Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » No 3D! Is it my TV or my BD player?

Author Topic: No 3D! Is it my TV or my BD player?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-23-2016 05:57 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everything was workIng great until now but my home theatre system consisting of a 48 inch Samsung 3D HDTV or my Panasonic 3D BD player is malfunctioning. Everything still work great when a play a BD disc or a DVD but when I try to play a 3D BD disc, the BD player plays a Samsung message about possible discomfort watching 3D and shuts off after a second or two. . I suspect the problem is the BD player but could it be the TV? What do you think?

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2016 07:38 PM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had lots of problems playing the latest releases "Comin' At Ya" and "The Mask" on my Panasonic 3D. Try several discs to see if it is the disc.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-23-2016 07:44 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did that Peter but the same thing keep happening with about five other different 3D discs I tried.

-Claude

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2016 08:02 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could be a firmware issue. Possibly the discs have features that your player's current firmware doesn't handle, and it's crashing. Is your player networked? I would check Panasonic's support site (if they have one) and see if an update is available for your particular model.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-23-2016 08:13 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark If it is a firmware problem, why does the player still play back regular BDs and DVD perfectly but not the 3D discs?

-Claude

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2016 08:35 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The authoring of both 2D and 3D BluRay discs, especially the interactive features, is something that tends to evolve over time, hence the need for firmware upgrades. If these are fairly recent discs that you have obtained, my guess is there have been changes in the way the content has been authored that your player's current firmware can't handle. If these are discs that you have been played before with no problem, your player most likely needs to be reset. Again, if Panasonic has a factory support site, there should be some model number specific guidance on how to do this. If your machine is not somehow networked, a firmware upgrade usually requires burning the update file to a disc and loading it into the player, or transferring it to a USB flash drive. Try the reset first, though.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-23-2016 08:51 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When doing consumer firmware upgrades, please follow the instructions to the letter from the manufacturers.

Any slight variations in the upgrade procedures can resolved into a "bricked" unit that cannot be undone.

Unfortunately, Samsung has had issues with products that needs the firmware upgrades and if not followed precisely, those become "bricked", or unusable units.

From Wiki:

quote:
The word "brick", when used in reference to consumer electronics, describes an electronic device such as a smartphone, game console, router, or tablet computer that, due to a serious misconfiguration, corrupted firmware, or a hardware problem, can no longer function, hence, is as technologically useful as a brick.
...like the PRO35's were joked on being great "boat anchors" where they were hated, but heavy enough to to the nautical task.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-23-2016 10:03 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
When doing consumer firmware upgrades, please follow the instructions to the letter from the manufacturers.
On my Panasonic and Sony players the only choices there ever are are "Update now? Y/N" and then the note not to turn it off while it's updating. (I could see where doing that might really screw things up.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: