Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » NBCs "The Sound of Mucus" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: NBCs "The Sound of Mucus"
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-18-2013 01:18 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are spots where there were clues that they were indeed singing live (Carrie Underwood's voice gets jolted when she slips walking on the "mountain" set in the first scene singing the title song. She is also out of breath during the dance sequence up and down the stair on the main house set. BUT, then there are tell-tale signs that they WERE lipsyncing when they sang My Favorite Things in the bedroom and she is jumping like a jack rabbit up and down on the bed -- the best singer in the world can't keep a note steady with that kind of impact body movement going on -- it's just physically impossible to sustain a note without it being ruined by that action.

So my question, other than did you need a barf bag sitting thru this -- were they lipsyncing or not, or possibly lipsyncing for some songs and not others? Did they use body xmitter mics (where did they hide them) or did they just do really good boom work? There was one spot where it sounded to me like there was a boom following dialogue between the two actors and the operator wasn't quick enough to re-aim, but that was so fleeting that I wouldn't say for sure if it was a boom follow.

I would sure like to hear the sound designer give commentary or write an article to explain his techniques. Whatever they were, it result was damn good. Too bad the overall production was like Austrian water torture and with no redeeming value whatsoever other than its main claim to fame as being the first (awful) LIVE musical in 50 years, which I am sure will guarantee it will be another 50 years before anyone has the balls to try this again.

All that snarkiness aside, the singing was quite superb...it's just all the other crap.

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2013 09:19 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have DVR'd this program had I known Carrie Underwood would be jumping up and down on a bed...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-18-2013 09:53 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Supposedly they are planning to do more musicals in the next few years, thanks to the ratings on this one.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-18-2013 11:01 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with basing one's programming plans on the ratings of a one-off event is, unless they can tell how many viewers were still watching at the END of it, or who watched it but HATED it, ratings don't give the whole picture. Many who like the musical I am sure stuck it out till the end using that faulty rationale: "surely anything this awful has got to get better." Hells bells, even I watched it to the end...of course, mostly I was watching to see if I could spot microphones...and to see Carrie Underwood jumping up and down on a bed. Only that would have been a lot better if she weren't dressed like a girl just out of a nunnery hell bent on chastity.

Julie Andrews admitted she didn't watch it as she had another committment...she probably had to watch her plants grow or something.

"My god...it's full of bad actors."

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-18-2013 11:49 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a website somewhere where a few of the actors who played the Von Trapp kids in the S-O-M movie weighed in on what they thought of the presentation. Some of them were fairly generous in their comments (especially regarding her singing) but I got the impression that they were just being nice.

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2013 12:32 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During a close up shot of Carrie Underwood, I think I saw a slender flesh colored cable running up the back of her neck. Maybe they hid the mics in the actors hair?I've worked with the tiny capsules glued to the actors faces for live productions, but have never gotten results like that. Its some of the best sound I've ever heard from that type of mic placement. I also noticed there was a lot of background noise on the set during the quieter dialogue scenes.

On a related note, I recently watched the Garth Brooks live from Vegas special and the audio from his headset microphone was horrendous.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2013 03:41 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i thought the youngest actor that played Gretl had a truly hideous voice.

I happened to see Christian Borle the week after the broadcast and I told him I liked his performance as 'Max'

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-18-2013 09:25 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have done the flesh tape over wire on the face (don't know how an actor can stand that, but they do) and hidden in the hair on the forehead and I have been known to tape a capsule in a few ample bossoms. But even using the high-end, reeeeeally expensive Sennheisers, Shures, AudioTechnicas, etc., like you said, I have never gotten the kind of near-studio recording sound that this broadcast acheived (but you can't go by me -- I'll take a wire over wireless any day of the week). I didn't hear the usual cloathing crush when actors hugged or the flanging you can get when two get close and face each other --always the pitfal of hidden wireless, and yet there was lots of hugging and singing in each other's face. Anyway, in the end, I was very impressed with the sound design and nearly flawless final product.

It will be interesting to see if they try to "fix" the BRay of those slight live imperfections -- Underwood's shortness of breath during the dance sequence on the stairs. Sure, it was recorded live, but I bet they won't be able to resist the temptation to fiddle with it before it's frozen forever in time on disc.

And not for nuthin, but what a surprise to hear that incredible operatic voice coming out of Audra McDonald (Mother Abess) who I only knew from her television drama work, and then, whoa...out comes this awesome voice.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2013 04:42 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got to see the first hour of it before the OTA channel decided to go off for awhile.

Impressed with the effort, and they followed the stage play, until the signal froze.

I heard the "It's been 50 years since live TV" too. Bull. NBC did a live play in 1980 on the network called "The Oldest Living Graduate," starring Henry Fonda. I have it on U-Matic video.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-24-2013 08:25 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still you have to look at this as a bit of a developmental. The closest thing we have anymore is live sports. The entire staff is accoustomed to doing it over and over for "tape." Live there is no safety net. While there is something sloppy about live, there is, nevertheless, the "no safety net" thrill of live. Do the studio camers even have the ability to follow focus? or do they block the scene to allow no-refocusing? Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-24-2013 12:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Supposedly they are planning to do more musicals in the next few years, thanks to the ratings on this one.
That's a good reason not to watch network tee vee! What they air had better be at least as well done as a Broadway Musical but this one fell far short in the 5 min. that I could bear...

quote: Louis Bornwasser
The closest thing we have anymore is live sports.
I guess you never noticed the afternoon soaps are still all done live...

And yes, studio cameras do follow focus... Usually the camera operator does it but the new breed of Arriflex Digital cameras are turning tee vee into more like full blown cinematography.

Arri Camera's Used For Tee Vee Coverage

This basic camera body is 2X the cost of the typical Ikegami or Sony studio camera so they are slower to be adopted. They have also been used for major football game coverage.

Mark

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-24-2013 04:08 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis, I have a sneaking suspicion that they wouldn't have had any ethical qualms about using taped segments to cover really difficult transitions where timing becomes too difficult from one scene to another (costume changes, makeup changes, etc) or a musical number that simply can't be done live and sound halfway decent (the bed jumping number) and they just insert a pre-recorded segment where needed. They do that in soaps all the time -- sometimes as much as half is tape and a few scenes go out live.

So there is LIVE, then there's "live." I worked on a HBO special that was hailed as "filmed before a LIVE audience;" yes, yes it was, but all that riotous, guffawing laughter you heard never came from that audience -- it was all overdubbed. So much for Tee Vee integrity.

BTW, Happy Holiday's to everyone....and happy birthday to me tomorrow.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2013 08:03 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I guess you never noticed the afternoon soaps are still all done live...
I'm not sure what in God's name gave you that idea, unless you're making a joke. There isn't a single live afternoon drama, It's all done to tape with between a one to three week lead time.

Any television cameraperson worth their salt can follow focus, it's pretty much the cost of admission to the craft. Some Stedicam operators who do complicated moves have a focus puller along side them, either using a focus whip, or, more popularly, an RF unit that talks to a focus servo assembly mounted on the lens.

Here are the cameramen that worked on The Sound of Music Live! . I don't know all of them, but some of these guys I have known and worked with for years, among them Claus Stuhlweissenberg, Rob Bolton, Jay Kulic, Mark Whitman, Jeff Latonero. These guys are the Original Pros From Dover in East Coast television.

-

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-24-2013 08:15 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Mark, can you wean some of the sound secrets out of them -- were all the principals all body mic-ed (and were were they hiding them) and was there any lipsyncing at all, specifically in the bedroom scene with "Lonely Goater" song.

See if anyone is willing to give up any trade secrets.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2013 04:40 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I understand, everything was wig mics with Sennheiser body packs, which is the way Broadway goes. One of the issues I noticed was some multipath distortion. The show came from Grumman Studios stage #3 out on Long Island, a huge space that is a repurposed aviation hanger. Even though they used diversity antenna receivers, it’s tough to keep solid RX coverage in a space that big with large set pieces and moving performers. Additionally, there was an issue with audio due to the amount of mics open at once. Even though these are very good systems, if you have eight or nine mics open at the same time, as some scenes required, you’re going to get some noise, hiss or extraneous audio. Beth Miller, who directed, has gone on record that the requirements for audio in general were probably underestimated, particularly the orchestra mix. I haven’t heard anything about lip syncing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: