Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Home Theater Setup (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Home Theater Setup
Ron Ellis
Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2014 11:17 PM      Profile for Ron Ellis   Email Ron Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I am a new member here who is building a Home Theater out of our old 2 car garage. We are doing a double wall with OSB, and drywall and hope to have it completed in the next couple of months.
Our HT is 19' wide x 27' long (including the area behind the screen) with a 8' ceiling height. The front wall area behind the screen is planned to have all absorption material behind it with absorption material on the side walls, and ceiling at 1st reflection points. The rear wall will be all diffusers with the speakers flush mounted to the wall.

Screen will be a AT screen 19 feet wide x 8 feet, and will be masked with a black transparent material to whatever size works out best.
Amplifiers are a Denon 4520ci, and a Yamaha P7000s. I am planning on also using 3 Topping "T" chip amps for the JBL, and EV horns. Crossovers are MiniDSP 2x4s.
Our current projector is a BenQ w1070 projector which will be replaced in the future.

I am trying build this setup to include Dolby Atmos down the road.

Questions:
1. Should the rear channels be mounted to where the tweeters are at ear level (if so then the woofers will be firing into the couch)?

2.Since Dolby Atmos uses height channels... Should I run wire for heights above each channel?

Any suggestions to this build would be appreciated.

Main speakers: JBL2360A horns with EV DH1a drivers and EV 15" woofers in custom made bass bins
Center channel is a EV 940 horn with a La Scala bass bin
Height channels are Klipsch Heresy Industrial HIPs.
Width channels Klipsch KP 3002 speakers.
Side surrounds are EV horns with Klipsch La Scala bass bins
Subs are 2 Danley DTS-10 subs (1 behind the screen and the other under the the 2nd row of seating.

I know the speakers are not all identical, but I am trying to voice them all the same with Audyssey.

|  IP: Logged

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2014 03:37 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go to www.bluray.com You will find some good info there

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-24-2014 01:24 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know that ATMOS is a 16 discrete channel sound processing requiring 16 amp channels AND needing identical speakers? Yes, you run separate wires from each ATMOS speaker to the separate terminal on the respective amplifier.

(I work in a complex where we have two large houses with DOLBY 7.1 ATMOS sound and was involved in the installation...)

Since you got a modge-podge of speakers, at least keep the Center Channel by itself different and the Left/Right Channels being indentical pairs - it won't be as noticable on the results.

Surrounds .. at least pair the ones, in manufacturer, across from each other. Surrounds should be mounted high and sloped down gradually to one third of the row and, if with horns aimed to where it points down to one third of the row.

You can voice all you can want to, but each brand has its own "temperment" and it can be noticable at the end - why the recommended pairing of speakers to reduce the obvious.

You know how to series-parallel mulitple speakers per each channel so you don't have the possibility to burn up an amplifier?

If you're going all the way with the screen setup, build you a "baffle wall" to mount the speakers in prior to putting up the screen. This definitely keeps sound from "crawling" around behind the speakers since it's reflecting off the back of the screen-and the front of the speakers should be almost touching the back side of the screen to ensure all the highs will pierce through the screen. Otherwise, you loose quite a bit of highs when the speaker is far back enough to allow the highs to reflect off the screen surface and get lost behind the screen.

Oh, since subs are omni-directional, one sub will suffice. But want to use two, one at each corner of the room in front would be better.

-good luck .. Monte

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-25-2014 02:38 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
DOLBY 7.1 ATMOS sound
Monte, are you saying that 7.1 is all you need in order to get "Atmos" branding?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-25-2014 03:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, other than your point of matching speakers, everything else you wrote above is simply incorrect.

Ron Ellis
Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2014 11:09 PM      Profile for Ron Ellis   Email Ron Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info Monte. If I can find the drivers, and horns... I would like to go all EV horns and EV DH1A drivers. As far as the amps, we are bi-amping the front 3 channels and the side channels, using a Denon 4520ci for the bass bins, and some Topping "T" chip amps for all the horns. We are keeping all the speakers in matched pairs as to brand, and model.

When you gave the info on tilting the speakers downward... Was that for Dolby Atmos height channels? What do you do for the speakers in the ceiling? Would I do a couple of ceiling speakers to line up with each row of side channel speakers?

tia,
Ron

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-26-2014 11:29 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When doing something like this, wouldn't it be a best practice to have a home run from every speaker to sound source, then use a terminal block to join speakers on the same channel. I know this might cost more in wire, but it would seem to provide more flexibility.

Ron Ellis
Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2014 12:33 AM      Profile for Ron Ellis   Email Ron Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the response, Justin. I will run all the channels (speaker wires) as a home run, but wouldn't I hook them up to their individual amps which are in turn hooked up to the minidsp (active crossovers), and then go to the processor (Denon 4520)? All the channels should be discrete I would assume with my Denon 4520, as it sends out the info for 11.2 channels. If, and when Dolby Atmos is available for home use I would assume that I would hook it up the same way as discrete channels. I understand in a large theater that I would be combining channels with a block but since my HT is only 27' long including the area behind the screen, I don't see the need. Am I wrong?

tia,
Ron

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-02-2014 02:14 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to have some fun, do your sound system the BARCO's-AURA way.

Might be more cost effective.

Ron Ellis
Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2014 05:54 PM      Profile for Ron Ellis   Email Ron Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the response Monte, I wonder what theaters have it so i can hear it? It would be nice for home use too... Will have to see if anyone picks it up and adds it to their processors. I wish I knew someone at Skywalker Ranch as they have it there, and I would love to hear it.

Ron Ellis
Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2014 02:00 AM      Profile for Ron Ellis   Email Ron Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got a 3rd JBL 2360A horn for the center channel and a EV DH1a driver so now my front 3 channels will be identical. The height channels will be Klipsch HIPs, as will the rear surrounds.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2014 02:34 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Ron.

A great source of lots of knowledge can be found at www.avsforum.com.

I really like your equipment. When all is set-up you will have a great sounding theater. The Mini-DSP is a fantastic crossover. Love the DTS-10 subs too they are brutes especially in pairs. Looks like your off to a great start. Spend lots of time and resources on makeing sure the room is properlly treated. If you have to get into contact with an acoustician as early as possible in the design process.

Its hard saying the best way to future proof your wire runs other than at least wire for 7.1 or 9.1 its hard saying what Atmos would reccomend in the home. It be a guess. You could wire-up and go with the Auro layout but the processor is expensive.

Ive done lots of trial and error with surround placement in my home theater with different positions and speakers. I got the best results using surrounds that can be mounted high on the wall and angled down, like the JBL 8340a with quick-mount that I use now. Since your already using your Klipsch speakers I would mount the side and back surround the same height as each other and a few feet above your head when seated. Like I said before go to the theater design thread at avsforum.com and theres tons of ideas.

I Wish you the best luck.

Ron Ellis
Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2014 01:18 PM      Profile for Ron Ellis   Email Ron Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jarod,
Thanks for the link... I am a member over there too, and have been doing a lot of research into soundproofing the room and also sound treatments. We have all the walls done so far except for where the garage door is (we have to wait for the carpet to be delivered first as that is the only way to get the rolls in). We are trying to future proof the speaker wiring by running all the speaker wires in the soffits (which will be essentially bass traps). We are planning on building columns that will go from the floor to bottom of the soffit to enclose the HIPs. Then we are planning on making acoustic panels frames for all the walls and will vary the treatment by location behind the fabric covered panels (diffusion/absorption). The ceiling and walls will be painted flat black hopefully in the next 2 weeks... This is so we can move all the equipment in the room and start tuning it.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2014 12:42 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic! Sounds like you've done all your homework and have everything on the right track. Keeps us updated on your progress. Theater builds using pro audio equipment are my favorite kind and IMHO the only way to get true dynamic cinema reference level playback.

Ron Ellis
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2014 12:06 AM      Profile for Ron Ellis   Email Ron Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the front stage 50% done, the walls/ceiling painted flat black upper soffits 75% framed with LEDs installed, and screen frame installed. We hope to get the room done except for the one wall and carpet by Sunday. Once the carpet is installed we will finish the area behind the stage, install the screen material, install and wire up the equipment, and tune.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: