Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Adventures of Superman dvd set !

Author Topic: Adventures of Superman dvd set !
Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2014 04:43 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I finally broke down and bought this whole television series from 1952-58. I grew up watching this in the 50's when almost every one had B&W TV's, not knowing til years later that from the 3rd year on it was filmed in Color. The 4 sets contain 5 dics each(20 total) and only set me back just over 43 Bucks from Warner Brothers Home Video Site.

The Picture Quality has been excellent so far except they use the same opening title over & over for each episodes and it has some lines and scratches in it. The first 2 years had 26 episodes per season; however when they started filming in color the number of episodes went down to 13. Filming in Color apparently took a good chunk out of the Shows Budget. Didn't really make sense back then since so few Stations could or had the Equipment for Color Transmission. RCA didn't even started producing and selling commercial Color Sets until 1954 when they decided on the NTSC Format in late 1953.The Color Episodes perhaps came across better Quality wise using the primitive Vidicon Cameras of the Day. Lot of Early 50's TV Shows were Filmed in Color at one point in their Runs. Contrary to a lot of Young Audiences of today thinking these were colorized in the 80's and later;they were shot in Real Color Youngsters [Roll Eyes] [Confused]

Lot of the Episodes are pretty Campy now watching them as an Adult but when you were a Kid you thought this Stuff was Great. If you were a George Reeves Superman Fan in the day, I highly recommend getting this Series. If your only interested in Color Episodes than just purchase the 3rd&4th and 5th & 6th season for $10.79 each for both double packs. They are also packaged really nice and lots of extras(interviews.cereal commercials,commetary,etc.)

http://www.wbshop.com/search.do?query=adventures+of+superman

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-10-2014 05:47 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never watched any of the Superman episodes of SUPERMAN on television but I did see the George Reeve film SUPERMAN AND THE MOLE MEN in a theatre when I was very young, Steve. The complete BATMAN television series will be released on Dvd this week and I was wondering if you are planning to get them. I did see a few episodes of Batman on TV bit never cared for the programs because they were too campy for my taste.

I have THE SUPERMAN MOVIE dvd set as well as MEN OF STEEL in 3-D on blu ray and the first two movies with Christopher Reeve are the best.

-Claude

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2014 10:53 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude; "Superman and the Mole Men" is on the 1st year Disc just as it was seen in the Theater as a Feature. It is also incorporated in an episode of the 26 TV episodes of the first year. Although the first 2 years were filmed in B&W; The Picture Quality and Sound is excellent.

I think I'll hold off on buying BATMAN until the price goes down. The Superman Series when it first came out was pretty expensive, but is now very reasonable priced. When the Big Run on Batman fizzles out; I'm sure that current price on both DVD & Blu-Ray will be half or more from what it is now. I'll just wait and purchase it down the Line...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: