Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » 4k to 2K lamp housing conversion?

Author Topic: 4k to 2K lamp housing conversion?
Patrick Cady
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2015 03:25 PM      Profile for Patrick Cady   Email Patrick Cady   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 35mm Sondor Nova with a clean 4K housing and several 4K xenon bulbs... but sadly only a 1400-2300 watt L.P. Associates Xenon Lamp power supply. All that is in a way perfect, because 4K in my backyard will be overkill (think about a 35' throw with a 65mm lens) so, I got an OSRAM XBO 2000W HS OFR bulb thinking there may be a way to use that bulb in the 4K housing - especially if I could adjust the mirror enough to work with the slightly shorter bulb. I am taking all safety precautions in handling the bulbs, but see now the negative end on the new bulb does not fit in the receiver in the 4 k housing ... there is a nipple shape, so the starting diameter is OK, but not long enough for good purchase, and then the diameter increases on the bulb. SO - is this all folly? Do I need to get a different 2K housing for my projector? My DIY mentality thinks about doing things like drilling out the receiver to the wider diameter needed to take the smaller bulb... but I am aware that I'm dealing with rather large amounts of electricity, xenon gas, etc. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-04-2015 06:56 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad you couldn't find a STRONG Super Lume-X for your setup, for it would be tons easier to go this route with that 2K HS bulb than trying to almost re-manufacture what you have just for that bulb and rectifier.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: