Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Samsungs' New "Curve" TV.....real visual benefits or another marketing dog?

Author Topic: Samsungs' New "Curve" TV.....real visual benefits or another marketing dog?
Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-11-2014 02:02 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The title really says it...What do you guys think of the new Samsung "Curve" TV? The commercials make it out to be some sort of huge innovation in home TV/Cinema viewing. [Roll Eyes]

I think it's an incredibly stupid waste of money and resources....curved screens went out of vogue what, 40+ years ago in theatres?

I just can't see any possible benefits on a screen that is under 20 feet wide. (Actually never saw any benefit on the cinema screens of the 60's and 70's either.)

What do you guys think?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-11-2014 03:07 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
I just can't see any possible benefits on a screen that is under 20 feet wide.
I agree here. I'd think that it would make the best viewing area even smaller than a flat screen, wouldn't it? Or have they figured a way to deal with that?

I just think a curved screen that is only a few feet wide would look sort of stupid on a wall. On a dedicated "home theater" installation where it fills a wall up, then maybe it'd be cool.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2014 07:49 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other than for light uniformity with a silver screen or something, the only way I can see a curved screen do anything is if it actually wraps around the audience.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2014 11:01 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the reasons CINERAMA used the Curved Screen was to simulate the way we really see in real life.Viewing a 2D or 3D Movie your still seeing it as a straight forward image or basically Tunnel Vision.Our PERIPHERAL VISION allows us to see to a certain degree whats to our left and right without moving our head. A curved screen would give us a more real simulation of how Human vision works. On a small curved screen I'm not sure you would gain the desired effect but I have never watched one so I can't say for Sure if the effect works anything close to a Cinerama type Curved Screen...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_vision

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2014 01:33 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first curved tv I saw looked pretty cool. I am not sure if there is any benefit other than the look of it.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-13-2014 02:55 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Along with this unit having to sit farther away from the wall and not flush as with the other units, especially if they are wall mounted.

You watch: this is to entice studios to make all letterboxed optical media in a "smilebox" format to go along with this screen.

If one is going to do curved, do it right like how the cinemas do it, or just keep it flat.

-Monte

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-20-2014 07:12 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You called it: Another Marketing Dog. And that's from a guy who thinks all screens should be curved...in cinemas!

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2014 09:13 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The prices I hope will go down on these new curved screens. I'll buy a 48 incher when the price is lower and watch all my old 70mm films on BR DVD. Many amusement arcades many years ago had rear screen curved games, they looked a little distorted but fun to watch. They put you in the drivers seat. I had hoped the new curved screens for the TV home would have been more curved. Can't wait to have a baby Cinerama screen in my bedroom. They are selling these fast at Best Buy in SF, many times out of stock when I go to compare sizes. The color was so crisp and sharp from such a thin screen. Like them or hate curved screens in the movie theatre or at home you will know have a choice.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: