Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Golden Age 3-D Features (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Golden Age 3-D Features
Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2015 01:46 PM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
To set the record straight, we have a new page on our website listing the 50 "Golden Age" 3-D features. Please share!

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/golden-age-3-d

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-11-2015 07:51 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting article Robert. .As far as I can see, there was a error in the article Whdn it said JIVARO never played in 3D. It indeed did! I did not see it but I vividly remember seeing the advertisements in the newspapers when the movie played in 3D at the Liberty Theatre in Honolulu. I wanted to see it but never did.

-Claude

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2015 12:10 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a lot of those 3D Films as a Kid. I can still remember watching "House of Wax" where the Guy is using the Paddle Ball.It always looked like it was out of the Screen and going to hit you in the Face; so your moving your head side to side to avoid it. I would like to see it again as an Adult, and see if I revert back to what I did as a Kid...lol ! [beer]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-12-2015 10:59 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HOUSE OF WAX was much better in it's original dual projection 3D, Steve but the 3D Blu Ray is almost as good. Do you have it?

-Claude

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2015 01:27 PM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
That's very interesting Claude, I would very much like to see the ads for JIVARO in 3-D.

The decision to send it out 2-D only was made by Paramount before it had any play-dates. If it did play Honolulu, that's quite a surprise!

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-12-2015 09:30 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JIVARO, STARRING Fernando Lamas and Rhonda Fleming was a movie I had regret not seeing it in 3D at the time it played at the Liberty. When I was younger, I used to go to the main branch of the Library of Hawaii and used to enjoy going back in time with the library's microfilm files. If I had still had the time to go back to that library and find that 3D movie ad for JIVARO, I would because the library will still have 1954 microfilm on file. Is there a chance you can get the info from Paramount, Robert?
-Claude

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2015 09:59 PM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
Paramount made the decision to release JIVARO flat only in late 1953 and it was mentioned in trade reviews that it was 2-D only. It didn't play Hawaii until the summer of 1954.

-

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-12-2015 11:41 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert,

I am very well aware of the Royal Amusement Comoany getting first run rights to Paramount Pictures starting with ELEPHANT WALK but JIVARO never played at the King, Palace and Queen Theatre or any other Royal Theatres. It played at the Liberty Theatre in 3D as I said and if you wish to debate it further, Michael Choate can tell you how good my memory is about motion picture exhibition history from the fifties to the present in Honolulu
To prove my point, Royal retained first run rights to Paramount pictures until they went out of business. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS was the only Paramount Picture not to play in a Royal Theatre because CecilI B Demille wanted Cinsolidated's Kuhio Theatre in Waikiki because it was a larger and better theatre than the houses Royal had at the time. Beside Paramount first run rights, Royal also got first run rights to all of Walt Disney movies. It also shared first run rights to United Artusts films with Consolidared Amusement.Some U.A pictures would play in Royal houses and others would play at. consolidated.

-Claude

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2015 11:51 AM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Claude. I'd love to see the ads as it appears to be the only possible worldwide 3-D booking of the film!

-

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2015 04:23 PM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
We've just updated our website to include new information on the never-completed feature, THE 3-D FOLLIES.

There's also new data on shorts and industrial films including the lost 1954 General Motors short, THIS IS PROGRESS. With 3-D footage of the XP-21 Firebird, this lost film must be found. Please share!

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/golden-age-3-d

-

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-23-2015 12:07 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, I mistook SABGAREE for JIVARRO when I insisted the later payed in 3D in Honolulu. It was SANGAREE and not JIVARRO and you were right Robert and I am sorry.

BTW, I just received an email from Amazon informing me that my copy of 3D RARITIES shipped today and I should have it in a few days. I know it will be fantastic and I cannot wait to watch it.

-Claude

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2015 03:11 PM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
TCM has posted Dick Dinman's In-Depth Salute to 3-D RARITIES:

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/movie-news.html?id=1110316&name=Dick-Dinman-s-In-Depth-Salute-to-3-D-RARITIES

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-31-2015 05:41 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you read my review of 3D RARITIES on my Facebook page, Robert?

-Claude

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2015 05:48 PM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Claude. I didn't see it.

Could you post it here, please?

Thanks!

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-31-2015 06:56 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert,

Just go to Facebook and type in my name- Claude S. Ayakawa in the upper left hand corner on the very top of the page by backtracking and removing your name and typing in my name and click 'Return" and you will find yourself on my FB page. When you are there, just scroll down until you come to my review of 3D RARITIES.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: