Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Chicago (2014 blu-ray reissue) with Dolby 'Vision' and 7.1 sound

Author Topic: Chicago (2014 blu-ray reissue) with Dolby 'Vision' and 7.1 sound
Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2014 12:59 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Earlier in the week, the Oscar winning Rob Marshall adaption of the stage musical 'Chicago' was reissue by Lionsgate Home Video with a new transfer:

Dolby Vision: "Dolby Vision is Dolby’s technical specification for an image format with higher luminance, wider color gamut and higher dynamic range than what is offered today".

and Dolby TrueHD 7.1 discrete surround sound(what no 96kHz audio uprez?)

while not replete as the prior Miramax bluray edition, reviews so far have been pretty glowing of the new transfer.

|  IP: Logged

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2014 01:31 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read a little about this a while ago, Dolby is kind of dead right now, DTS Master Audio is the sound format that most blurays are released with, Atmos is okay as long as it is not paired with a dim or shoddy projector and nobody really cares about the legacy formats such Stereo or 5.1. Heck, Cineplex promotes everything in Dolby Atmos which made me question whether Dolby was intentionally instructing Cineplex to do this (I sometimes jokingly call it Ass-mos because of that).

Coming very soon will be Dolby Vision discs, players and televisions (sounds like THX). I figure Dolby is betting their future on Dolby Vision and they will do as much as they can to transition Dolby into a sound and vision company. Being an audio company alone is not enough, people need to perceive Dolby as more than just audio. I have said it in the past that for Dolby to become relevant again, they will need to the marry picture and sound elements so that the consumer views Dolby as more than just the audio. Dolby got it right by obtaining the rights to the Kodak Theatre and they have now renamed it the Dolby Theatre.

From the Dolby website
 -

Offering dramatically expanded brightness, contrast, and color gamut, Dolby® Vision delivers the most true-to-life viewing experience ever seen on a display. Only Dolby Vision can reveal onscreen the rich detail and vivid colors that we see in nature.

To me, Dolby simply copied what IMAX is doing with their DMR and digital projection in their theaters and applied it to home video.

Dolby recently hired a former Apple marketing exec and will be actively promoting on social media and if you go onto the Dolby Facebook page, Dolby is marketing Atmos in ways they have never marketing before.

If the home theatre market works for Dolby, I predict with absolute certainty that we will see Dolby Vision enter the exhibition market in the not so distant future.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2014 08:53 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The picture quality is not what I expected...I don't see much difference between this and the earlier version. Bitrate is a bit low at an average of 23,084 bps mainly due to the size of the documentary on the disk. (Movies in the 28-30 mbs range look a LOT better.) There is a 2-hour doc with new material that takes up almost 1/2 of the disk space.

Sound is another matter. The original had a great mix but this is better, in my opinion. Surrounds are much more active and enveloping. In the home environment, it sounds terrific, especially in 7.1. BDInfo does show this at 96-khz.

The new mix brings out the orchestra more...a couple of great musicians there. Lead trumpet for most of the James Bond movies, Derek Watkins, pops out a bit more, and you can reallly hear the terrific drumming of Perry Cavari, especially in Cell Block Tango.

CHICAGO is one of my top movie pleasures, and was one of the first 2 blu-ray disks I purchased. I'm glad I got the new version, especially for less than $10.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-16-2014 10:01 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Goeldner
"Dolby Vision is Dolby’s technical specification for an image format with higher luminance, wider color gamut and higher dynamic range than what is offered today".
Dolby Vision must not be offered today. If it is, then this statement is a lie.

Also why is Dolby Vision messing with the color grading and correction? I imagine a movie looks the way the filmmake... err.. moviemakers intended it to so why change it? And why would anyone ever release a movie with picture quality as crappy as the example on the left?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-16-2014 10:29 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like they remixed it too. The LPCM on the original bluray mix should sound indistinguishable to the TrueHD on the new one.

So either the original release was a remix and Dolby has preserved the original theatrical mix, or the original release was the theatrical mix and Dolby has F'd it up.

F would be proud (since he makes money from it), but remixing does NOT impress me. No good comes from it. This is no different than removing guns and replacing them with CGI walkie talkies.

Original release

New release

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-17-2014 02:02 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the new version is great if you like pinks and reds. Supposedly you need Dolby® Vision™ playback equipment and displays to properly benefit from it. Lemme just get a 4K display while I'm at it and rebuy all my movies.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2014 10:56 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do we need more BS marketing mumbo jumbo when Fox puts out brilliant discs like the Sound of Music, or Paramount's transfer of The Godfather? And many others.

A nice 4K transfer from the OCN, timed correctly is all you need. All the rest is just nonsense.

AJG

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2014 11:06 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ well speaking of musicals - the hidef bluray transfer from CBS Home Video of 'My Fair Lady' is a travesty - that is one classic musical that seriously needs revisiting.

and it would have been nice if 'Jesus Christ Superstar' and 'A Chorus Line' were 4.0 and not 2.0, missing the discrete center channel is just a bizarre decision.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2014 10:53 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Garman
Why do we need more BS marketing mumbo jumbo when Fox puts out brilliant discs like the Sound of Music, or Paramount's transfer of The Godfather? And many others.
We don't need more marketing BS, Dolby does. Most blurays are released with DTS MA these days, Dolby appears on BR every once in a while.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-18-2014 03:59 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least one person at Dolby must be completely out of his head. Are they actually trying to sell local dimming as their new proprietary standard?

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57616875-221/high-dynamic-range-dolby-vision-x-tended-dynamic-range-pro-and-beyond/

Wow, the loss of dominance in the digital cinema market must have hurt them badly. This 'Vision' stuff sounds like complete fake crap.

- Carsten

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-22-2014 11:46 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone needs to smack these marketing geniuses upside the head when they do these side-by-side "comparisons," where they take one image, turn the contrast and luminance way down so it looks like shit and then make the second image look bright and sharp and with perfect gamma. Who do they think they are kidding? Disney does this all the time in their TV ads every time they take one of their animated classics out of "The Vault" to rerelease it. They always seem to be in desperate need of being "restored." Restored my ass.

Now Dolby is doing this same crap? It's an embarrassment, especially from a company that used to have a decent level of integrity.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2014 03:06 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
It's an embarrassment, especially from a company that used to have a decent level of integrity.
The situation for Dolby is about making money and growing in the future, sound alone will not be enough for Dolby to continue the way they are currently set up. Dolby Vision has to be a hit for them.

A lot of people do not realize that Dolby (outside of cinema products) generates almost 90% of their revenue from licensing and royalties, every time a receiver or a dvd is bought, a small royalty fee is paid to Dolby if the receiver or dvd uses Dolby technology that has been licensed to the manufacturers. Same thing goes for blu-ray players etc etc. If you look carefully at what is happening in the non-cinema segment, optical discs/players/receivers and equipment are on the sales decline, streaming and downloaded will continue to eat market share, as the market share streaming/downloading increases, there will a decrease in Dolby revenues from other segments.

The PC market is also on the slide downwards, tables are replacing PCs and Dolby did have a strong presence in the PC area. I don't think Apple iPads use any Dolby technology. But iTunes does.

Dolby is doing well in the broadcasting segment, as that continues to grow for them. But for the home cinema side of the business, income from the discs/receivers licensing/revenues etc needs to be made up from somewhere else. Dolby Vision is the answer, whether or not it succeeds is anyone's guess.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-22-2014 05:38 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Terry Lynn-Stevens
If you look carefully at what is happening in the non-cinema segment, optical discs/players/receivers and equipment are on the sales decline, streaming and downloaded will continue to eat market share, as the market share streaming/downloading increases, there will a decrease in Dolby revenues from other segments.
What a crock of shit. Streaming services only help Dolby, not hurt them. What the hell other sound format besides Dolby Digital is Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus and others using? Nothing. If anything, Dolby Digital Plus is the next runner up over standard lossy Dolby Digital. DTS, as much of a fan of them as I have been, are a very distant second when it comes to streaming services. Some movies via Ultraviolet have DTS encoded audio tracks. But that's about it.

It's going to be an extremely long time before HDTV monitors, game consoles, home theater receivers and various types of set top boxes are sold without Dolby Digital encoding.

Even though DTS has been making quite a bit of effort at gaining some kind of inroad with broadcasting Dolby Digital remains the de facto standard for HDTV broadcasts. That isn't going to change anytime soon.

DTS has been dominating in the field of Blu-ray discs, and quite easily so. Some of that dominance has to do with obvious mistakes Dolby made in its software development. ALL professional level Blu-ray authoring is done on Windows-based PCs. Sonic Scenarist, Sony Blu-code and Sony Blu-print are Windows-only suites. Dolby's TrueHD software is Mac only. Giant mistake on Dolby's part. Dolby should have taken a clue from Steve Jobs' biased attitude against Blu-ray and ported their TrueHD encoding software to Windows ASAP. They didn't bother doing that. DTS Master Audio software is A LOT less expensive than Dolby's TrueHD suite. Another huge mistake on Dolby's part. DTS' Master Audio suite is a lot easier to use. Honestly, it's no surprise why DTS is the de facto surround sound format for Blu-ray. Dolby's guys just copped that typical, militant, elitist, snobbish "we're only doing Mac" bullshit attitude without realizing Blu-ray authoring is an exclusively Windows-oriented endeavor. Shame on them for that ignorance. At least DTS covered their bases by making their Master Audio studio software available for both Mac and Windows platforms.
[Roll Eyes]

quote: Terry Lynn-Stevens
The PC market is also on the slide downwards, tables are replacing PCs and Dolby did have a strong presence in the PC area. I don't think Apple iPads use any Dolby technology. But iTunes does.
???

Again, lossy Dolby Digital is the dominant format for movie and TV show audio formats. It doesn't matter if someone is watching the show on a tablet, game console or computer. Dolby Digital is the main format being used. Dolby isn't losing anything on licensing in that area. But then again, neither is DTS. The Dell XPS notebook PC I'm using has a sound processor in it that decodes all of Dolby's and DTS' audio formats. How is Dolby or DTS losing out in that?

As to Dolby Vision, I think it's a solution in search of a problem.

They make the sales pitch over high end video camera systems having color dynamic range data in RAW footage that no one sees. Unfortunately Dolby Vision isn't going to change any of that. ALL Hollywood movies shot with video cameras try as hard as they can to imitate that film look. That means doing all sorts of post processing to the video footage. It means throwing away a LOT of that native RGB gamma data and muting it within the confines of a film-like CMY subtractive color space.

Dolby Vision strikes me as something akin to the sales guy at the electronics store putting an HDTV display on vivid burn cycle to make the screen look as garish as possible to generate sales.

Current TV sets are very limited in the kind of color gamma that can be displayed. They conform to the REC 709 color space standard. Throwing Dolby Vision in there is like putting the cart ahead of the horse. We need much better HDTV sets. We need HDTV monitors that at least support the REC 2020 standard. ZERO TVs in use today do that. All Blu-ray discs currently authored do, at best, 4:2:0 color sub-sampling. No better. We need REC 2020 level TV monitors to support full 4:4:4 HD video. But that probably also means another delivery medium aside from the current version of Blu-ray. It sounds like Dolby Vision is trying to go past 4:4:4 territory into an even more garish zone. And that's not how movies are color graded and finished. It's all about mimicking the film look.

I've seen High Dynamic Range imaging mentioned as part of the Dolby Vision sales pitch. I'm not a big fan of HDR in still photography. HDR still photos have a strange, artificial appearance to them that makes me think of an image taken from the point of view from someone who was high on narcotics or hallucinogens. Human eyesight has far wider dynamic range than any general purpose camera. We see far greater detail from highlight zones to shadow areas in real time. Our eyes automatically white balance between multiple zones, such as indoor lighting and outdoor sun light at the same time. No camera made can do that. Human eyesight kicks ass. Cameras have a fucking long way to go to equal that shit. If cameras were anywhere near as good as human eye sight a movie set wouldn't need Goddamned stadium lights and other shit illuminating a movie set.

And that kind of makes me wonder why these companies selling professional camera gear are charging so Goddamned much money for their stuff. The farther I look into the capabilities of their products compared to what I can see with my own eyes the more I am turned off by them. What a bunch of assholes. They need to be doing their jobs a lot better.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2014 12:07 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh and there's also a new two and half hour documentary on the making of the film on the new bluray - which I have yet to dive into.

Having watched the new transfer I must say I thought the image regardless of what Dolby is advertising trumps the prior bluray edition - black levels are ultra dark - and the sound is much more aggressive (if you like it that way).

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2014 09:39 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind, at least for Chicago, that only the master was used for the Dolby Vision process. It would require a modification to the Blu-ray spec for Dolby Vision content to be decoded on disc as well as TVs, and so forth.

I think Dolby should focus on advertising Atmos, unless Dolby Vision isn't a crock of shit after all.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: