
1977-06-17 … Metairie, LA — Lakeside 4-Plex (26)
1977-06-17 … Miami, FL — Cutler Ridge Twin (23)
1977-06-17 … Miami, FL — Dixie Drive-In (6)
1977-06-17 … Miami Beach, FL — Normandy (17)
1977-06-17 … Nashville, TN — Cinema South 4-Plex (36)
1977-06-17 … Neptune Beach, FL — Neptune (22)
1977-06-17 … Norman, OK — Satellite Twin (20)
1977-06-17 … Norridge, IL — Norridge 4-Plex (27)
1977-06-17 … North Miami Beach, FL — 170th Street Twin (20)
1977-06-17 … North Myrtle Beach, SC — Ocean Twin (8)
1977-06-17 … Oklahoma City, OK — North Park 4-Plex (21)
1977-06-17 … Opa-locka, FL — Golden Glades Twin Drive-In (#1: 6)
1977-06-17 … Opa-locka, FL — Golden Glades Twin Drive-In (#2: 2)
1977-06-17 … Orange Park, FL — Kingsley Twin (21)
1977-06-17 … Orem, UT — University Twin (27)
1977-06-17 … Orland Park, IL — Orland Square 4-Plex (26)
1977-06-17 … Orlando, FL — Fashion Square 4-Plex (27)
1977-06-17 … Orlando, FL — University Twin Drive-In (24)
1977-06-17 … Pasadena, MD — Jumpers Mall Triplex (27)
1977-06-17 … Pinellas Park, FL — Pinellas Square Triplex (53)
1977-06-17 … Pompano Beach, FL — Highway Drive-In
1977-06-17 … Saint Petersburg, FL — Plaza Twin (20)
1977-06-17 … Sarasota, FL — Bee Ridge Twin Drive-In (6)
1977-06-17 … Satellite Beach, FL — Satellite Twin (27)
1977-06-17 … South Miami, FL — Sunset (10)
1977-06-17 … Spartanburg, SC — Royal Twin (21)
1977-06-17 … Tampa, FL — Eastlake Square Triplex (6)
1977-06-17 … Tampa, FL — Tampa Bay Mall Twin (33)
1977-06-17 … Tampa, FL — University Square Twin (27)
1977-06-17 … Towson, MD — Towson (27)
1977-06-17 … West Palm Beach, FL — Cinema 70 (27)
1977-06-17 … Westchester, FL — Westchester Twin (23)
1977-06-17 … Winston-Salem, NC — Parkview Twin (27)

1977-06-22 … Appleton, WI — Viking (26)
1977-06-22 … Brookfield, WI — Brookfield Square Twin (26)
1977-06-22 … Burlingame, CA — Burlingame 4-Screen Drive-In (19)
1977-06-22 … Campbell, CA — Winchester 5-Screen Drive-In (34)
1977-06-22 … Capitola, CA — 41st Avenue Playhouse Triplex (26) [Dolby]
1977-06-22 … Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA — Golden Bough (26)
1977-06-22 … Cedarburg, WI — Rivoli (9)
1977-06-22 … Chico, CA — El Rey (26)
1977-06-22 … Colonie, NY — Northway Mall Cine 6-Plex (62)
1977-06-22 … Colorado Springs, CO — Citadel Twin (26)
1977-06-22 … Concord, CA — Concord Auto Movies Drive-In (26)
1977-06-22 … Daly City, CA — Geneva 3-Screen Drive-In (18)
1977-06-22 … Elmira, NY — Elmira Triplex (22)
1977-06-22 … Fayetteville, NY — Fayetteville Mall Triplex (26)
1977-06-22 … Fresno, CA — Festival 6-Plex (#1: 63) [Dolby from Week #27]
1977-06-22 … Fresno, CA — Festival 6-Plex (#2: 17)
1977-06-22 … Green Bay, WI — Vic (25)
1977-06-22 … Greenfield, WI — Spring Mall Triplex (52) [Dolby from Week #9]
1977-06-22 … Hayward, CA — Festival 6-Plex (38) [Dolby]
1977-06-22 … Ithaca, NY — State Twin (26)
1977-06-22 … Johnson City, NY — Oakdale Mall Triplex (26)
1977-06-22 … Las Vegas, NV — Parkway Triplex (25)
1977-06-22 … Lincoln, NE — Stuart (26) [Dolby]
1977-06-22 … Liverpool, NY — Bayberry (63)
1977-06-22 … Madison, WI — Strand (26) [Dolby from Week #15]
1977-06-22 … Madison, WI — West Towne Mall Twin (26)
1977-06-22 … Manitowoc, WI — Strand
1977-06-22 … Merced, CA — United Artists (20)
1977-06-22 … Milwaukee, WI — Mill Road Triplex (59) [Dolby from Week #9]
1977-06-22 … Mountain View, CA — Old Mill 6-Plex (#1: 49)
1977-06-22 … Mountain View, CA — Old Mill 6-Plex (#2: 26)
1977-06-22 … Oakland, CA — Coliseum 3-Screen Drive-In (18)
1977-06-22 … Oakland, CA — Piedmont (33) [Dolby]
1977-06-22 … Oconomowoc, WI — Scotsland Twin (25) [Dolby]
1977-06-22 … Oshkosh, WI — Cinema Twin (8)
1977-06-22 … Pittsford, NY — Loews Triplex (32)
1977-06-22 … Pueblo, CO — Cooper (21)
1977-06-22 … Queensbury, NY — Aviation Mall Triplex (26)
1977-06-22 … Redding, CA — Movies Triplex (36)
1977-06-22 … Reno, NV — Keystone (25)
1977-06-22 … Richmond, CA — Hilltop Mall 4-Plex (26)
1977-06-22 … Riverdale, UT — Cinedome 70 Twin (21) [Dolby from Week #17]
1977-06-22 … Sacramento, CA — Sacramento 6-Screen Drive-In (34)
1977-06-22 … Salinas, CA — Salinas 4-Screen Drive-In (19)
1977-06-22 … San Carlos, CA — Laurel (25) [Dolby]
1977-06-22 … San Rafael, CA — Northgate (25)
1977-06-22 … Sheboygan, WI — Wisconsin (22)
1977-06-22 … Stevens Point, WI — Campus (10)
1977-06-22 … Stockton, CA — Festival 4-Plex (34) [Dolby]
1977-06-22 … Walnut Creek, CA — Festival 5-Plex (63) [Dolby]
1977-06-22 … Yuba City, CA — Sutter (20)

1977-06-23 … Hastings, NE — Strand (5)

1977-06-24 … Akron, OH — Chapel Hill Triplex (26)
1977-06-24 … Alexandria, LA — Alexandria Mall Twin (21)
1977-06-24 … Altoona, PA — Logan Valley Mall 4-Plex (26)
1977-06-24 … Arlington, TX — Six Flags Mall Twin (25)
1977-06-24 … Ashtabula, OH — Cinema Center 4-Plex
1977-06-24 … Austin, TX — Capitol Plaza (25)
1977-06-24 … Avon Lake, OH — Avon Lake (26)
1977-06-24 … Baton Rouge, LA — Bon Marche Twin (17)
1977-06-24 … Baton Rouge, LA — University 4-Plex (39) [Dolby]
1977-06-24 … Beckley, WV — Beckley (19)
1977-06-24 … Beloit, WI — Majestic
1977-06-24 … Bloomington, IN — Towne Triplex (30)
1977-06-24 … Boardman, OH — Southern Park Twin (26)
1977-06-24 … Brockton, MA — Westgate Mall 5-Plex (26)
1977-06-24 … Burlington, ON — Skyway Plaza Twin (26)
1977-06-24 … Calgary, AB — North Hill (26)
1977-06-24 … Calgary, AB — Stampede Drive-In (6)
1977-06-24 … Calgary, AB — Uptown Twin (26)
1977-06-24 … Canton, OH — McKinley Twin (26)
1977-06-24 … Cape Girardeau, MO — Town Plaza Twin (20)
1977-06-24 … Center, PA — Beaver Valley Mall Triplex (26)
1977-06-24 … Chateauguay, QC — Chateauguay Drive-In (3)
1977-06-24 … Cleveland Heights, OH — Severance Twin (26)
1977-06-24 … Columbia, SC — Columbia East Twin (10)
1977-06-24 … Columbus, IN — Courthouse Twin (6)
1977-06-24 … Columbus, OH — Raintree Triplex (53) [Dolby]
1977-06-24 … Columbus, OH — University Flick Twin (42)
1977-06-24 … Coshocton, OH — Plaza Twin (6)
1977-06-24 … Edgartown, MA — Town Hall (12*)
1977-06-24 … Edmonton, AB — Belmont Drive-In (10)
1977-06-24 … Edmonton, AB — Meadowlark (26)
1977-06-24 … Edmonton, AB — Odeon Twin (47)
1977-06-24 … Edmonton, AB — Twin Drive-In (9)
1977-06-24 … El Paso, TX — Cielo Vista Mall Triplex (26)
1977-06-24 … Elkhart, IN — Concord Mall Twin (26)
1977-06-24 … Erie, PA — Cinema World 4-Plex (26)
1977-06-24 … Erie, PA — Millcreek Mall Triplex (26)
1977-06-24 … Evansville, IN — East Park Triplex (26)
1977-06-24 … Evansville, IN — Washington Twin (50)
1977-06-24 … Fairlawn, OH — Summit Mall Twin (26)
1977-06-24 … Fairview Park, OH — Fairview Twin (26)
1977-06-24 … Fayetteville, AR — Razorback Twin (26)
1977-06-24 … Findlay, OH — Cinema World Twin (22)
1977-06-24 … Fond du Lac, WI — Retlaw (8)
1977-06-24 … Grand Forks, ND — Plaza Twin (18)
1977-06-24 … Grand Island, NE — Capitol (8)
1977-06-24 … Greenville, SC — Astro Twin (22)
1977-06-24 … Greensburg, PA — Greengate Mall Triplex (26)
1977-06-24 … Hamilton, ON — Centre Twin (#1: 46)
1977-06-24 … Hamilton, ON — Centre Twin (#2: 3)
1977-06-24 … Hamilton, ON — Hamilton Drive-In (9)
1977-06-24 … Harrisburg, PA — East Park Center Twin (26)
1977-06-24 … Hendersonville, NC — Carolina Twin (7)
1977-06-24 … Hollywood, FL — Cine Twin (#2: 1)
1977-06-24 … Hot Springs, AR — Paramount
1977-06-24 … Huntington, WV — Cinema (26) [Dolby]
1977-06-24 … Johnstown, PA — Richland Mall Twin (23)
1977-06-24 … Jonesboro, AR — Caraway Plaza Twin (26)
1977-06-24 … Kankakee, IL — Town
1977-06-24 … Kokomo, IN — Kokomo Mall Triplex (7)
1977-06-24 … Lancaster, OH — Cinema Twin (19)
1977-06-24 … Lancaster, PA — RKO Twin (26)
1977-06-24 … Latrobe, PA — Laurel 30 (17)
1977-06-24 … Lawrence, MA — Showcase 4-Plex (19)
1977-06-24 … Lima, OH — Eastgate Twin (26)
1977-06-24 … Little Rock, AR — Cinema Twin (20)
1977-06-24 … Logansport, IN — The Movies at Cass Plaza Triplex (7)
1977-06-24 … London, ON — Twilight Drive-In (7)
1977-06-24 … London, ON — Westmount Twin (#1: 63)
1977-06-24 … London, ON — Westmount Twin (#2: 7)
1977-06-24 … Los Angeles (Hollywood), CA — Hollywood (6) [70mm-Dolby]
1977-06-24 … Lubbock, TX — South Plains Twin (25)
1977-06-24 … Marion, IN — Plaza Twin (18)
1977-06-24 … Marshalltown, IA — Orpheum (5)
1977-06-24 … Marshfield, WI — Rogers Triplex (5)
1977-06-24 … Mason City, IA — Palace
1977-06-24 … Memphis, TN — Memphian (25)
1977-06-24 … Memphis, TN — Paramount Twin (25)
1977-06-24 … Mentor, OH — Mentor Mall Triplex (26)
1977-06-24 … Middletown, OH — Colonial (6)
1977-06-24 … Midlothian, VA — Chesterfield Triplex (26)
1977-06-24 … Mississauga, ON — Sheridan Twin (26)
1977-06-24 … Mobile, AL — Village 4-Plex (25)
1977-06-24 … Monroe, LA — Plaza (16)
1977-06-24 … Montreal, QC — Bonaventure Twin (34)
1977-06-24 … Montreal, QC — Cote-des-Neiges Twin (#1: 39)
1977-06-24 … Montreal, QC — Cote-des-Neiges Twin (#2: 4)
1977-06-24 … Montreal, QC — Place Victoria (21)
1977-06-24 … Muncie, IN — Northwest Plaza Twin (26)
1977-06-24 … New Philadelphia, OH — Cinema Center Triplex (18)
1977-06-24 … New Westminster, BC — Westminster Drive-In (8)
1977-06-24 … Newark, OH — Cinema 4-Plex (26)
1977-06-24 … Niles, OH — Eastwood Twin (26)
1977-06-24 … North Little Rock, AR — McCain Mall Twin (26)
1977-06-24 … North Randall, OH — Randall Park Triplex (26)
1977-06-24 … North York, ON — Fairview Twin (63)
1977-06-24 … Oak Bluffs, MA — Island (12*)
1977-06-24 … Oak Bluffs, MA — Strand (12*)
1977-06-24 … Okemos, MI — Meridian 8-Plex (#1: 26)
1977-06-24 … Okemos, MI — Meridian 8-Plex (#2: 20)
1977-06-24 … Ontario, OH — Richland Mall Triplex (26)
1977-06-24 … Parma, OH — Parmatown Triplex (26)
1977-06-24 … Pensacola, FL — Plaza Twin (19)
1977-06-24 … Pickering, ON — Te Pee Drive-In (9)
1977-06-24 … Pocatello, ID — Crest (18)
1977-06-24 … Quincy, IL — Adams Twin (20)
1977-06-24 … Racine, WI — Cinema Twin (25)
1977-06-24 … Reading, PA — Fox North (32) [Dolby from Week #22]
1977-06-24 … Richmond, IN — Sidewalk (20)
1977-06-24 … Richmond, VA — Ridge 4-Plex (38)
1977-06-24 … Saint Catharines, ON — Canadian Drive-In (4)
1977-06-24 … Saint Catharines, ON — Town Twin (9)
1977-06-24 … Saint-Eustache, QC — St-Eustache 3-Screen Drive-In (4)
1977-06-24 … Santa Rosa, CA — Park Twin (33)
1977-06-24 … Shreveport, LA — St. Vincent 6-Plex (25)
1977-06-24 … Shrewsbury, MA — White City Twin (25)
1977-06-24 … South Bend, IN — Forum Twin (26) [Dolby]
1977-06-24 … Springfield, OH — Regent (19)
1977-06-24 … State College, PA — Garden (11)
1977-06-24 … Steubenville, OH — Fort Steuben Mall Triplex (20)
1977-06-24 … Texarkana, TX — Southwest Mall Triplex
1977-06-24 … Toledo, OH — Showcase 4-Plex (49) [Dolby]
1977-06-24 … Toronto, ON — Danforth (9)
1977-06-24 … Toronto, ON — Finch Triplex (26)
1977-06-24 … Toronto, ON — Varsity Twin (#1: 47) [Dolby]
1977-06-24 … Toronto, ON — Varsity Twin (#2: 9)
1977-06-24 … Tulsa, OK — Southroads Mall (25)
1977-06-24 … Tupelo, MS — Tupelo Twin (8)
1977-06-24 … Uniontown, PA — Uniontown Mall Twin 40 (25)
1977-06-24 … Vancouver, BC — Dunbar (8)
1977-06-24 … Vancouver, BC — Fraser (22)
1977-06-24 … Vancouver, BC — Vogue (25) [Dolby from Week #20]
1977-06-24 … Victoria, BC — Odeon Twin (26)
1977-06-24 … Victoria, BC — Towne (17)
1977-06-24 … Vienna, WV — Grand Central Twin (26)
1977-06-24 … Vineyard Haven, MA — Capawock (12*)
1977-06-24 … Washington, PA — Washington Mall Twin (26)
1977-06-24 … West Lafayette, IN — Cameo Twin (26)
1977-06-24 … West Springfield, MA — Showcase 8-Plex (59)
1977-06-24 … Wheelersburg, OH — Wheelersburg Triplex (9)
1977-06-24 … Whitehall, OH — Cinema East (26) [Dolby]
1977-06-24 … Whitehall, PA — Lehigh Valley Mall Triplex (26)
1977-06-24 … Wichita Falls, TX — Parker Square Twin (19)
1977-06-24 … Winnipeg, MB — Grant Park (26)
1977-06-24 … Winnipeg, MB — Kings (32)
1977-06-24 … Woodbridge, ON — 400 Drive-In (1)
1977-06-24 … Wooster, OH — Wooster (9)
1977-06-24 … Zanesville, OH — Sunrise Triplex (25)

1977-06-29 … Aberdeen, WA — Aberdeen (7)
1977-06-29 … Annapolis, MD — Circle (17)
1977-06-29 … Atlanta, GA — Tara Twin (25)
1977-06-29 … Bozeman, MT — Cinema Twin (15)
1977-06-29 … Butte, MT — Plaza Twin (16)
1977-06-29 … Charleroi, PA — Coyle (15)
1977-06-29 … Chelmsford, MA — Route 3 Cinema City Triplex (49)
1977-06-29 … Corvallis, OR — Cinema World 4-Plex (25) [Dolby]
1977-06-29 … Doraville, GA — Doraville (24)
1977-06-29 … Easton, MD — Avalon (5)
1977-06-29 … Eugene, OR — Mayflower (25) [Dolby]
1977-06-29 … Falls Church, VA — State (25)
1977-06-29 … Frederick, MD — Movies Triplex (19)
1977-06-29 … Greeley, CO — Greeley Mall Twin (25)
1977-06-29 … Greenbelt, MD — Academy 6-Plex (#1: 62)
1977-06-29 … Greenbelt, MD — Academy 6-Plex (#2: 8)
1977-06-29 … Halfway, MD — Valley Mall Triplex (21)
1977-06-29 … Hazel Dell, WA — Hazel Dell Triplex (18) [Dolby]
1977-06-29 … Helena, MT — Gaslight Twin (5)
1977-06-29 … Hyannis, MA — Cape Cod Mall Triplex (25)
1977-06-29 … Jonesboro, GA — Arrowhead Triplex (25)
1977-06-29 … Kalispell, MT — Liberty (18)
1977-06-29 … Laramie, WY — Fox Twin (6)
1977-06-29 … Largo, MD — Hampton Mall Twin (#1: 25)
1977-06-29 … Largo, MD — Hampton Mall Twin (#2: 8)
1977-06-29 … Laurel, MD — Laurel Twin (#1: 37)
1977-06-29 … Laurel, MD — Laurel Twin (#2: 2)
1977-06-29 … Marietta, GA — Cinema 75 Triplex (25)
1977-06-29 … Medford, OR — Craterian
1977-06-29 … New Hartford, NY — New Hartford (18)
1977-06-29 … Newport News, VA — Newmarket Mall 4-Plex (62)
1977-06-29 … Norfolk, VA — Circle 6-Plex (62)
1977-06-29 … Portsmouth, VA — Plaza Triplex (17) [Dolby]
1977-06-29 … Raynham, MA — Route 24 Cinema City
1977-06-29 … Rockville, MD — White Flint 5-Plex (#1: 25)
1977-06-29 … Rockville, MD — White Flint 5-Plex (#2: 2)
1977-06-29 … Salem, OR — Elsinore (25) [Dolby]
1977-06-29 … Spokane, WA — United Artists Twin (25)
1977-06-29 … Twin Falls, ID — Twin (5)
1977-06-29 … Virginia Beach, VA — Hilltop Twin (25)
1977-06-29 … Wausau, WI — Grand (6)
1977-06-29 … Wheeling, WV — Victoria (16)
1977-06-29 … Woodbridge, VA — Marumsco (17)
1977-06-29 … York, PA — York Twin (18)

1977-06-30 … Burlington, IA — Palace (4)
1977-06-30 … Fremont, NE — Cinema Triplex

1977-07-01 … Aberdeen, SD — Capitol (5)
1977-07-01 … Abilene, TX — Westwood Twin (18)
1977-07-01 … Albert Lea, MN — Broadway Twin (4)
1977-07-01 … Albuquerque, NM — Wyoming Mall (24)
1977-07-01 … Alexandria, MN — Andria Twin
1977-07-01 … Amarillo, TX — Cinema Twin (20)
1977-07-01 … Anderson, IN — Mounds Mall Twin (17)
1977-07-01 … Asheboro, NC — Flick (4)
1977-07-01 … Augusta, GA — Cinema Centre Twin (25)
1977-07-01 … Austin, MN — Oak Park Mall Twin (7)
1977-07-01 … Beaumont, TX — Gateway Twin
1977-07-01 … Bend, OR — Bend Triplex (25)
1977-07-01 … Bowling Green, OH — Stadium Twin (7)
1977-07-01 … Bristol, VA — Bristol Mall 4-Plex (25)
1977-07-01 … Brownwood, TX — Cinema Twin (4)
1977-07-01 … Burton, MI — Eastland Mall (24)
1977-07-01 … Butler, PA — Penn (16)
1977-07-01 … Casper, WY — Rialto (17)
1977-07-01 … Chambersburg, PA — Sunset Drive-In (3)
1977-07-01 … Chapel Hill, NC — Varsity (20)
1977-07-01 … Charlotte, NC — Charlottetown Triplex (46)
1977-07-01 … Charlottesville, VA — Greenbrier Twin (21)
1977-07-01 … Clovis, NM — Hilltop Twin (11)
1977-07-01 … Columbia, MO — Forum (25)
1977-07-01 … Columbus, GA — Plaza Twin (19)
1977-07-01 … Concord, NC — Carolina Mall Triplex (6)
1977-07-01 … Dania, FL — Hi-Way Airport 9-Screen Drive-In (#2: 1)
1977-07-01 … Danville, VA — Plaza (5)
1977-07-01 … Dickinson, ND — Dix Twin (3)
1977-07-01 … Durham, NC — Yorktowne Twin (20)
1977-07-01 … East Wenatchee, WA — Columbia Triplex (12+)
1977-07-01 … Eureka, CA — State Triplex (25)
1977-07-01 … Fort Walton Beach, FL — Cinco Triplex (21)
1977-07-01 … Gainesville, GA — Royal (7)
1977-07-01 … Gallup, NM — El Morro (2)
1977-07-01 … Grand Junction, CO — Cooper (16)
1977-07-01 … Greenville, MS — Plaza (6)
1977-07-01 … Hammond, LA — University Twin
1977-07-01 … Hibbing, MN — State
1977-07-01 … Hobbs, NM — Broadmoor (4)
1977-07-01 … Hutchinson, KS — Alco Plaza Twin (8)
1977-07-01 … Jackson, TN — Malco Twin (17)
1977-07-01 … Jacksonville, FL — Northside Twin (22)
1977-07-01 … Johnson City, TN — Parkway (6)
1977-07-01 … Joplin, MO — Northpark Twin (25)
1977-07-01 … Kingsport, TN — Fort Henry 5-Plex (32)
1977-07-01 … Klamath Falls, OR — Tower (15)
1977-07-01 … Kochville, MI — Tri-City 4-Plex (24)
1977-07-01 … La Crosse, WI — Hollywood (16)
1977-07-01 … Las Cruces, NM — Rio Grande (5)
1977-07-01 … Lebanon, PA — Fox Twin (17)
1977-07-01 … Longmont, CO — Parkway (22)
1977-07-01 … Longview, TX — Cinema Twin (18)
1977-07-01 … Lynchburg, VA — Plaza Triplex
1977-07-01 … Manhattan, KS — West Loop Twin (16)
1977-07-01 … Maryland Heights, MO — Westport Twin (25) [Dolby]
1977-07-01 … Midland, MI — Stadium Twin
1977-07-01 … Minot, ND — Oak Park (8)
1977-07-01 … Modesto, CA — Briggsmore (25) [Dolby]
1977-07-01 … Monroe, NC — Village Twin (5)
1977-07-01 … Montgomery, AL — Montgomery Mall (22)
1977-07-01 … Morgantown, WV — Hills Twin (25)
1977-07-01 … Muscatine, IA — Plaza Twin (5)
1977-07-01 … Myrtle Beach, SC — Dunes Triplex (32)
1977-07-01 … New Castle, PA — Hi-Lander (5)
1977-07-01 … North Charleston, SC — Charlestown Square Mall Twin (25)
1977-07-01 … Panama City, FL — Panama City 4-Plex (25)
1977-07-01 … Port Arthur, TX — Village Triplex (7)
1977-07-01 … Raleigh, NC — Valley Twin (24)
1977-07-01 … Rapid City, SD — Rapid (21)
1977-07-01 … Roanoke Rapids, NC — Cinema (4)
1977-07-01 … Rocky Mount, NC — Englewood Square Twin (6)
1977-07-01 … Rome, GA — DeSoto (5)
1977-07-01 … Saint Joseph, MO — Trail (15)
1977-07-01 … Salina, KS — Fox (15)
1977-07-01 … Salisbury, NC — Terrace (4)
1977-07-01 … San Angelo, TX — Sherwood Twin (9)
1977-07-01 … San Antonio, TX — Century South 6-Plex (48) [Dolby]
1977-07-01 … San Antonio, TX — Wonder Twin (25)
1977-07-01 … Santa Fe, NM — Lensic (19)
1977-07-01 … Sharon, PA — Columbia (2)
1977-07-01 … South Lake Tahoe, CA — Tahoe (19)
1977-07-01 … Springfield, MO — Tower (25)
1977-07-01 … Statesville, NC — Newtowne (5)
1977-07-01 … Sugar Land, TX — Palms (17)
1977-07-01 … Topeka, KS — Topeka Boulevard Twin (20)
1977-07-01 … Toronto, ON — Northwest Drive-In (4)
1977-07-01 … Union Gap, WA — Mercy Twin (25)
1977-07-01 … Wichita, KS — Mall (37) [Dolby]
1977-07-01 … Wilmington, NC — Oleander Twin (25)

1977-07-06 … Ann Arbor, MI — The Movies at Briarwood 4-Plex (#2: 13)
1977-07-06 … Ashland, KY — Midtown Twin (7)
1977-07-06 … Bakersfield, CA — Stockdale 6-Plex (#1: 32)
1977-07-06 … Bakersfield, CA — Stockdale 6-Plex (#2: 13)
1977-07-06 … Benton Harbor, MI — Fairplain Twin (17)
1977-07-06 … Carlsbad, CA — Plaza Camino Real 5-Plex (48)
1977-07-06 … Cerritos, CA — Cerritos Mall Twin (24)
1977-07-06 … Costa Mesa, CA — United Artists Triplex (24)
1977-07-06 … El Monte, CA — El Monte Drive-In (23) [Cine-Fi]
1977-07-06 … Fountain Valley, CA — Fountan Valley Drive-In (24) [Cine-Fi]
1977-07-06 … Gardena, CA — Vermont Twin Drive-In (23) [Cine-Fi ]
1977-07-06 … Jefferson City, MO — Ramada 4-Plex (7)
1977-07-06 … Lawrence, KS — Varsity (14)
1977-07-06 … Leavenworth, KS — Landing 4-Plex (6)
1977-07-06 … Los Angeles (Century City), CA — Century Plaza Twin (61**) [70mm-Dolby]
1977-07-06 … Los Angeles (Sherman Oaks), CA — Sherman Oaks Twin (24)
1977-07-06 … Murray, KY — Cheri Triplex (5)
1977-07-06 … New York (Manhattan), NY — Murray Hill (24) [Dolby]
1977-07-06 … Newport Beach, CA — Newport Twin (54) [70mm-Dolby]
1977-07-06 … Orange, CT — Showcase 5-Plex (24)
1977-07-06 … Pasadena, CA — Academy (23)
1977-07-06 … Plymouth, MA — Cinema Twin (10)
1977-07-06 … Redondo Beach, CA — South Bay 4-Plex (24)
1977-07-06 … Riverside, CA — Tyler Mall 4-Plex (24)
1977-07-06 … Sandusky, OH — Sandusky Mall Triplex (24)
1977-07-06 … Santa Barbara, CA — Arlington (10) [Dolby]
1977-07-06 … Santa Maria, CA — Movies Triplex (37)
1977-07-06 … West Covina, CA — Wescove Triplex (24) [Dolby]
1977-07-06 … Winchester, VA — Ward Plaza (4)

07.07.1977 … Carroll, IA — Carroll Twin (5)
07.07.1977 … Clinton, IA — Capri (5)
07.07.1977 … Fort Dodge, IA — Cinema Twin (5)
07.07.1977 … Ottumwa, IA — Capri (4)
07.07.1977 … Sikeston, MO — Malco Twin (5)

1977-07-08 … Anderson, SC — Market Place Triplex (22)
1977-07-08 … Arcadia, FL — Mall Twin (2)
1977-07-08 … Auburn, AL — Village (5)
1977-07-08 … Barrie, ON — Barrie Twin Drive-In (4)
1977-07-08 … Barrie, ON — Imperial Twin (6)
1977-07-08 … Bartlesville, OK — Penn (5)
1977-07-08 … Baytown, TX — Brunson (16)
1977-07-08 … Brantford, ON — Breezes Drive-In (2)
1977-07-08 … Brantford, ON — Odeon (4)
1977-07-08 … Camp Hill, PA — Camp Hill Twin (24)
1977-07-08 … Decatur, AL — Gateway Twin (8)
1977-07-08 … Denton, TX — Campus (14)
1977-07-08 … Greenville, NC — Plaza Twin (6)
1977-07-08 … High Point, NC — Martin Twin (8)
1977-07-08 … Jacksonville, NC — Cardinal Twin (19)
1977-07-08 … Joliet, IL — Jefferson Square Triplex (18)
1977-07-08 … Kingston, ON — Hyland (10)
1977-07-08 … Kingston, ON — Kingston Drive-In (2)
1977-07-08 … Lenoir, NC — West Gate Twin (4)
1977-07-08 … Lumberton, NC — Cinema Triplex (4)
1977-07-08 … Muskegon, MI — Plaza Twin (19)
1977-07-08 … Nantucket, MA — Dreamland
1977-07-08 … Olympia, WA — State (24)
1977-07-08 … Orangeburg, SC — Camelot Twin (5)
1977-07-08 … Sault Sainte Marie, MI — Soo Twin (4)
1977-07-08 … Shawnee, OK — Ritz (6)
1977-07-08 … Tallahassee, FL — Capitol 4-Plex (#1: 61)
1977-07-08 … Tallahassee, FL — Capitol 4-Plex (#2: 3)
1977-07-08 … Tyler, TX — Tyler (14)
1977-07-08 … Victoria, TX — Playhouse 4-Plex (37)
1977-07-08 … Watertown, NY — Stateway Plaza Twin (17)
1977-07-08 … Wilson, NC — Parkwood Twin (6)

1977-07-10 … Bar Harbor, ME — Criterion (1)

1977-07-13 … Alma, MI — Strand (3)
1977-07-13 … Augusta, ME — Turnpike Mall Twin (16)
1977-07-13 … Bedford, NH — Bedford Mall Triplex (23)
1977-07-13 … Brewer, ME — Cinema Center Triplex (23)
1977-07-13 … Brunswick, ME — Brunswick Twin (22)
1977-07-13 … Carpentersville, IL — Meadowdale 4-Plex (16)
1977-07-13 … Cascade, MI — Cascade 3-Screen Drive-In (6)
1977-07-13 … Coldwater, MI — Main (5)
1977-07-13 … Crystal Lake, IL — Showplace Triplex (22)
1977-07-13 … Defiance, OH — Valentine (6)
1977-07-13 … Fall River, MA — Center Twin (12+)
1977-07-13 … Farmington, CT — The Movies at Westfarms Triplex (23)
1977-07-13 … Hamilton, OH — Court (3)
1977-07-13 … Havre, MT — Havre (3)
1977-07-13 … Indiana, PA — Regency Mall (14)
1977-07-13 … Manchester, CT — East Triplex (22)
1977-07-13 … Middletown, RI — Starcase Triplex (23)
1977-07-13 … Nashua, NH — Nashua Mall Twin (23)
1977-07-13 … Newington, CT — Newington Triplex (23)
1977-07-13 … Oneonta, NY — Oneonta (6)
1977-07-13 … Saint George, UT — Movie Twin (4)
1977-07-13 … Seekonk, MA — Showcase 5-Plex (36)
1977-07-13 … South Burlington, VT — Burlington Plaza Twin
1977-07-13 … South Portland, ME — Maine Mall Triplex (23)
1977-07-13 … Torrington, CT — Parkade
1977-07-13 … Waterbury, CT — Naugatuck Valley Mall 4-Plex (23)
1977-07-13 … Waterville, ME — Cinema Center 5-Plex (19)
1977-07-13 … Westport, MA — Westport Drive-In (4)
1977-07-13 … Wildwood, NJ — Shore Twin

1977-07-14 … Lake City, IA — Capri (2)

1977-07-15 … Amherst, NY — Boulevard Mall Triplex (23)
1977-07-15 … Athens, GA — Palace Twin (16)
1977-07-15 … Athens, OH — Varsity (6)
1977-07-15 … Avon Park, FL — Hilans (3)
1977-07-15 … Bartow, FL — Cinema 1 (2)
1977-07-15 … Battle Creek, MI — Bijou (5)
1977-07-15 … Blaine, MN — Northtown Triplex (35)
1977-07-15 … Bloomington, MN — France Ave. 3-Screen Drive-In (#1: 13)
1977-07-15 … Bloomington, MN — France Ave. 3-Screen Drive-In (#2: 5)
1977-07-15 … Braintree, MA — Braintree Triplex (23)
1977-07-15 … Brampton, ON — Shoppers (23)
1977-07-15 … Brandon, FL — Brandon Twin (4)
1977-07-15 … Bridgeport, CT — Merritt (23)
1977-07-15 … Brookline, MA — Circle Triplex (#1: 22)
1977-07-15 … Brookline, MA — Circle Triplex (#2: 12)
1977-07-15 … Burlington, WI — Plaza (2)
1977-07-15 … Cambridge, OH — State (2)
1977-07-15 … Carbondale, IL — East Gate (14)
1977-07-15 … Celina, OH — Celina (3)
1977-07-15 … Centralia, IL — BAC (5)
1977-07-15 … Charleston, IL — Will Rogers (5)
1977-07-15 … Chautauqua, NY — Chautauqua Plaza Twin
1977-07-15 … Cheektowaga, NY — Holiday 6-Plex (35)
1977-07-15 … Chester, SC — Peoples Plaza Twin (3)
1977-07-15 … Chillicothe, OH — Fiesta Drive-In
1977-07-15 … Columbus, MS — Mall (14)
1977-07-15 … Copperas Cove, TX — Big (4)
1977-07-15 … Danvers, MA — Cinema City 4-Plex (22)
1977-07-15 … Dover, DE — Capitol (17)
1977-07-15 … Easley, SC — Easley Mall Twin (4)
1977-07-15 … Edina, MN — Southdale 4-Plex (23)
1977-07-15 … Enid, OK — Video Twin (12)
1977-07-15 … Framngham, MA — Shoppers World 5-Plex (23)
1977-07-15 … Frankfort, KY — Capitol (2)
1977-07-15 … Fredericksburg, VA — Virginians Twin (13)
1977-07-15 … Gallup, NM — Aztec Twin (3)
1977-07-15 … Galveston, TX — Galvez Plaza Triplex (14)
1977-07-15 … Greenwood, SC — Apollo Twin
1977-07-15 … Haines City, FL — Lake Haines Drive-In (2)
1977-07-15 … Halifax, NS — Casino (19)
1977-07-15 … Hickory, NC — Crown 4-Plex (30)
1977-07-15 … Holland, MI — Holland
1977-07-15 … Homestead, FL — Homestead (2)
1977-07-15 … International Falls, MN — Twin (4)
1977-07-15 … Janesville, WI — Janesville Mall Triplex (19)
1977-07-15 … Keene, NH — Riverside Plaza Twin (6)
1977-07-15 … Kenosha, WI — Roosevelt (15)
1977-07-15 … Killeen, TX — Northside Village Twin (19)
1977-07-15 … Kitchener, ON — Hyland (15)
1977-07-15 … Kitchener, ON — Parkway Drive-In (6)
1977-07-15 … Knoxville, TN — Cedar Bluff Twin (22)
1977-07-15 … La Marque, TX — Bayou Drive-In (4)
1977-07-15 … Lake Charles, LA — Lyric (19)
1977-07-15 … Lake Geneva, WI — Geneva Twin (9)
1977-07-15 … Leesburg, FL — Vista
1977-07-15 … Leominster, MA — Leominster 5-Plex (23)
1977-07-15 … Lewiston, ME — Lewiston Twin (23)
1977-07-15 … Macon, GA — Macon Mall 4-Plex (23)
1977-07-15 … Maplewood, MN — The Movies at Maplewood 6-Plex (30)
1977-07-15 … Marietta, OH — Colony
1977-07-15 … Marquette, MI — Marquette Mall (14)
1977-07-15 … Michigan City, IN — Dunes Plaza 4-Plex (22)
1977-07-15 … Minneapolis, MN — Mann (17)
1977-07-15 … Monroe, MI — Denniston Twin (16)
1977-07-15 … Morehead City, NC — Morehead (7)
1977-07-15 … Mount Pleasant, MI — Cinema Twin
1977-07-15 … Mount Sterling, KY — Studio Stage
1977-07-15 … Murfreesboro, TN — Cinema One (6)
1977-07-15 … New Bern, NC — Tryon
1977-07-15 … New Port Richey, FL — Southgate Twin (7)
1977-07-15 … Niagara Falls, NY — Summit Park Mall Twin
1977-07-15 … North Dartmouth, MA — North Dartmouth Mall 4-Plex (23)
1977-07-15 … Ocala, FL — Springs Twin (15)
1977-07-15 … Ocean City, MD — Surf Twin (18)
1977-07-15 … Oshawa, ON — Odeon (9)
1977-07-15 … Owosso, MI — Capitol (5)
1977-07-15 … Palatka, FL — Plaza (4)
1977-07-15 … Pittsfield, MA — Capitol (22)
1977-07-15 … Plant City, FL — Mall Twin (4)
1977-07-15 … Punta Gorda, FL — Harbor (2)
1977-07-15 … Roanoke, VA — Towers Twin (14)
1977-07-15 … Rock Hill, SC — Woolco Mini (4)
1977-07-15 … Salisbury, MD — Mall Twin (18)
1977-07-15 … Saint Augustine, FL — Plaza Twin
1977-07-15 … Sanford, FL — Plaza Twin
1977-07-15 … Sarnia, ON — Mustang Drive-In (2)
1977-07-15 … Sarnia, ON — Odeon Twin (6)
1977-07-15 … Savannah, GA — Cinema Centre Triplex (23)
1977-07-15 … Shelby, NC — Rogers
1977-07-15 … Sherman, TX — Sher-Den Mall Twin (14)
1977-07-15 … Somersworth, NH — Tri-City Twin (23)
1977-07-15 … Statesboro, GA — Statesboro Twin (11)
1977-07-15 … Terre Haute, IN — Honey Creek Square Twin (16)
1977-07-15 … Texas City, TX — Tradewinds Twin (3)
1977-07-15 … Traverse City, MI — Plaza Twin (20)
1977-07-15 … Venice, FL — Venice Twin (3)
1977-07-15 … Wadsworth, OH — Great Oaks Twin
1977-07-15 … West Saint Paul, MN — Cina 4-Plex (30) [Dolby from Week #20]
1977-07-15 … West Vancouver, BC — West Van Odeon Twin (17)
1977-07-15 … Westerly, RI — Westerly Twin
1977-07-15 … Westport, CT — Fine Arts Triplex (16)
1977-07-15 … Winnipeg, MB — Northmain Drive-In (5)
1977-07-15 … Winter Haven, FL — Ritz (4)
1977-07-15 … Woburn, MA — Showcase 5-Plex (22)

1977-07-17 … McMinnville, TN — Park (3)

1977-07-20 … Auburn, NY — Auburn (6)
1977-07-20 … Beaver Dam, WI — Wisconsin (?)
1977-07-20 … Bethlehem, PA — Boyd (17) [Dolby]
1977-07-20 … Bloomfield Hills, MI — Showcase 5-Plex (22)
1977-07-20 … Bradford, PA — Bradford Twin (4)
1977-07-20 … Concord, NH — Cinema 93
1977-07-20 … Cortland, NY — Plaza Twin
1977-07-20 … Dearborn, MI — The Movies at Fairlane 5-Plex (22)
1977-07-20 … Durango, CO — Gaslight Twin (13)
1977-07-20 … Easton, PA — Easton Twin (21)
1977-07-20 … El Centro, CA — Fox (3)
1977-07-20 … Gilford, NH — Twin
1977-07-20 … Grants Pass, OR — ?
1977-07-20 … Harper Woods, MI — Beacon East Twin (17)
1977-07-20 … Hudson, NY — Hudson Studio (11)
1977-07-20 … Johnstown, NY — Holiday (5)
1977-07-20 … Lake Placid, NY — Palace (12)
1977-07-20 … Livonia, MI — Terrace Twin (22)
1977-07-20 … Mystic, CT — Village Twin (29)
1977-07-20 … North Platte, NE — Mann Triplex
1977-07-20 … Norwich, CT — Norwich Twin (18)
1977-07-20 … Ocean City, NJ — Village
1977-07-20 … Olean, NY — Palace (4)
1977-07-20 … Palm Springs, CA — Camelot Twin (22) [Dolby]
1977-07-20 … Pittsburgh, PA — Bank Twin (#1: 59)
1977-07-20 … Pittsburgh, PA — Bank Twin (#2: 22)
1977-07-20 … Ponca City, OK — Ponca Plaza Twin (6)
1977-07-20 … Ripon, WI — Campus (2)
1977-07-20 … Rochester Hills, MI — Hampton Triplex (21)
1977-07-20 … Rome, NY — Rome Twin (8)
1977-07-20 … Saranac Lake, NY — Pontiac (8)
1977-07-20 … Saratoga Springs, NY — Pyramid Mall Triplex (22)
1977-07-20 … Scottsbluff, NE — Bluffs (4)
1977-07-20 … Southgate, MI — Southgate Triplex (22)
1977-07-20 … Sterling Heights, MI — The Movies at Lakeside 4-Plex (22)
1977-07-20 … Sterling Heights, MI — Showcase 5-Plex (22)
1977-07-20 … Tomah, WI — Erwin (2)
1977-07-20 … Uncasville, CT — Norwich-New London Twin Drive-In (4)
1977-07-20 … Vero Beach, FL — Plaza (4)
1977-07-20 … Wakefield, RI — Campus (11)
1977-07-20 … Watertown, SD — Plaza Twin (3)
1977-07-20 … West Bend, WI — West Bend (5)

1977-07-21 … Jasper, IN — Astra (2)

1977-07-22 … Aurora, IL — West Plaza Triplex (13)
1977-07-22 … Bluefield, WV — Blue Prince
1977-07-22 … Brainerd, MN — Brainerd Twin (8)
1977-07-22 … Brookings, SD — Unique
1977-07-22 … Brooksville, FL — Brooksville Twin (2)
1977-07-22 … Bryan, TX — Manor East Triplex (24) [Dolby]
1977-07-22 … Burlington, NC — Park (5)
1977-07-22 … Carrollton, GA — Village
1977-07-22 … Chicago, IL — Ford City Triplex (22)
1977-07-22 … Chicago, IL — Nortown (21)
1977-07-22 … Circleville, OH — Starlight Drive-In (2)
1977-07-22 … Clanton, AL — Mart Twin
1977-07-22 … Columbia, TN — Polk (3)
1977-07-22 … Corpus Christi, TX — National Twin (16)
1977-07-22 … Dallas, TX — Northpark East Twin (12)
1977-07-22 … Danville, KY — Cinemas Twin
1977-07-22 … DeLand, FL — Woodland Plaza (2)
1977-07-22 … Denison, TX — Rialto
1977-07-22 … Dothan, AL — Cinema 4-Plex (15)
1977-07-22 … Douglasville, GA — Douglasville Twin (13)
1977-07-22 … Enterprise, AL — College
1977-07-22 … Fargo, ND — Fargo (18)
1977-07-22 … Fort Pierce, FL — Village Twin (4)
1977-07-22 … Goldsboro, NC — Center (5)
1977-07-22 … Greer, SC — Greer Drive-In (4)
1977-07-22 … Hillsboro, OH — Colony (3)
1977-07-22 … Houston, TX — Greenspoint 5-Plex (18)
1977-07-22 … Houston, TX — Gulfgate Twin (17)
1977-07-22 … Houston, TX — Meyerland Twin (22)
1977-07-22 … Houston, TX — Northline Twin (17)
1977-07-22 … Indianapolis, IN — Lafayette Square 4-Plex (22)
1977-07-22 … Indianapolis, IN — Regency Twin (22) [Dolby]
1977-07-22 … Lake Jackson, TX — Lake Twin (5)
1977-07-22 … Lawrenceville, GA — Lawrenceville Twin (13)
1977-07-22 … Littleton, NH — Jax Jr. (2)
1977-07-22 … Marysville, OH — Marysville (3)
1977-07-22 … Merrillville, IN — Y&W Drive-In (5)
1977-07-22 … Midland, TX — Cinema 1 (12)
1977-07-22 … Mount Prospect, IL — Mount Prospect Twin (22)
1977-07-22 … Naperville, IL — Ogden 6-Plex (#1: 22)
1977-07-22 … Naperville, IL — Ogden 6-Plex (#2: 13)
1977-07-22 … Naples, FL — Gulfgate (4)
1977-07-22 … Northfield, NJ — Tilton Twin (25)
1977-07-22 … Oakville, ON — Plaza (5)
1977-07-22 … Odessa, TX — Winwood Twin
1977-07-22 … Oneida, NY — Oneida
1977-07-22 … Ottawa, ON — Aladdin Drive-In (2)
1977-07-22 … Ottawa, ON — Auto-Sky Drive-In (8)
1977-07-22 … Ottawa, ON — Somerset (22)
1977-07-22 … Owatonna, MN — Cameo Twin (2)
1977-07-22 … Page Manor, OH — Page Manor
1977-07-22 … Pascagoula, MS — Twin
1977-07-22 … Piqua, OH — Piqua Twin (3)
1977-07-22 … Port Townsend, WA — Uptown (2)
1977-07-22 … Saint Cloud, MN — Paramount
1977-07-22 … Saskatoon, SK — Skyway Drive-In (3)
1977-07-22 … Saskatoon, SK — Towne (15)
1977-07-22 … Scottsbluff, NE — Bluffs (4)
1977-07-22 … Starkville, MS — Cinema 12 Twin (10)
1977-07-22 … Stroudsburg, PA — Sherman Twin (19)
1977-07-22 … Temple, TX — Arcadia (4)
1977-07-22 … Thomasville, GA — Rise (2)
1977-07-22 … Toronto, ON — Elane (22)
1977-07-22 … Trotwood, OH — Salem Mall 4-Plex (52)
1977-07-22 … Troy, OH — Mayflower (3)
1977-07-22 … Urbana, OH — Urbana Twin
1977-07-22 … Vidalia, GA — Cinema (3)
1977-07-22 … Vincennes, IN — Plaza
1977-07-22 … Waco, TX — 25th Street (14)
1977-07-22 … Wheeling, IL — Twin Drive-In (12)
1977-07-22 … Worthington, MN — State (3)
1977-07-22 … Xenia, OH — Xenia (3)

1977-07-27 … Bensalem, PA — Woodhaven Mall 4-Plex (51)
1977-07-27 … Campbellsville, KY — Cozy (2)
1977-07-27 … Champlain, NY — Northway Drive-In (2)
1977-07-27 … Chestnut Hill, PA — Chestnut Hill Twin (46)
1977-07-27 … Coeur d’Alene, ID — Wilma
1977-07-27 … Deerfield, MA — Deerfield Drive-In (2)
1977-07-27 … Dunkirk, NY — Cine (12)
1977-07-27 … East Liverpool, OH — American (4)
1977-07-27 … Eldersburg, MD — Carrolltowne Twin (5)
1977-07-27 … Frazer, PA — Frazer Twin (45)
1977-07-27 … Glenolden, PA — MacDade Drive-In (24)
1977-07-27 … Gloucester City, NJ — Starlite Drive-In (7)
1977-07-27 … Greenfield, MA — Showplace (5)
1977-07-27 … Hazleton, PA — Church Hill Twin (12)
1977-07-27 … Iola, KS — Iola Twin (4)
1977-07-27 … King of Prussia, PA — Valley Forge Twin (17)
1977-07-27 … Lewiston, ID — Liberty
1977-07-27 … Livermore, CA — Vine Twin (21)
1977-07-27 … Marysville, MI — Playhouse Twin (14)
1977-07-27 … Mashpee, MA — Seabury Twin
1977-07-27 … Menomonie, WI — State
1977-07-27 … Moberly, MO — Cinema
1977-07-27 … Montgomeryville, PA — 309 Drive-In (28)
1977-07-27 … Moscow, ID — Kenworthy
1977-07-27 … Newark, DE — Chestnut Hill Twin (45)
1977-07-27 … North Falmouth, MA — Big Nickelodeon (2)
1977-07-27 … Philadelphia, PA — Lincoln Drive-In (4)
1977-07-27 … Philadelphia, PA — Ivy Ridge Twin (20)
1977-07-27 … Plattsburgh, NY — Skyway Studio (21)
1977-07-27 … Pottsville, PA — Fox
1977-07-27 … Richland, WA — Uptown (13)
1977-07-27 … Roseburg, OR — Starlite Twin
1977-07-27 … Sioux City, IA — Riviera Twin (21)
1977-07-27 … Stratford, NJ — Stratford Twin (45)
1977-07-27 … Sunbury, PA — Strand (5)
1977-07-27 … Upper Darby, PA — Barclay Square Twin (45)
1977-07-27 … Visalia, CA — Fox Triplex (21)
1977-07-27 … Williamsport, PA — The Movies at Loyal Plaza Triplex (13)
1977-07-27 … Yuma, AZ — Plaza (17)

1977-07-28 … Algona, IA — Algona
1977-07-28 … Beatrice, NE — Cinema Twin (4)
1977-07-28 … Charles City, IA — Charles (2)
1977-07-28 … Cherokee, IA — American (3)
1977-07-28 … Estherville, IA — Grand Twin (3)
1977-07-28 … Fairfield, IA — Co-Ed (2)
1977-07-28 … Grinnell, IA — Cinema
1977-07-28 … Kearney, NE — World (4)
1977-07-28 … Kelowna, BC — Uptown (12)
1977-07-28 … Le Mars, IA — Twin (4)
1977-07-28 … Nebraska City, NE — Pioneer (3)
1977-07-28 … Penticton, BC — Pen Mar Cinema Centre Twin (6)

1977-07-29 … Anniston, AL — Calhoun (11)
1977-07-29 … Bellefontaine, OH — Holland Triplex (2)
1977-07-29 … Birmingham, AL — Five Points West Twin (21)
1977-07-29 … Birmingham, AL — Village East Twin (#1: 21)
1977-07-29 … Birmingham, AL — Village East Twin (#2: 14)
1977-07-29 … Bogalusa, LA — Trackside
1977-07-29 … Brockville, ON — Brockville Drive-In (1)
1977-07-29 … Brockville, ON — Parkdale Twin (3)
1977-07-29 … Brookhaven, MS — Westbrook Twin
1977-07-29 … Brownsville, TX — Northpark Plaza Twin (10)
1977-07-29 … Brunswick, GA — Lanier Twin (9)
1977-07-29 … Chatham, MA — Chatham
1977-07-29 … Chicago, IL — United Artists (21)
1977-07-29 … Danville, IL — Fischer (13)
1977-07-29 … Devils Lake, ND — Lake
1977-07-29 … Elizabeth City, NC — Gateway Twin
1977-07-29 … Escanaba, MI — Delft (4)
1977-07-29 … Fairmont, MN — Nicholas
1977-07-29 … Fort Smith, AR — Mall Triplex (19)
1977-07-29 … Frankfort, KY — Franklin Square Twin (4)
1977-07-29 … Gadsden, AL — Gadsden Twin (9)
1977-07-29 … Gardner, MA — Gardner (5)
1977-07-29 … Gastonia, NC — Eastridge Twin (16)
1977-07-29 … Geneva, NY — Cinema Geneva (10)
1977-07-29 … Greenville, OH — State
1977-07-29 … Griffin, GA — Parkwood
1977-07-29 … Gulfport, MS — Hardy Court Twin (7)
1977-07-29 … Harlingen, TX — Morgan Plaza Triplex (10)
1977-07-29 … Harrisburg, IL — Cinema Twin (4)
1977-07-29 … Harwich, MA — Harwichport
1977-07-29 … Hattiesburg, MS — Cinema Twin (9)
1977-07-29 … Hermitage, PA — Cinema World
1977-07-29 … Jackson, MS — DeVille (16)
1977-07-29 … Jacksonville, IL — Illinois (3)
1977-07-29 … Jamestown, ND — Jamestown Mall Twin
1977-07-29 … Key West, FL — Cinema Twin
1977-07-29 … Kinston, NC — Vernon Park Mall (4)
1977-07-29 … Lafayette, LA — Plaza (14)
1977-07-29 … Laurel, MS — Northside Twin (4)
1977-07-29 … Madison, SD — State (2)
1977-07-29 … Mankato, MN — Cine Twin
1977-07-29 … Marion, IL — Town & Country 4-Plex (13)
1977-07-29 … Marion, OH — Southland Mall Twin
1977-07-29 … Marshall, MN — Marshall Twin (3)
1977-07-29 … McAllen, TX — Cinema Twin (10)
1977-07-29 … Meadville, PA — Academy (12)
1977-07-29 … Morganton, NC — Mimosa (2)
1977-07-29 … Mount Vernon, IL — Times Square (8)
1977-07-29 … Nacogdoches, TX — Northview Plaza Twin
1977-07-29 … Nags Head, NC — Colony House
1977-07-29 … Natchez, MS — Tracetown Twin (4)
1977-07-29 … Oak Ridge, TN — Ridge (13)
1977-07-29 … Omaha, NE — Indian Hills (20) [Dolby]
1977-07-29 … Omaha, NE — Q Cinema 4-Plex (20)
1977-07-29 … Orleans, MA — Orleans Twin
1977-07-29 … Oskaloosa, IA — Rivola (3)
1977-07-29 … Owensboro, KY — Lincoln Mall Twin (11)
1977-07-29 … Peterborough, ON — Odeon (6)
1977-07-29 … Poplar Bluff, MO — Mansion Mall Twin
1977-07-29 … Regina, SK — Roxy (14)
1977-07-29 … Ruston, LA — Cinema Twin (3)
1977-07-29 … Rutland, VT — Studio Twin
1977-07-29 … Salisbury, NC — Thunderbird Drive-In (1)
1977-07-29 … Sanford, NC — Kendale Twin
1977-07-29 … Scranton, PA — Viewmont Mall Triplex (15)
1977-07-29 … Selma, AL — Cahaba Twin (3)
1977-07-29 … Talladega, AL — Martin Triplex
1977-07-29 … Tuscaloosa, AL — Tide Twin (12)
1977-07-29 … Vicksburg, MS — Battlefield Twin
1977-07-29 … Vineland, NJ — Cumberland Mall Twin
1977-07-29 … Waycross, GA — Cinema Twin (5)
1977-07-29 … Wilkes-Barre, PA — Wyoming Valley Mall Twin (21)
1977-07-29 … Wilmington, OH — Murphy (4)
1977-07-29 … Woodbridge, ON — 7 & 27 Drive-In (4)

1977-08-03 … Anchorage, AK — Polar Twin (20)
1977-08-03 … Babylon, NY — RKO Twin (20)
1977-08-03 … Batavia, NY — Cinema Twin
1977-08-03 … Bennington, VT — New Harte (6)
1977-08-03 … Bloomsburg, PA — Capitol
1977-08-03 … Bricktown, NJ — Mall Twin (20)
1977-08-03 … Brockport, NY — Strand (13)
1977-08-03 … Canandaigua, NY — Parkway Drive-In (5)
1977-08-03 … Catskill, NY — Community Twin
1977-08-03 … Cheyenne, WY — Paramount (9)
1977-08-03 … Clearfield, PA — Ritz Twin (6)
1977-08-03 … Colby, KS — Colby
1977-08-03 … Commack, NY — RKO Twin (20)
1977-08-03 … Danbury, CT — Cinema Twin (19)
1977-08-03 … Darien, CT — Darien Playhouse (13)
1977-08-03 … East Setauket, NY — Fox (20)
1977-08-03 … Fergus Falls, MN — Fergus (2)
1977-08-03 … Greenwich, CT — Greenwich (20)
1977-08-03 … Hackettstown, NJ — Mall (19)
1977-08-03 … Hampton Beach, NH — Casino
1977-08-03 … Hanover, MA — Hanover Mall 4-Plex (20)
1977-08-03 … Hanover, NJ — Morris County Mall Twin (19)
1977-08-03 … Hays, KS — Mall Twin (8)
1977-08-03 … Hunter, NY — Mountain Drive-In
1977-08-03 … Hyde Park, NY — Roosevelt (19)
1977-08-03 … Independence, KS — Booth (2)
1977-08-03 … Jersey City, NJ — Hudson Mall Twin (20)
1977-08-03 … Kenton, OH — Hi-Road Drive-In
1977-08-03 … Lapeer, MI — Pix (2)
1977-08-03 … Lawrence, NY — RKO Twin (29) [70mm-Dolby from Week #21]
1977-08-03 … Leesburg, VA — Tally-Ho
1977-08-03 … Lexington, VA — State (3)
1977-08-03 … Lockport, NY — Transit Drive-In
1977-08-03 … Los Angeles (Hollywood), CA — Chinese (47) [70mm-Dolby]
1977-08-03 … Merrick, NY — Merrick Mall (20)
1977-08-03 … Milford, MA — Cinema Twin (20)
1977-08-03 … Minden, LA — West Plaza Twin
1977-08-03 … Montclair, NJ — Clairidge (20)
1977-08-03 … Monticello, NY — Mall Twin (20)
1977-08-03 … New City, NY — Town (20)
1977-08-03 … New Rochelle, NY — RKO Proctors 4-Plex (20)
1977-08-03 … New York (Bronx), NY — RKO Fordham Triplex (38)
1977-08-03 … New York (Brooklyn), NY — Avalon (20)
1977-08-03 … New York (Brooklyn), NY — Oriental Twin (20)
1977-08-03 … New York (Brooklyn), NY — Seaview (12)
1977-08-03 … New York (Queens), NY — Continental (20)
1977-08-03 … New York (Queens), NY — RKO Keiths Triplex (38)
1977-08-03 … New York (Staten Island), NY — Fox Plaza Twin (20)
1977-08-03 … North Conway, NH — North Conway (4)
1977-08-03 … Ocean, NJ — Seaview Square Twin (19)
1977-08-03 … Ogdensburg, NY — Ogdensburg Mall Twin (4)
1977-08-03 … Oswego, NY — Oswego
1977-08-03 … Peekskill, NY — Westchester Mall Triplex (20)
1977-08-03 … Potsdam, NY — Roxy (6)
1977-08-03 … Raritan, NJ — Somerville Circle Twin (20)
1977-08-03 … Rehoboth Beach, DE — Midway Palace Twin
1977-08-03 … Rhinelander, WI — State
1977-08-03 … Rutherford, NJ — Route 3 Drive-In (20)
1977-08-03 … Sanford, ME — Sanford Twin (5)
1977-08-03 … Scituate, MA — Playhouse Twin (20)
1977-08-03 … Secaucus, NJ — Harmon Cove 4-Plex (12)
1977-08-03 … Spirit Lake, IA — Royal (3)
1977-08-03 … Tiffin, OH — Ritz
1977-08-03 … Totowa, NJ — Totowa Twin (20)
1977-08-03 … Union, NJ — Fox (20)
1977-08-03 … Walla Walla, WA — Liberty (3)
1977-08-03 … Warren, PA — Library (6)
1977-08-03 … Westbury, NY — Westbury Drive-In (15)
1977-08-03 … Yonkers, NY — Central Plaza Twin (20)

1977-08-04 … Brigham City, UT — Capitol (3)
1977-08-04 … Decorah, IA — Viking (3)
1977-08-04 … Detroit Lakes, MN — Cinema
1977-08-04 … Hawarden, IA — Sioux-Wigwam Drive-In (2)
1977-08-04 … Ida Grove, IA — King (2)
1977-08-04 … Iowa City, IA — Mall Twin (16)
1977-08-04 … Kahului, HI — Village (8)
1977-08-04 … Maquoketa, IA — Voy Twin
1977-08-04 … Paducah, KY — Columbia Twin (12)

1977-08-05 … Ada, OK — Gemini Twin (6)
1977-08-05 … Astoria, OR — Liberty
1977-08-05 … Beaufort, SC — Plaza Twin (2)
1977-08-05 … Belleville, IL — Cinema (9) [Dolby]
1977-08-05 … Belleville, ON — Park (4)
1977-08-05 … Blacksburg, VA — Studio One
1977-08-05 … Bloomfield, ON — Mustang Drive-In (1)
1977-08-05 … Bowling Green, KY — Martin Twin (11)
1977-08-05 … Caney, KS — Fox
1977-08-05 … Clarksville, TN — Martin Twin
1977-08-05 … Conyers, GA — Salem Gate Twin
1977-08-05 … Cookeville, TN — ?
1977-08-05 … Crawfordsville, IN — Strand
1977-08-05 … De Kalb, IL — Campus Triplex (20)
1977-08-05 … Des Peres, MO — Des Peres 4-Plex (19)
1977-08-05 … Florissant, MO — Jamestown Mall Twin (15)
1977-08-05 … Freeport, IL — State (3)
1977-08-05 … Fremont, OH — Cinema
1977-08-05 … Gretna, LA — Oakwood Triplex (15)
1977-08-05 … Huron, SD — State Twin (3)
1977-08-05 … Kansas City, MO — Antioch (20)
1977-08-05 … Lexington, NC — Lexington Drive-In (2)
1977-08-05 … Mitchell, SD — State (3)
1977-08-05 … Monroe, WI — Sky-Vu Drive-In (3)
1977-08-05 … Mount Airy, NC — Bright Leaf Drive-In (2)
1977-08-05 … Muscle Shoals, AL — Cinema Twin (9)
1977-08-05 … Muskogee, OK — Twin Cine (12)
1977-08-05 … New Castle, IN — Castle
1977-08-05 … Opelousas, LA — Vista Village Twin (4)
1977-08-05 … Plymouth, IN — Rees (2)
1977-08-05 … Radford, VA — Plaza
1977-08-05 … Regina, SK — Cinema 6 Drive-In (2)
1977-08-05 … Seaside, OR — Times
1977-08-05 … Shelbyville, TN — Capri
1977-08-05 … Sunset Hills, MO — Mark Twain (19)
1977-08-05 … Tequesta, FL — Lighthouse (43)
1977-08-05 … Trenton, ON — Quinte Drive-In (2)
1977-08-05 … Tucson, AZ — El Dorado Twin (39)
1977-08-05 … Warr Acres, OK — West Park Twin (27)
1977-08-05 … Waynesville, NC — Waynesville Drive-In (3)
1977-08-05 … Winchester, VA — Camelot Twin (1)
1977-08-05 … Winfield, KS — Fox (2)
1977-08-05 … Winona, MN — State (5)

1977-08-07 … Andalusia, AL — Martin (2)
1977-08-07 … Greenville, AL — Camellia Drive-In (2)
1977-08-07 … Winchester, TN — Oldham

1977-08-10 … Angola, IN — Strand (3)
1977-08-10 … Antioch, CA — Stamm (8)
1977-08-10 … Arkansas City, KS — Burford (2)
1977-08-10 … Bellingham, WA — Viking Twin (14)
1977-08-10 … Brattleboro, VT — First
1977-08-10 … Culpeper, VA — State (2)
1977-08-10 … Cumberland, MD — Center (3)
1977-08-10 … Davis, CA — Varsity Twin (8)
1977-08-10 … Delaware, OH — Strand (4)
1977-08-10 … El Centro, CA — Crest (1)
1977-08-10 … Fairfield, CA — Fairfield Twin (13)
1977-08-10 … Front Royal, VA — Park
1977-08-10 … Green River, WY — Riviera
1977-08-10 … Hastings on the Thornapple, MI — Strand Supper Cinema (12)
1977-08-10 … Longview, WA — Columbia
1977-08-10 … Martinsville, VA — Rives
1977-08-10 … Mount Vernon, WA — Lincoln
1977-08-10 … Mountain View, CA — Moffett 3-Screen Drive-In (19)
1977-08-10 … Napa, CA — Uptown Twin (15)
1977-08-10 … Oil City, PA — Drake (8)
1977-08-10 … Port Angeles, WA — Lincoln (4)
1977-08-10 … Pulaski, VA — Pulaski (2)
1977-08-10 … Rawlins, WY — Fox Twin (2)
1977-08-10 … Sheridan, WY — Centennial
1977-08-10 … Sonora, CA — Plaza Twin (11)
1977-08-10 … Staunton, VA — Plaza
1977-08-10 … Troy, AL — Pike (2)
1977-08-10 … Vallejo, CA — Cine 21 Triplex (12)
1977-08-10 … Vernal, UT — Cinema Twin (#1: 3)
1977-08-10 … Vernal, UT — Cinema Twin (#2: 1)
1977-08-10 … Williston, ND — Grand (2)

1977-08-11 … Gallatin, TN — Sumner Drive-In (2)
1977-08-11 … Harlan, IA — Uptown (2)
1977-08-11 … Keokuk, IA — Plaza
1977-08-11 … Leesville, LA — Vernon
1977-08-11 … Mount Pleasant, IA — Temple
1977-08-11 … Oelwein, IA — Capri (2)
1977-08-11 … Webster City, IA — Webster (2)
1977-08-11 … Willmar, MN — Cinema Twin

1977-08-12 … Auburn, AL — Tiger (10)
1977-08-12 … Blytheville, AR — Malco Twin (7)
1977-08-12 … Charlotte, NC — Eastland Mall Triplex (14)
1977-08-12 … Chatham, ON — Chatham Drive-In (3)
1977-08-12 … Clemson, SC — Astro Triplex (5)
1977-08-12 … Conroe, TX — North Hills (8)
1977-08-12 … Dixon, IL — Dixon
1977-08-12 … Fayetteville, GA — Fayette (2)
1977-08-12 … Fort Madison, IA — Fox
1977-08-12 … Galesburg, IL — Orpheum (10)
1977-08-12 … Hilton Head Island, SC — Island (3)
1977-08-12 … Huntsville, TX — Cinema Twin
1977-08-12 … Kendall, FL — The Movies at Kendall Twin (8)
1977-08-12 … Kerrville, TX — Plaza (3)
1977-08-12 … Kingsville, TX — Cine Twin
1977-08-12 … Laredo, TX — Cinema del Norte 4-Plex (9)
1977-08-12 … Lawton, OK — Video Twin (14)
1977-08-12 … Lincolnton, NC — Century (2)
1977-08-12 … Lufkin, TX — Angelina Twin
1977-08-12 … Maryville, TN — Lakemont
1977-08-12 … Menominee, MI — Lloyd
1977-08-12 … Miami, FL — Northside Twin (8)
1977-08-12 … Mitchellville, TN — 31-West Drive-In (2)
1977-08-12 … Morehead, KY — University
1977-08-12 … Moultrie, GA — Colquitt
1977-08-12 … Niagara Falls, ON — Hollywood Drive-In (3)
1977-08-12 … Niagara Falls, ON — Seneca Twin (3)
1977-08-12 … Oxford, MS — Cinema 6 (2)
1977-08-12 … Petersburg, VA — Walnut Mall Twin (10)
1977-08-12 … Red Wing, MN — Auditorium
1977-08-12 … Saint Marys, OH — St. Marys (1)
1977-08-12 … San Marcos, TX — Holiday Twin (3)
1977-08-12 … Seguin, TX — Palace Twin (2)
1977-08-12 … Stephenville, TX — Majestic (2)
1977-08-12 … Sumter, SC — Wesmark Plaza Twin (5)
1977-08-12 … Sweetwater, TX — Texas Twin
1977-08-12 … Union City, CA — Union City 3-Screen Drive-In (19)
1977-08-12 … Walkertown, NC — Bel-Air Drive-In (2)
1977-08-12 … Whitewater, WI — Towne
1977-08-12 … Winchester, KY — Leeds (2)

1977-08-17 … Alexandria, VA — Hybla Valley (18)
1977-08-17 … Arlington, VA — Arlington (14)
1977-08-17 … Baker City, OR — Eltrym (2)
1977-08-17 … Bel Air, MD — Harford Mall Twin (18)
1977-08-17 … Billerica, MA — Pinehurst Drive-In (3)
1977-08-17 … Cooperstown, NY — Cooperstown (4)
1977-08-17 … Dodge City, KS — Circle Twin (4)
1977-08-17 … El Centro, CA — Fox (2)
1977-08-17 … Fairfax, VA — Fair City Mall Triplex (55)
1977-08-17 … Fort Morgan, CO — Cover
1977-08-17 … Gaithersburg, MD — Quince Orchard Twin (#1: 38)
1977-08-17 … Gaithersburg, MD — Quince Orchard Twin (#2: 5)
1977-08-17 … Jackson, WY — Jackson Hole
1977-08-17 … La Habra, CA — Fashion Square 4-Plex (#1: 18)
1977-08-17 … La Habra, CA — Fashion Square 4-Plex (#2: 9)
1977-08-17 … Lancaster, CA — Lancaster 3-Screen Drive-In (15)
1977-08-17 … Lansing, MI — Starlite Drive-In (8)
1977-08-17 … Los Angeles (Woodland Hills), CA — Topanga Twin (18)
1977-08-17 … Manchester, IA — Castle
1977-08-17 … Malone, NY — Cinema Plaza
1977-08-17 … Marshall, MO — Auditorium (2)
1977-08-17 … Montclair, CA — Montclair Triplex (18)
1977-08-17 … Montrose, CO — Fox
1977-08-17 … North Adams, MA — Mohawk (7)
1977-08-17 … Oxon Hill, MD — Oxon Hill (18)
1977-08-17 … Pendleton, OR — United Artists
1977-08-17 … Port Orchard, WA — Rodeo Drive-In
1977-08-17 … Portage, MI — Beacon Twin (10)
1977-08-17 … San Bernardino, CA — Central City 4-Plex (#1: 18)
1977-08-17 … San Bernardino, CA — Central City 4-Plex (#2: 18)
1977-08-17 … Springfield, VA — Springfield Mall 4-Plex (18)
1977-08-17 … Ventura, CA — Fox (18)
1977-08-17 … West Hyattsville, MD — Queen’s Chapel Drive-In (4)
1977-08-17 … Wheaton, MD — Aspen Hill Twin (#1: 30)
1977-08-17 … Wheaton, MD — Aspen Hill Twin (#2: 10)
1977-08-17 … Williamsburg, VA — Williamsburg (5)

1977-08-18 … Batesville, MS — Eureka (2)

1977-08-19 … Alamogordo, NM — Sands (4)
1977-08-19 … Albany, GA — Mall Twin (10)
1977-08-19 … Alliance, OH — College Plaza Twin
1977-08-19 … Alva, OK — Rialto
1977-08-19 … Beeville, TX — Rialto
1977-08-19 … Big Spring, TX — College Park (6)
1977-08-19 … Brandon, MB — Towne (3)
1977-08-19 … Cleveland, TN — Cinema Twin (6)
1977-08-19 … Cornwall, ON — Port (7)
1977-08-19 … Dennis, MA — Dennisport
1977-08-19 … Dublin, GA — Martin (2)
1977-08-19 … Fayetteville, OK — Ritz (3)
1977-08-19 … Guelph, ON — Odeon (8)
1977-08-19 … Hartford, WI — Hartford (2)
1977-08-19 … Hialeah, FL — Palm Springs Twin (9)
1977-08-19 … Lethbridge, AB — Paramount (9)
1977-08-19 … Ludington, MI — Lyric (4)
1977-08-19 … Martinsburg, WV — Berkeley Plaza
1977-08-19 … Muskegon, MI — Auto Drive-In
1977-08-19 … New Braunfels, TX — Cinema Twin (3)
1977-08-19 … Pekin, IL — Pekin Mall Twin (10)
1977-08-19 … Plainview, TX — Granada
1977-08-19 … Pontiac, IL — Eagle (4)
1977-08-19 … Provincetown, MA — Art Twin
1977-08-19 … Pryor, OK — Allred (2)
1977-08-19 … Roswell, NM — Cinema Twin (7)
1977-08-19 … Saint John, NB — Odeon (7)
1977-08-19 … San Luis Obispo, CA — Madonna Plaza (13)
1977-08-19 … Senatobia, MS — Tobie (2)
1977-08-19 … Sidney, NY — Sidney (3)
1977-08-19 … Spearfish, SD — Campus (3)
1977-08-19 … Sun City Center, FL — Sun (1)
1977-08-19 … Surrey, BC — Hillcrest Drive-In (6)
1977-08-19 … Tarboro, NC — Colonial (2)
1977-08-19 … Tifton, GA — Towne
1977-08-19 … Valdosta, GA — Beverly
1977-08-19 … Van Wert, OH — Ridge Way Drive-In
1977-08-19 … Vancouver, BC — Varsity (7)
1977-08-19 … Weatherford, OK — Vesta (3)
1977-08-19 … Welland, ON — Seaway Twin (4)
1977-08-19 … Welland, ON — Welland Drive-In (2)
1977-08-19 … Wellfleet, MA — Wellfleet Drive-In
1977-08-19 … West Yarmouth, MA — Cinema 28
1977-08-19 … Williamston, NC — Cinema (2)
1977-08-19 … Windsor, ON — Windsor Drive-In (4)
1977-08-19 … Wisconsin Rapids, WI — Wisconsin (4)
1977-08-19 … Zephyrhills, FL — Home (1)

1977-08-24 … Bolivar, PA — Carroll (5)
1977-08-24 … Farmington, NM — Allen (6)
1977-08-24 … Great Bend, KS — Crest (4)
1977-08-24 … Harrisonburg, VA — Roth’s Triplex (13)
1977-08-24 … Lake Ozark, MO — Four Seasons (4)
1977-08-24 … Laurie, MO — Terrace (3)
1977-08-24 … Lexington Park, MD — Park (7)
1977-08-24 … Lucasville, OH — Scotio Breeze Drive-In (2)
1977-08-24 … Monticello, AR — ?
1977-08-24 … Morris, MN — Morris
1977-08-24 … Pierre, SD — State (3)
1977-08-24 … Rolla, MO — Uptown (5)
1977-08-24 … Vermillion, SD — Coyote (5)

1977-08-25 … Columbus, NE — Columbus (2)
1977-08-25 … Kewanee, IL — Midland Plaza (6)
1977-08-25 … Lincoln, IL — Lincoln (2)

1977-08-26 … Coral Gables, FL — Riviera (7)
1977-08-26 … Corsicana, TX — Cinema Twin (4)
1977-08-26 … Dade City, FL — Pasco (1)
1977-08-26 … El Dorado, AR — El Dorado Triplex
1977-08-26 … Emporia, KS — Petite Twin (5)
1977-08-26 … Hillsboro, IL — Orpheum Twin (2)
1977-08-26 … Hopkinsville, KY — Alhambra (3)
1977-08-26 … Jackson, GA — Hillcrest (2)
1977-08-26 … Kent, IL — Kent (1)
1977-08-26 … LaGrange, GA — LaGrange (2)
1977-08-26 … Matamoras, PA — Tri-States Indoor
1977-08-26 … Meridian, MS — Village (8)
1977-08-26 … Monroe, WI — Goetz (1)
1977-08-26 … Roswell, GA — Roswell Twin (24)
1977-08-26 … Starke, FL — Florida (2)
1977-08-26 … Watseka, IL — Watseka (2)
1977-08-26 … Washington Court House, OH — Chakeres Drive-In (2)
1977-08-26 … West Helena, AR — Gene Boggs Twin

1977-08-31 … Brookings, OR — Pine Cone (3)
1977-08-31 … Cedar City, MO — Bridge Drive-In (2)
1977-08-31 … Cody, WY — Park Drive-In (2)
1977-08-31 … Ellensburg, WA — Liberty (2)
1977-08-31 … Garden City, KS — State (2)
1977-08-31 … Leavenworth, KS — Skylark Drive-In (2)
1977-08-31 … Lexington, SC — No. 1 Drive-In (2)
1977-08-31 … Liberal, KS — Tucker (2)
1977-08-31 … Moncks Corner, SC — Swampfox Drive-In (1)
1977-08-31 … Ottawa, KS — Plaza (2)
1977-08-31 … Raton, NM — El Raton (2)
1977-08-31 … Sarver, PA — Cinema 356 (9)
1977-08-31 … Skaneateles, NY — Colonial (2)
1977-08-31 … Soda Springs, ID — Idan-ha (2)
1977-08-31 … Trinidad, CO — Fox (2)
1977-08-31 … Winchester, VA — Winchester Drive-In (2) [CinemaRadio]

1977-09-01 … Claremont, NH — Claremont Drive-In
1977-09-01 … Douglas, GA — Martin
1977-09-01 … Evanston, WY — Strand
1977-09-01 … Geneseo, IL — Central (2)
1977-09-01 … Princeton, IL — Apollo (2)
1977-09-01 … Taos, NM — Taos Plaza (3)
1977-09-01 … Waverly, IA — Waverly (2)

1977-09-02 … Altus, OK — Cinema (7)
1977-09-02 … Battle Creek, MI — West Columbia Triplex (10)
1977-09-02 … Big Rapids, MI — Big Rapids
1977-09-02 … Columbia, SC — Dutch Square Twin (12)
1977-09-02 … Del Rio, TX — Cinema (4)
1977-09-02 … East Hampton, NY — Easthampton Triplex (5)
1977-09-02 … Greenville, NC — Tice Drive-In (1)
1977-09-02 … Macomb, IL — Illinois (7)
1977-09-02 … Massena, NY — Massena
1977-09-02 … Milledgeville, GA — Campus
1977-09-02 … Moncton, NB — Riverview Twin (7)
1977-09-02 … Newmarket, ON — Newmarket Odeon (4)
1977-09-02 … Newnan, GA — Alamo (2)
1977-09-02 … Pine Bluff, AR — Broadmoor Twin
1977-09-02 … Prince George, BC — Moonlight Drive-In (2)
1977-09-02 … Prince George, BC — Odeon Triplex (7)
1977-09-02 … Red Deer, AB — Uptown (5)
1977-09-02 … Rensselaer, IN — Palace
1977-09-02 … Snellville, GA — Snellville (2)
1977-09-02 … Stillwater, OK — Satellite Twin (7)
1977-09-02 … Wauchula, FL — Wauchula Plaza Twin (2)
1977-09-02 … Woodward, OK — Lakeside (2)

1977-09-07 … Anaconda, MT — Washoe (1)
1977-09-07 … Effingham, IL — Village Twin (4)
1977-09-07 … Gillette, WY — Ski-Hi Drive-In
1977-09-07 … Junction City, KS — Colonial (2)
1977-09-07 … State College, PA — Movies (15)

1977-09-08 … Kirksville, MO — Kennedy

1977-09-09 … Augusta, MI — Park (4)
1977-09-09 … Englewood, FL — Palm Plaza Twin (4)
1977-09-09 … Forsyth, GA — Nancy
1977-09-09 … Fort Scott, KS — Fox (2)
1977-09-09 … Franklin, VA — State
1977-09-09 … Hobart, OK — Esquire Twin (2)
1977-09-09 … Medicine Hat, AB — Towne (4)
1977-09-09 … Morris, IL — Morris
1977-09-09 … Oklahoma City, OK — South Park 4-Plex (40)
1977-09-09 … Sudbury, ON — 69 Drive-In (2)
1977-09-09 … Sudbury, ON — Odeon Twin (7)
1977-09-09 … Toronto, ON — Mt. Pleasant (25)
1977-09-09 … Whitby, ON — Brock (5)

1977-09-14 … Atchison, KS — Fox (1)
1977-09-14 … Belleville, KS — Blair Drive-In (1)
1977-09-14 … Chillicothe, MO — Ben Bolt (2)
1977-09-14 … Ellsworth, ME — Maine Coast Twin (5)
1977-09-14 … Emporia, VA — South (2)
1977-09-14 … Hanover, NH — Nugget Twin
1977-09-14 … Milford, DE — Milford Plaza (2)
1977-09-14 … Moab, UT — Grand
1977-09-14 … Montpelier, VT — Capitol (11)
1977-09-14 … Saint Albans, VT — Welden (4)
1977-09-14 … Wellsboro, PA — Arcadia (2)
1977-09-14 … West Lebanon, NH — Valley Twin

1977-09-15 … Cordele, GA — Crisp (2)
1977-09-15 … Mendota, IL — State (2)

1977-09-16 … Camden, AR — Garden Oaks Twin (4)
1977-09-16 … Cullman, AL — Martin Twin (4)
1977-09-16 … Kingston, ON — Odeon Twin (7)
1977-09-16 … Laurens, SC — Oaks (2)
1977-09-16 … McAlester, OK — Cinema 69 Twin (6)
1977-09-16 … Mountain Home, AR — Baxter (2)
1977-09-16 … Newport, AR — Village Twin
1977-09-16 … Paris, TX — Grand (3)
1977-09-16 … Pembroke, ON — Centre (3)
1977-09-16 … Port Lavaca, TX — Port Lavaca Twin Dolphins (2)
1977-09-16 … Rochester, IN — Times (2)
1977-09-16 … Thunder Bay, ON — Court (7)
1977-09-16 … Waynesville, NC — Strand (3)
1977-09-16 … Winnipeg, MB — Odeon Drive-In (2)

1977-09-18 … Santa Barbara, CA — Granada (14) [70mm-Dolby]

1977-09-21 … Buena Vista, VA — Cinema (2)
1977-09-21 … Carlsbad, NM — Cavern (2)
1977-09-21 … Gainesville, TX — State (2)
1977-09-21 … Gouverneur, NY — Gralyn (2)
1977-09-21 … Hanford, CA — Hanford (5)
1977-09-21 … Hanover, PA — Plaza (5)
1977-09-21 … Los Alamos, NM — Centre (1)
1977-09-21 … Lovington, NM — Lea (1)
1977-09-21 … Oxford, OH — Miami Western (3)
1977-09-21 … Portales, NM — Tower (2)
1977-09-21 … Porterville, CA — Porter Triplex (6)
1977-09-21 … Pottstown, PA — Fox (13)
1977-09-21 … Tucumcari, NM — Odeon (1)
1977-09-21 … Vernon, BC — Odeon Drive-In (2)
1977-09-21 … Wellsville, NY — Babcock (2)

1977-09-22 … Pella, IA — Holland (2)

1977-09-23 … Athens, AL — Athens (2)
1977-09-23 … Benton, IL — Toler (1)
1977-09-23 … Burnaby, BC — Dolphin (9)
1977-09-23 … Ebensburg, PA — Ebensburg (3)
1977-09-23 … Gallatin, TN — Gallatin (2)
1977-09-23 … Geneva, IL — Geneva (3)
1977-09-23 … Kamloops, BC — Starlight Drive-In
1977-09-23 … Saint Charles, IL — Arcada (3)
1977-09-23 … Val d’Or, QC — Marcel (1)
1977-09-23 … Watertown, WI — Town (3)

1977-09-28 … Ashland, WI — Bay
1977-09-28 … Auburn, NY — K-Mart Plaza Twin
1977-09-28 … Mansfield, CT — College (3)
1977-09-28 … Marshall, MI — Bohm (2)
1977-09-28 … Ukiah, CA — Ukiah (6) [Dolby]
1977-09-28 … White Rock, NM — White Roxy (2)

1977-09-29 … Branson, MO — Tablerock Twin (3)

1977-09-30 … Brunswick, GA — Altama Village Twin (2)
1977-09-30 … Cloverdale, BC — Clova (8)
1977-09-30 … Cornwall, ON — Mustang Drive-In (1)
1977-09-30 … Cumberland Gap, TN — Mack (3)
1977-09-30 … Del Rio, TX — Rita (1)
1977-09-30 … Easley, SC — Easley Mall Twin (3)
1977-09-30 … Gadsden, AL — Mall Twin (5)
1977-09-30 … Markham, ON — Parkway Drive-In (1)
1977-09-30 … Markham, ON — Towne (5)
1977-09-30 … Miami, OK — Coleman (4)
1977-09-30 … Moose Jaw, SK — Mini (5)
1977-09-30 … Vancouver, BC — Clova (8)
1977-09-30 … Yazoo City, MS — Yazoo (2)

1977-10-05 … Grants, NM — West (2)
1977-10-05 … Huntingdon, PA — Clifton (3)
1977-10-05 … Jennings, LA — Cinema I (2)
1977-10-05 … Mattoon, IL — Times (4)
1977-10-05 … Meridan, CT — Meridan Mall Twin (11)
1977-10-05 … Sturgeon Bay, WI — Donna
1977-10-05 … Valley City, ND — Omwick (3)
1977-10-05 … Woodland, CA — State Triplex (4)

1977-10-07 … Albemarle, NC — Center
1977-10-07 … Del Rio, TX — Cinema (1)
1977-10-07 … Eufaula, AL — Martin (1)
1977-10-07 … Fairbanks, AK — Goldstream Twin (6)
1977-10-07 … Grande Prairie, AB — Jan (3)
1977-10-07 … Hinesville, GA — Cinema City (1)
1977-10-07 … Lincolnton, NC — Century
1977-10-07 … North Bay, ON — Champlain Twin (4)
1977-10-07 … Okmulgee, OK — Orpheum Twin (4)
1977-10-07 … Southampton, NY — Southampton (5)
1977-10-07 … Tahlequah, OK — Westside Drive-In
1977-10-07 … Titusville, FL — Towne
1977-10-07 … Venice, FL — Jacaranda Plaza Twin
1977-10-07 … Walterboro, SC — Cook (1)

1977-10-09 … Sayre, OK — Stovall
1977-10-09 … Truth or Consequences, NM — El Rio (2)

1977-10-12 … Bryan, OH — Bryan (3)
1977-10-12 … Danville, PA — Capitol (2)
1977-10-12 … Ironwood, MI — Ironwood (3)
1977-10-12 … Kittanning, PA — State (3)
1977-10-12 … Las Vegas, NM — Serf (1)
1977-10-12 … Lawrence, KS — Hillcrest Triplex (3)
1977-10-12 … Litchfield, IL — Capitol (2)
1977-10-12 … Mora, MN — Paradise (2) [Dolby]

1977-10-13 … Rock Rapids, IA — Rapids (2)
1977-10-13 … Vandalia, IL — Liberty (2)

1977-10-14 … Atoka, OK — Thompson (1)
1977-10-14 … Calgary, AB — Corral Drive-In (4)
1977-10-14 … Charlottetown, PE — Prince Edward Twin (3)
1977-10-14 … Concord, ON — Dufferin Drive-In (1)
1977-10-14 … Duncan, BC — Odeon (6)
1977-10-14 … Fort Pierce, FL — Sunrise (3)
1977-10-14 … Fredericton, NB — Gaiety (5)
1977-10-14 … Laredo, TX — Plaza Triplex (1)
1977-10-14 … Murphysboro, IL — New Liberty (2)
1977-10-14 … Rockingham, NC — Richmond Plaza (1)
1977-10-14 … Tupelo, MS — Malco Twin (6)

1977-10-16 … Hope, AR — Saenger (1)

1977-10-19 … Columbia, MS — Marion (1)
1977-10-19 … El Centro, CA — Crest (1)
1977-10-19 … Flagstaff, AZ — Orpheum (5)
1977-10-19 … Gettysburg, PA — Majestic (3)
1977-10-19 … Juneau, AK — 20th Century (4)
1977-10-19 … Lake Havasu City, AZ — Cinema (2)
1977-10-19 … Lock Haven, PA — Garden (4)
1977-10-19 … Marshall, MI — Bogar (2)
1977-10-19 … Prescott, AZ — Marina (7)
1977-10-19 … Sierra Vista, AZ — Geronimo Drive-In (3)

1977-10-20 … Selkirk, MB — Garry (1)

1977-10-21 … Carbondale, IL — Saluki Twin (4)
1977-10-21 … Durant, OK — Plaza (2)
1977-10-21 … Eau Claire, WI — Barstow Commons (6)
1977-10-21 … Ishpeming, MI — Butler (1)
1977-10-21 … Pickering, ON — Bay Ridges Drive-In (1)

1977-10-23 … Silver City, NM — Gila (2)

1977-10-26 … Auburn, CA — State (4)
1977-10-26 … Carthage, TX — Esquire (1)
1977-10-26 … Lewisburg, PA — Campus (3)
1977-10-26 … Mexico, MO — Liberty (3)
1977-10-26 … Williamsburg, KY — Lane (1)
1977-10-26 … Yreka, CA — Broadway (3)

1977-10-27 … Elizabethtown, KY — Elizabethtown (3)
1977-10-27 … Madisonville, TX — Madison (1)

1977-10-28 … Grande Prairie, AB — Prairie Cinema Centre (1)
1977-10-28 … Greenville, NC — Buccaneer Twin (4)
1977-10-28 … Kennewick, WA — Columbia Center Triplex (4)
1977-10-28 … Kitchener, ON — Odeon (4)
1977-10-28 … Kokomo, IN — Alpha Twin (6)
1977-10-28 … Mangum, OK — Lin (1)
1977-10-28 … Oakville, ON — 5 Drive-In (1)
1977-10-28 … Oshawa, ON — Marks (8)
1977-10-28 … Saint John, NB — Parkway Twin (1)
1977-10-28 … Surrey, BC — Surrey Drive-In (1)
1977-10-28 … Swift Current, SK — Lyric (2)

1977-10-30 … Cheyenne, OK — Rook (2)

1977-11-02 … Forrest City, AR — Imperial (1)
1977-11-02 … Hamilton, TX — Texan (2)
1977-11-02 … Harlan, KY — Margie Grand (1)
1977-11-02 … Holdenville, OK — Nicholson (1)
1977-11-02 … Ridgecrest, CA — Ridge (3)

1977-11-04 … Ardmore, OK — Video Twin (7)
1977-11-04 … Charlottetown, PE — Charlottetown Twin (2)
1977-11-04 … Chickasha, OK — Washita Twin (6)
1977-11-04 … Duncan, OK — Palace Twin (6)
1977-11-04 … Edmonton, AB — Twin Drive-In (1)
1977-11-04 … Grand Junction, CO — Monument Twin (7) [Dolby]
1977-11-04 … Livingston, TX — Fain (1)
1977-11-04 … Lockhart, TX — Baker (2)
1977-11-04 … Philadelphia, PA — Mark I (37) [70mm-Dolby]
1977-11-04 … St. John’s, NL — Avalon Mall Twin (5)

1977-11-09 … Corner Brook, NL — Majestic (2)
1977-11-09 … Gatesville, TX — Cinema (1)
1977-11-09 … Gettysburg, PA — Village Twin (9)
1977-11-09 … Lakeport, CA — Lakeport (3)
1977-11-09 … Mexia, TX — Mexia (2)
1977-11-09 … Red Bluff, CA — State (3)
1977-11-09 … Vacaville, CA — Vacaville (5)

1977-11-11 … Bellaire, OH — Capitol (2)
1977-11-11 … Cleveland, TX — Texan (1)
1977-11-11 … Corpus Christi, TX — Cine West Twin (5)
1977-11-11 … Danville, VA — Park (2)
1977-11-11 … Douglas, AZ — Fort Cochise Drive-In (1)
1977-11-11 … East Hampton, NY — Easthampton Triplex (1)
1977-11-11 … Sydney, NS — Vogue (3)

1977-11-16 … Barstow, CA — Barstow Twin (5)
1977-11-16 … Bishop, CA — Bishop (2)
1977-11-16 … Blythe, CA — Blythe (1)
1977-11-16 … Boise City, OK — Camelot (1)
1977-11-16 … Clarion, PA — Garby (5)
1977-11-16 … Gatesville, TX — Town & Country Drive-In (1)
1977-11-16 … Grove City, PA — Guthrie (5)
1977-11-16 … Hugo, OK — Erie (2)
1977-11-16 … Kingman, AZ — State (2)
1977-11-16 … Portage la Prairie, MB — Cinema Centre (1)
1977-11-16 … Titusville, PA — Penn (3)
1977-11-16 … Victorville, CA — El Rancho Twin (5)
1977-11-16 … Winslow, AZ — Rialto (2)

1977-11-17 … Dauphin, MB — Dauphin (1)
1977-11-17 … Port Hardy, BC — Thunderbird (2)

1977-11-18 … Asheville, NC — Asheville West (14)
1977-11-18 … California, PA — Hollywood
1977-11-18 … Du Bois, PA — Du Bois Twin (5)
1977-11-18 … Moundsville, WV — Strand (5)
1977-11-18 … New Westminster, BC — Odeon New West (4)
1977-11-18 … Oberlin, OH — Apollo (2)
1977-11-18 … Salinas, CA — Northridge 4-Plex (5) [Dolby]
1977-11-18 … Somerset, PA — Cinema 219 (5)
1977-11-18 … Timmins, ON — Palace (3)
1977-11-18 … Weirton, WV — Plaza (5)
1977-11-18 … Westhampton, NY — Westhampton (5)
1977-11-18 … Winter Haven, FL — Winter Haven Mall (3)

1977-11-23 … Anniston, AL — Plaza Triplex (4)
1977-11-23 … Athens, GA — Beechwood Twin (3)
1977-11-23 … Bemidji, MN — Amigo Twin (4)
1977-11-23 … Benton Harbor, MI — Loma (2)
1977-11-23 … Big Bear Lake, CA — Village (2)
1977-11-23 … Blackduck, MN — Drake (1)
1977-11-23 … Bonham, TX — American (1)
1977-11-23 … Brazil, IN — Cooper (1)
1977-11-23 … Centralia, WA — Fox (2)
1977-11-23 … Chardon, OH — Geauga (4)
1977-11-23 … Clinton, NY — Cannonball (4)
1977-11-23 … Columbus, TX — Oaks (2)
1977-11-23 … Cuero, TX — Rialto (1)
1977-11-23 … Greenville, SC — Bijou 6-Plex (15)
1977-11-23 … Hiawatha, KS — Arrow
1977-11-23 … Leitchfield, KY — Alice (1)
1977-11-23 … Pewaukee, WI — Lake (2)
1977-11-23 … Postville, IA — Iris (1)
1977-11-23 … Richland Center, WI — Eskin (2)
1977-11-23 … Shenandoah, IA — Page (2)
1977-11-23 … Sparta, WI — Sparta (1)
1977-11-23 … Sulphur Springs, TX — Mission (2)
1977-11-23 … Telluride, CO — Sheridan Opera House
1977-11-23 … Turlock, CA — California Twin (6)
1977-11-23 … Wasilla, AK — Airport (2)

1977-11-24 … Blackwell, OK — Video (2)
1977-11-24 … Emmetsburg, IA — Iowa (2)
1977-11-24 … La Grange, TX — Cozy (1)
1977-11-24 … Marietta, GA — Canton Corners Twin (27) [Dolby]
1977-11-24 … Neepawa, MB — Roxy (1)
1977-11-24 … Nogales, AZ — El Rancho Drive-In (1)
1977-11-24 … The Pas, MB — Lido (1)
1977-11-24 … Phenix City, AL — Phenix Twin (5)

1977-11-25 … Halifax, NS — Hyland (4)
1977-11-25 … Hartford, KY — Kentucky (3)
1977-11-25 … Kitchener, ON — Hyland (4)
1977-11-25 … Pampa, TX — Capri (2)
1977-11-25 … Port Arthur, TX — Park Plaza Twin (3)
1977-11-25 … Winchester, VA — Camelot Twin (3)

1977-11-28 … Parksville, BC — Park (2)

1977-12-01 … Prince Albert, SK — Cinema 4-Plex (4) [Dolby]

1977-12-02 … Brookings, OR — Pine Cone (5)

1977-12-07 … Globe, AZ — Globe (1)

1977-12-09 … Aiken, SC — Cinema

1977-12-14 … Albuquerque, NM — Louisiana Blvd. Triplex (8)
1977-12-14 … Denver, CO — Continental (26) [70mm-Dolby]
1977-12-14 … Des Moines, IA — Riviera (27)
1977-12-14 … Omaha, NE — Indian Hills Cameo (19)

1977-12-16 … Abilene, TX — Brookhollow Movies! Twin (6)
1977-12-16 … Amarillo, TX — Showplace 4-Plex (7)
1977-12-16 … Austin, TX — Village 4-Plex (8) [Dolby]
1977-12-16 … Bessemer, AL — Bessemer Twin (8)
1977-12-16 … Brownsville, TX — Majestic Twin
1977-12-16 … Columbia, SC — Gamecock Twin (25)
1977-12-16 … Coral Gables, FL — Gables (19)
1977-12-16 … Knoxville, TN — Capri 70 (13)
1977-12-16 … Levittown, NY — Nassau 4-Plex (31) [70mm-Dolby]
1977-12-16 … Lubbock, TX — Backstage (17)
1977-12-16 … Orange Park, FL — Orange Park 5-Plex (13)
1977-12-16 … Pompano Beach, FL — Pompano Twin (24)
1977-12-16 … Raleigh, NC — Terrace Twin (14) [Dolby]
1977-12-16 … Tulsa, OK — Fontana 4-Plex (24)
1977-12-16 … Vancouver, BC — Coronet Twin (13)
1977-12-16 … Vancouver, BC — Hyland (12)
1977-12-16 … Vidalia, GA — Cinema

1977-12-21 … Amherst, OH — Amherst (7)
1977-12-21 … Arlington, TX — Cinema 4-Plex (37)
1977-12-21 … Ashland, OH — Ashland Square Triplex (5)
1977-12-21 … Columbiana, OH — Columbiana (4)
1977-12-21 … Fort Bragg, CA — Coast
1977-12-21 … Fort Stockton, TX — Apache (1)
1977-12-21 … Hollister, CA — Strand (3)
1977-12-21 … Macon, GA — Westgate Triplex (9)
1977-12-21 … Roseville, CA — Tower (4)
1977-12-21 … San Francisco, CA — Cinema 21 (24) [70mm-Dolby]
1977-12-21 … Southfield, MI — Northland Twin (27) [70mm-Dolby]
1977-12-21 … Susanville, CA — Sierra (2)
1977-12-21 … Vernon Hills, IL — Hawthorn 4-Plex (26) [Dolby]

1977-12-22 … Casa Grande, AZ — Paramount (4)
1977-12-22 … Jacksonville, AR — Flick Twin (5)
1977-12-22 … Weimar, TX — Palace (1)

1977-12-23 … Akron, OH — Akron Square 6-Plex (15)
1977-12-23 … Albany, GA — State (4)
1977-12-23 … Altamonte Springs, FL — Interstate Mall 6-Plex (21)
1977-12-23 … Augusta, GA — Masters 4-Plex (12)
1977-12-23 … Austintown, OH — Austintown Plaza Triplex (27)
1977-12-23 … Avon, CT — Avon Twin
1977-12-23 … Belton, TX — Beltonian (1)
1977-12-23 … Bisbee, AZ — Lyric (2)
1977-12-23 … Brook Park, OH — Brookgate 5-Plex (29)
1977-12-23 … Brossard, QC — Brossard Triplex (13) [Version Francaise]
1977-12-23 … Calgary, AB — Marlborough Twin (8)
1977-12-23 … Calgary, AB — Westbrook Triplex (12)
1977-12-23 … Cedar Grove, NJ — Cinema 23 (30) [70mm-Dolby]
1977-12-23 … Clearfield, UT — Lakeside Twin (4)
1977-12-23 … Cleveland, OH — Colony (29) [70mm-Dolby]
1977-12-23 … Creve Coeur, MO — Creve Coeur (25) [70mm-Dolby]
1977-12-23 … Denton, TX — Fine Arts (3)
1977-12-23 … Doraville, GA — Buford Highway Twin (23) [Dolby]
1977-12-23 … Drummondville, QC — Drummond (3) [Version Francaise]
1977-12-23 … Edmonton, AB — Capilano (11)
1977-12-23 … East Ridge, TN — Showcase Twin (13)
1977-12-23 … El Paso, TX — Montwood Triplex (12)
1977-12-23 … Erie, PA — Eastway Twin (37)
1977-12-23 … Fort Wayne, IN — Georgetown Twin (13)
1977-12-23 … Gladstone, MI — Rialto (1)
1977-12-23 … Hamden, CT — Whitney (20)
1977-12-23 … Hartford, CT — Cinema City 4-Plex (34)
1977-12-23 … Homewood, AL — Green Springs 4-Plex (24)
1977-12-23 … Ladysmith, WI — Miner (3)
1977-12-23 … Laval, QC — Laval Twin (13) [Version Francaise]
1977-12-23 … Lincoln, NE — Plaza 4-plex (7)
1977-12-23 … Little Rock, AR — University 4-Plex (20)
1977-12-23 … Memphis, TN — Whitehaven (12)
1977-12-23 … Milwaukee, WI — Esquire (17)
1977-12-23 … Mobile, AL — Springdale 6-Plex (12)
1977-12-23 … Montreal, QC — Champlain Twin (24) [Version Francaise]
1977-12-23 … Morgan, UT — Morgan (1)
1977-12-23 … Morton, IL — Morton (6)
1977-12-23 … New Orleans, LA — State Triplex (12)
1977-12-23 … North Canton, OH — Belden Village 4-Plex (14)
1977-12-23 … Oak Brook, IL — Oakbrook (30) [70mm-Dolby]
1977-12-23 … Ottawa, ON — Elmdale (9)
1977-12-23 … Quebec City, QC — Le Dauphin (13) [Version Francaise]
1977-12-23 … Saint-Hyacinthe, QC — Cinema de Paris (3) [Version Francaise]
1977-12-23 … Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC — Capitol (3) [Version Francaise]
1977-12-23 … Saint-Jerome, QC — Rex (3) [Version Francaise]
1977-12-23 … San Antonio, TX — Aztec Triplex (10)
1977-12-23 … Sherbrooke, QC — Cinema de Paris (4) [Version Francaise]
1977-12-23 … Shreveport, LA — Eastgate 4-Plex (9)
1977-12-23 … Toronto, ON — Bijou (5)
1977-12-23 … Trois-Rivieres, QC — Cinema de Paris (5) [Version Francaise]
1977-12-23 … Verdun, QC — Verdun (5) [Version Francaise]
1977-12-23 … Victoria, BC — Counting House Twin (10)
1977-12-23 … Washington, IL — Valley Forge (3)
1977-12-23 … Williams, AZ — Powell (2)
1977-12-23 … Winston-Salem, NC — Reynolda Twin (12)
1977-12-23 … Winter Haven, FL — Boulevard Triplex (7)

1977-12-24 … Ketchikan, AK — Coliseum (2)

1977-12-25 … American Falls, ID — Americana
1977-12-25 … Dallas, OR — Motor-Vu Drive-In
1977-12-25 … Hampton, IA — Windsor (1)
1977-12-25 … Hoisington, KS — Royal (1)
1977-12-25 … Holbrook, AZ — Roxy (1)
1977-12-25 … Humboldt, IA — Humota (1)
1977-12-25 … Iowa Falls, IA — Met (2)
1977-12-25 … Las Vegas, NV — Red Rock 11-Plex (12)
1977-12-25 … Mason, MI — Mason Plaza Twin (5)
1977-12-25 … Mullens, WV — Wyoming (1)
1977-12-25 … Wakefield, MI — Wakefield Motor Lodge (1)
1977-12-25 … Washington, IA — State (1)
1977-12-25 … Williamstown, MA — Images (1)

1977-12-26 … Bedford, IA — Hardin (1)

1977-12-27 … Fort Macleod, AB — Empress (2)

1978-01-01 … Santa Rosa, NM — Rodeo (1)

1978-01-04 … Crescent City, CA — Pic (2)

1978-01-11 … Ladysmith, BC — Caprice (2)
1978-01-11 … Sitka, AK — Coliseum (2)

1978-01-20 … Gillespie, IL — Canna (1)

1978-01-21 … Russell, MB — Avalon (1)

1978-01-25 … Clayton, NM — Luna (1)
1978-01-25 … Las Vegas, NV — Cinemas Triplex (7)

1978-01-26 … Roblin, MB — Roblin (1)

1978-01-29 … Deming, NM — El Rancho (2)

1978-02-03 … Winnipeg, MB — Garrick Twin (2)

1978-02-08 … Pincher Creek, AB — Fox (1)

1978-02-09 … Willcox, AZ — Willcox (2)

1978-02-16 … Cardston, AB — Mayfair (1)

1978-02-17 … Winnipeg, MB — Hyland (3)

1978-02-23 … Glenboro, MB — Gaiety (1)
1978-02-23 … Strathclair, MB — Grand (1)

1978-03-03 … Montreal, QC — Atwater Twin (18)

1978-03-10 … Winnipeg, MB — Kings (12)

1978-03-17 … Vancouver, BC — Dunbar (12)

1978-03-22 … Portage, WI — Portage (1)

1978-03-23 … Gladstone, MB — Audio (1)

1978-03-24 … Longueuil, QC — Longueuil (2) [Version Francaise]
1978-03-24 … Quebec City, QC — Frontenac Twin (5) [Version Francaise]
1978-03-24 … Rivers, MB — Rivers (1)

1978-03-31 … Hamiota, MB — Hamiota (1)

* Rotational booking with other area theaters
** Engagement included a three-week interruption for a film festival

On July 21st, 1978, despite the original release never fully coming to an end, over 1,700 new engagements commenced (plus about 300 more a week later) culminating in a seven-week general release/re-release. All prints (save for one in the Portland market due to a lawsuit and a holdover clause in the booking contract) were pulled from release following the first week of September. (The Portland run continued as an exclusive through November 7th.)

The original Star Wars had additional North American re-releases in 1979, 1981, 1982, 1983, and 1997 (and through the years numerous special benefit screenings). Its first home-video release was in 1982. Its pay-per-view broadcast debut was in 1982. Its premium-channel cable TV debut was in 1983. Its network television debut was in 1984. (International dates varied by territory.)

THE Q&A

Marcus Hearn is the author of The Cinema of George Lucas (2005, Abrams). He also wrote Star Wars: Attack of the Clones — The Illustrated Companion (2002, Ebury) and Doctor Who: The Vault — Treasures from the First 50 Years (2013, Harper Design).

Patrick Read Johnson is the writer and director of 5-25-77. Patrick is recognized as the first civilian to see Star Wars during a visit to Industrial Light and Magic in early 1977 while the film was still in production. His other films include Spaced Invaders, Baby’s Day Out, Angus, and The Genesis Code, and he was the co-writer of DragonHeart. Patrick currently teaches at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts.

Charles de Lauzirika produced the Star Wars: Launch Bay featurette now playing at Disneyland in Anaheim and Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Orlando, which explores the past, present and future of the Star Wars franchise. Charles is an acclaimed film documentarian and DVD/Blu-ray producer with over 100 credits, including such essential home video box sets as Blade Runner, Twin Peaks, Prometheus and the Alien Anthology. His feature directorial debut Crave, starring Ron Perlman, was released in 2013, and won multiple awards at festivals around the world.

Kevin Rubio is the director and co-writer of Troops, the acclaimed Cops Meets Star Wars parody that was at the forefront of the fan film movement. Kevin is the creative director at Synaptic VFX Studios and has written for such TV series as Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Thunderbirds Are Go!, and Ben 10: Omniverse. He is an honorary member of the 501st Legion.

The interviews were conducted separately and have been edited into a “roundtable” conversation format.

Michael Coate (The Digital Bits): To what do you attribute the enduring appeal of Star Wars? Why has the original movie and subsequent franchise been such a force to be reckoned with?

Marcus Hearn: Star Wars is one of those very rare films that established new parameters for film entertainment. Dr. No is another. The impact of both those films is still being felt today.

Patrick Read Johnson: Star Wars arrived on the scene at a time when America was still reeling from the end of the Vietnam War — the first war we ever lost — and the staggering loss of respect for our political leadership, both for that disaster and the disgrace of Watergate. Add to the mix the idea that ours was the first generation of kids who were dealing with the incredible post-60s explosion of divorce and you had the makings of an adolescent malaise for which Star Wars was the perfect cure. Curled up in our seats in movie theaters showing Star Wars, we could WIN again… we could trust the wisdom of our often perplexing but somehow comforting Grandparents, (who’d won World War II no less!) to guide us past the mistakes made by the promise-breaking parents who’d torn our families apart…. Just like American Graffiti, Star Wars was really about US. And, just like the films some of us were making in our back yards, it had the feeling that it had been made out of things you could find lying around your garage. And that the younger characters were being played by the same people in the drama club at your high school.

Charles de Lauzirika: I think the way people respond to Star Wars has evolved over the years, but at its core remains a very strong morality tale that combines timeless themes with new technology in a unique way that no other franchise has quite equaled, and many have tried. The Original Trilogy in particular, offers us a vibrant family of characters who are not only relatable but also, in many ways, inspirational. I feel like most people want their own existence to have larger-than-life meaning. They want to be on an epic quest like Luke Skywalker, or enjoy the thrills and fun of being Han Solo, or shine as a positive beacon of leadership like Princess Leia. I find that in life, you want to surround yourself with friends who inspire and encourage you to be better than you are. In their own space opera way, the central characters of the Original Trilogy did just that. And the cosmic sense of destiny that urged those characters forward made the whole thing sing…. There was also the amazing world-building George Lucas and his design team achieved. At no time watching Star Wars did I ever — or do I ever — imagine the crew behind the camera. I don’t see Tunisia, circa 1976. I see Tatooine, circa a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Always. What I love about Ralph McQuarrie’s conceptual art, for example, is the way that the corridors and doorways in his backgrounds tease you with just a tiny glimpse of what’s through that portal or what’s in the next room. It’s that sense of a completely realized universe existing outside the edges of the frame or beyond the focus of the plot, all combined with highly compelling characters and adventures, and an almost religious communal experience for audiences all over the world, that makes Star Wars such a powerful fantasy for the human imagination to enjoy and revisit time and time again.

Kevin Rubio: Star Wars’ popularity endures due to many factors. The first being timing. The country had been through the hell of the late 60s, the Vietnam War and Watergate. The studio system had collapsed the auteurs and the new wave of kids who had been influenced by European cinema were turning out great works, but mostly serious works — The French Connection, The Conversation, Dog Day Afternoon, Taxi Driver. Star Wars was above all, a fun movie experience, and the country needed that…. Its look is also timeless. It's not set in any particular period. It has elements of both nostalgia and futurism, even today and does not date itself like other sci-fi of its time. Its basic story is also timeless and simple — good vs evil, fathers and sons…. Those two points propel a franchise and merchandising that cannot be ignored in today's culture. It has found a permanent place in the zeitgeist, and will probably endure long after you and I have shuffled off this mortal coil.

Coate: In what way is Star Wars worthy of celebration on its 40th anniversary?

Lauzirika: Simple. It still excites and inspires people of all ages, from all walks of life. The films show that whether you’re a farmboy on a dead end world, or a small-time criminal looking for redemption, or a headstrong orphan scavenging to survive, everyone has a chance to do great things and make the universe a better place. In its fourth decade, the mythology that George Lucas created continues to evolve into something even more inclusive and expansive. And that’s always been the magical balance of Star Wars, the balance between the intimate and the epic.

Coate: Describe the first time you saw Star Wars?

Hearn: I saw the first Star Wars in early 1978, when it went on general release in the United Kingdom. I was seven years old. I sat in the balcony of our local cinema with my father, and what I saw literally amazed me. It was the first time I'd ever been to the cinema. The only down side was that I wrongly assumed all subsequent cinema experiences would be that thrilling.

Johnson: I don’t want to spoil my film’s plot, but I can tell you that the first time I saw Star Wars was several months before it was finished. And that despite it having a great many un-composited blue-screen shots, no sound effects or music, and World War II footage and shots from 633 Squadron and Dam Busters still cut into the Death Star attack sequence, it was the most jaw-dropping thing I’d seen since 2001: A Space Odyssey…. The story of how and when I first saw the actual theatrical release is also spoiler material. All I can say is that, within the first few minutes of the film, I knew I would soon be getting into my Ford Pinto and driving from Wadsworth, Illinois (population 750) to Los Angeles. And that I wouldn’t be coming back until I was somehow a part of the kind of fun being had by the lucky people who’d had a chance to make this amazing film.

Lauzirika: My dad took me to see it opening day at the Chinese Theater in Hollywood. I was nine years old, and thanks to my love of Jaws, already a fledgling movie fanatic. I have fleeting but specific memories of that day. I remember already sort of innately knowing what Star Wars was, even though I hadn’t seen it yet. It just felt like something I had already been in love with since the beginning of time. But I remember looking at the lobby cards on display in the Chinese courtyard and imagining how those moments might play out in the film itself. For example, that high angle image looking down on Chewie walking behind Luke and Han at the medal ceremony. For some reason, not having seen the film yet, and given the stern formality of everyone in the photo, I mistakenly assumed that Chewie was an enemy who had captured Luke and Han as his prisoners, and was taking them to his supreme leader in some alien castle. Obviously, I was very, very wrong in regards to how that scene would ultimately play out, but it just goes to show how Star Wars inspires you to engage with the material and dream up your own stories…. But like most other kids, I sat there in the dark and had my mind blown on a profoundly deep level when the first notes of John Williams’ score accompanied the opening title and crawl. From the very beginning, Star Wars commanded your attention and never ever let go. Almost immediately, you just knew you were witnessing something that was more than just merely game-changing. It worked on a deeper, more primal level than that. So by the time you realized that the Star Destroyer rumbling over your head was the biggest thing you had ever seen — and it was still going! — you had already given yourself over to this universe mere seconds into the film. You surrender yourself to a grand narrative that touches you on almost a spiritual level. I think that’s why many people stick with Star Wars through thick and thin. You’re always rooting for it, you’re always hoping for the best, and you’ll always show up to see a new Star Wars movie, no matter what you thought of the last one. And it was with that intense love — that religion—that I left the Chinese Theater on May 25th, 1977 a changed little boy.

Rubio: It was the Century Theaters (like Hollywood's Cinerama Dome) in San Jose, California. The only thing I remember is my father remarking how the line was longer than the one for The Exorcist.

Coate: Where does the original movie rank among the entire franchise?

Hearn: The original movie is the best. It's beautifully realized, supremely self-confident, and the story is self-contained.

Johnson: It is, ultimately, [the best] because it’s the DNA for all that’s come after. And the audacity and exuberance of its cast and crew were growth hormones that made it all thrive. The first film is absolutely alchemical. And, even Empire, for all its amazing craft and maturity, is still just very healthy fruit picked from the tree of Star Wars.

Lauzirika: In regards to its original theatrical version, Star Wars has only gotten better with age, in my opinion. I have to admit that like a huge number of fans, I consider Empire to be the best entry in the Saga so far, mostly because it feels more daring, sophisticated and thrilling to me than the others. It’s funny, scary and bittersweet. But the organic purity and joy of Star Wars cannot be ignored. I watched it again recently and even now, after 38 years and who knows how many repeat viewings, I’m just flabbergasted by how endlessly inventive and entertaining it is. Not just in terms of effects or design, but also in terms of iconic moments and brilliant character building. I mean, every scene has at least one element we had never seen before, and not only were those elements new and original, they were also impossibly cool. There was a new “whoa!” moment every few shots. I think that’s why toy and merchandise sales took off so spectacularly. It was a way to transport yourself to that universe and immerse yourself in a reality that hadn’t existed in that particular way before. I spent the Summer of ’77 just drawing and writing, reading books and listening to music, and doing anything creative I could to fuel the explosion of imagination that Star Wars caused in my young mind…. Also in its favor, Star Wars tells a completely self-contained story. If that had been the first and final story taking place in this universe, it would still be entirely satisfying. The films that followed all had their own unique impact on not just the franchise but also worldwide pop culture in general. Yet nothing will ever compare to that first Summer of Star Wars. If young people today think Star Wars is everywhere now with all of the pre-release excitement for [the new Star Wars films] they should have been there in 1977 when the original film literally changed the world and inspired a whole generation of kids to become creative in ways they hadn’t even known was possible before.

Rubio: It waffles between number one and number two, depending on what week you catch me.

Coate: Why has Star Wars lent itself so well to homage and parody?

Hearn: I don't know, but I think it's worth mentioning that the vast majority of those homages are highly affectionate.

Johnson: Because it is already a "dramatic parody" of our most basic human struggles set in a kind of wonderfully preposterous sci-fi universe. And since we so un-cynically, and sometimes embarrassingly, gave ourselves up to loving it, for addressing our wounds, with such unbridled silliness, we are relieved and delighted to see IT made fun of, instead of US!

Lauzirika: Nearly every single thing about Star Wars is iconic and instantly recognizable. Comedy is based on things people can relate to. Most people can relate to Star Wars, or at least identify the meaning of the joke being told. Look at the scene in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off when the valet guys take the vintage Ferrari out for a Star Destroyer-style joy ride. I bet even if you hadn’t seen a single Star Wars film, you would have laughed at it instinctively simply though pop culture osmosis. But having seen Star Wars, you get it. You’re in on the joke. And you appreciate that John Hughes was a geek too. It’s an inclusive experience. Plus, as the years roll on, nostalgia becomes more of a factor. I know one reason a lot of people loved Guardians of the Galaxy — as I did —was because it felt so wonderfully Star Wars-y. It was a particular flavor of pulpy science-fantasy filmmaking we hadn’t really seen to that degree since Jedi. So you feel like you’re in good hands, taking part in entertainment that speaks to you, being made by people who share your tastes. And that connection is largely based on there being so many immediately identifiable elements that people almost fetishistically enjoy from the Star Wars films.

Rubio: Because George Lucas allowed it. Hands down the biggest reason. If it had always been owned by Disney, you never would have seen all those fan films. Don't believe me? Google "Disney sues kindergarten." A list will pop up before you finish typing "k-i-n." But here; I'll save you the trouble: http://www.snopes.com/disney/wdco/daycare.asp

Coate: What is the legacy of Star Wars?

Hearn: The impact on the mechanics of filmmaking and the marketing of films, as well as the themes of big budget productions, is immeasurable.

Johnson: Hope.

Lauzirika: Star Wars was and continues to be revolutionary in any number of ways. It revolutionized storytelling. It revolutionized filmmaking. It revolutionized business. It revolutionized pop culture. It has impacted religion, politics, music, design, fashion, communication and human behavior. Just look at any kid who picks up a stick and instinctively starts waving it around, making lightsaber sounds with their mouth. And yet, if you really take a step back and look at its origins, all of that innovation and inspiration came from George Lucas looking back into history, identifying common stories important to the human journey, and then turbo-charging that research with a kind of technological magic no one was prepared for. And it’s all there in the opening legend. “A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away….” — Lucas and his inner circle of collaborators were taking the myths of yesterday and fusing them with the technology of tomorrow in a way that had never been done before, all at a critical time in history when millions of people around the world were desperate for inspiration and escapism. I’ve spoken to many people who worked on the original Star Wars films and almost of all of them agree that while they knew they were making a fun popcorn movie, none of them had any idea they were helping create a global phenomenon. I think we’re again at a crossroads in history where a simple, thrilling tale of good vs. evil can inspire us and help us deal with the sobering reality unfolding around us. Yes, the Star Wars franchise is, at its foundation, simple entertainment. But for people around the world who find inspiration and endless enjoyment in it, they know it’s capable of something far more profound. It’s an ongoing multi-generational experience that brings people together and encourages them to dream. And I’m not just talking about becoming a filmmaker. I’m talking about anyone from any walk of life who looks at Luke Skywalker gazing upon that binary sunset and recognizes themselves in that moment, longing to be a better person and taking their first step into a larger world.

Rubio: There are only two people who have ever completely changed the face of cinema — Thomas Edison (what a prick) and George Lucas…. Star Wars is the cinematic equivalent of B.C.E. to A.D. The film industry, in all its facets, was forever changed from the top down. Marketing, merchandising, franchising, distribution, production, post production, the film viewing experience—all of this is because one man wanted to make the images in his head appear exactly like his vision, but on screen. So now you have digital instead of film, Adobe Premiere instead of splicers, Dolby Atmos and THX instead of optical tracks, The Avengers instead of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe…. Photoshop, Pixar, Jurassic Park, AVID, digital projection, CGI, THX, you have all this because one man had enough drive and cash to say, "We're going over here where it isn't safe, and I don't really give a f**k what you think, or if it's impossible.” Do you think a studio wants to experiment? Spend money when they don't have to? Change the status quo? That’s what George has done, and Star Wars made that possible.

Coate: Thank you, Marcus, Patrick, Charles, and Kevin, for participating and for sharing your thoughts on Star Wars on the occasion of its 40th anniversary.

----------

All figures and data included in this article pertain to the United States and Canada except where stated otherwise.

This article is based upon previously-published material. Along with new material, it includes information that appeared in the articles: “A Force to be Reckoned With” by Michael Coate (published in 2015 at TheDigitalBits.com), “Celebrating the Original ‘Star Wars’ on its 35th Anniversary” by Michael Coate (published in 2012 at CinemaTreasures.org), “Happy 30th, ‘Star Wars’!” by Michael Coate (published in 2007 at CinemaTreasures.org), “May 25, 1977: A Day Long Remembered” by Michael Coate (published in 2004 at FromScriptToDVD.com), “Dolby Jumps to Hyperspace” by Michael Coate (published in 2004 in Widescreen Review magazine), “The Original First-Week Engagements of ‘Star Wars’” by Michael Coate (published in 2003 at In70mm.com), and “Presented in 70mm” by Michael Coate and William Kallay (published in 2001 in Widescreen Review magazine),

Selected images copyright/courtesy Lucasfilm Ltd./20th Century Fox/Disney/San Francisco Chronicle

SOURCES/REFERENCES:
The primary references for this project were regional newspaper coverage and film reviews, and trade reports published in the periodicals Boxoffice, The Hollywood Reporter and Variety. Other periodicals referenced included Newsweek, Time and Widescreen Review. Film industry documents referenced included Dolby Stereo installation records, circa 1977-78. Books referenced included George Lucas’s Blockbusting: A Decade-By-Decade Survey of Timeless Movies Including Untold Secrets of their Financial and Cultural Success edited by Alex Ben Block and Lucy Autrey Wilson (2010, George Lucas Books/HarperCollins), The Hollywood Reporter Book of Box Office Hits by Susan Sackett (1996, Billboard), The Making of Star Wars by Jonathan Rinzler (2007, Ballantine/Del Rey), The Movie Business Book edited by Jason E. Squire (1983, Fireside), and Skywalking: The Life and Films of George Lucas by Dale Pollack (1983, Harmony). Websites referenced include BoxOfficeMojo, CinemaTour, CinemaTreasures, FromScriptToDVD, and In70mm.

SPECIAL THANKS:
Brad Adams, Laura Baas, Jim Barg, Mike Blakesley, Louis Bornwasser, Michelle Burkhart, Raymond Caple, John Cork, Nick DiMaggio, Bill Dorman, Laura Fazekas, Monte Fullmer, Thomas Hauerslev, Sheldon Hall, John Hazelton, Marcus Hearn, Bobby Henderson, Mike Hensley, Jeffry Johnson, Patrick Read Johnson, Bill Kretzel, Charls de Lauzirika, Ronald A. Lee, Mark Lensenmayer, Paul Linfesty, Adam Martin, Scott Neff, Jim Perry, Patricia Poland, Tom Procyk, Tim Reed, Jarrod Roll, Kevin Rubio, Melissa Scroggins, Desiree Sharland, Darryl Spicer, Allen Swords, Ricky Watson, Joel Weide, Vince Young, and a huge thank-you to all of the librarians who assisted with the research for this project.

IN MEMORIAM:
John Barry (Production Designer), 1935-1979
Graham Ashley (“Gold Five”), 1927-1979
Eddie Byrne (“General Willard”), 1911-1981
Alex McCrindle (“General Dodonna”), 1911-1990
Peter Cushing (“Grand Moff Tarkin”), 1913-1994
Jeremy Sinden (“Gold Two”), 1950-1996
Don Henderson (“General Taggi”), 1931-1997
Jack Purvis (“Chief Jawa”), 1937-1997
John Stears (Special Production & Mechanical Effects Supervisor), 1934-1999
Alec Guinness (“Ben ‘Obi-Wan’ Kenobi”), 1914-2000
Shelagh Fraser (“Aunt Beru”), 1920-2000
Peter Diamond (Stunt Coordinator), 1929-2004
William Hootkins (“Porkins”), 1948-2005
Phil Brown (“Uncle Owen”), 1916-2006
Vic Ramos (Casting), 1930-2007
Derek Ball (Production Sound), 19??-2008
Grant McCune (Chief Model Maker), 1943-2010
Ralph McQuarrie (Production Illustrator), 1929-2012
Stuart Freeborn (Make-up Supervisor), 1914-2013
Richard LeParmentier (“General Motti”), 1946-2013
Gilbert Taylor (Director of Photography), 1914-2013
Bob Minkler (Re-recording Mixer), 1937-2015
Ray West (Re-recording Mixer), 1925-2016
Drewe Hemley (“Red Leader”), 1940-2016
Kenny Baker (“R2-D2”), 1934-2016
Carrie Fisher (“Princess Leia”), 1956-2016
Richard Portman (Re-recording Mixer), 1934-2017

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: