Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » 100 Years of 3-D

Author Topic: 100 Years of 3-D
Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2015 11:05 AM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
100 years ago today - on June 10, 1915 - the first documented exhibition of a 3-D film took place at the Astor Theatre in New York.

More information can be found on our home page: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2015 11:28 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you enjoy perusing technical tomes, this book, has MTYEWTK
(More Than You Ever Wanted To Know) about 3D Technology and
is mostly composed of just about every article SMP(t)E published
on the topic going all the way back to 1916.
 -
USED copies are selling on Amazon for around $250, which makes
no sense to me since you can still order copies direct from SMPTE
for around $90, which is what I paid for this one. (Plus a small fortune
for shipping, since it's a big, heavy book!) But it's worth evey penny.

Book Info (SMPTE)

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-10-2015 06:31 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The book looks interesting but I am more interested in the upcoming Blu Ray of 3D RARITIES. I just ordered a copy from Amazon and looking forward to receiving and enjoying it.

-Claude

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2015 06:27 AM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some comments on 3-D RARITIES:

"3-D Rarities is the most prized Blu-ray in my library of well over 100 3D titles. It is the absolute best 3D title currently available -- and it accomplishes that task without being Avatar."

"3-D Rarities is the demonstration disc that belongs in the collection of every aficionado of 3-D films."

"What an extensive 35-year labor of love. I appreciated how this was laid-out by the producers and the restoration work is extremely impressive. If you are even remotely keen - we give this a VERY strong recommendation!"

"Perhaps the best thing about the 3-D Rarities collection is the curatorship involved. Some of these pictures exist only with flawed elements, and the Archive experts have managed, where needed, to restore and realign each eye."

"This set offers a great mix of quality effects and archival material that cinephiles will want in their collections, presented in terrific quality with some interesting and informative extras."

"The people at 3-D Film Archive have done a magnificent job, performing sometimes miracles on the original faded, damaged and mis-aligned 3D footage."

"3-D RARITIES ranks as not just a gotta-have-it compilation for 3-D enthusiasts, but also one of the year’s top catalog releases of any kind to date."

"This is a great disc for fans of film history and it’s even better for 3D fans. If you have a 3D TV and are interested in film history, you really have to pick up 3D RARITIES."

"We feel the 3-D Rarities collection from Flicker Alley offers an enlightening mix of shorts that give us a greater perspective of 3D history. Once you experience it, you’ll agree that some of this footage deserves its own cult following."

"This is work of cinematic art, resurrected as reminder that James Cameron and his Avatar was not the original pinnacle of 3D."

Check out the complete reviews linked on our website at http://www.3dfilmarchive.com or the Amazon user reviews at http://www.amazon.com/3-D-Rarities-Blu-ray-Macdonald-Carey/dp/B00VGXABLI

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-30-2015 06:55 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received my copy of 3D RARITIES last Thursday and it is everything Robert said it would be. It was just amazing to see movie clips shot in 3D in the twenties look so good. The disc is well over two hours long and there are all kind of stuff on it but my favorites were the 3D movie trailers from the fifties. I also liked the short clip of a June Wilkerson movie in 3D. I saw Miss Wilkerson in her prime perform in person on stage and she was gorgeous! I also liked the Casper the Ghost cartoon and the 3D was incredible. The only negative thing I have to say about the disc was how boring some of the clips were. As boring as they were, the 3D is still fantastic and isn't that the sole purpose of the 3D RARITIES disc?

-Claude

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2015 01:33 PM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much, Claude!

We've just had three very successful shows at MoMA. Traditionally, New York audiences can be tough and they loved it! Many films got applause from young and old alike and word-of-mouth was excellent following each performance.

We want people around the world to see these beautifully restored treasures on the big screen. If you have a venue in your area that has 3-D DCP capability, ask them to salute the centennial of stereoscopic motion pictures and play 3-D RARITIES!

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/3-d-rarities

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: