Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Pre-1977 films with aggressive surround sound: ?

Author Topic: Pre-1977 films with aggressive surround sound: ?
Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2013 09:29 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit I was 7 in 1977 and actually remembered the theatrical experience of the 70mm presentation of 'Star War'- the whoosh of the starships from the back of the theater to the front in the opening scene - since then it seemed that mixing with surround sound got more and more aggressive and more prominent.

The question here is: were there any film prior to 1977 where either the 35mm or 70mm mixes had 'loud' surround sound? The only one that pops into mind is the quad mix of 'Tommy' since it supposedly mirrors what's heard on the bluray edition of the film (which in of itself is quite impressive)

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2013 05:49 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Earthquake...1974...Sensurround.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-14-2013 07:28 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost all of the four track mag release with CinemScope films in the fifties were very impressive starting with THE ROBE. SOME OF THE FILMS I remember with great sound include THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY, GREEN MANSIONS, and many Fox and MGM musicals like GIGI, BRIGADOON, THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS and SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS.

-Claude

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2013 07:05 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original 70mm six track mix (five front/mono surround) of "2001: A Space Odyssey" (1968) was assertive and engaging when I heard it in screen #1 of the AFI Silver during their 70mm Spectacular last year. There is a high chance the print was DTS-70 with the original mix. It sounded harsher than modern films though, maybe due to the tape deterioration of the master or the Academy curve wasn't applied to the soundtrack when it was being mastered to DTS CD-ROMs. There was hissing in a few quiet moments during the film.

EDIT: The print was in Dolby SR with the original mix. Just checked on in70mm.com

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-30-2013 10:48 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even when played with the proper EQ, my (admittedly subjective) impression has been that pre-Dolby 70mm mag tracks always sound a bit 'brighter' (i.e. more detail in the HF) than SVA or digital optical. Personally I like them that way - they remind me of a vinyl LP played on silly money high end equipment rather than a CD played on a $39.99 boom box from Target.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2013 06:42 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE MUSIC MAN comes to mind as a very aggressive surround track—much of the chorus was mixed into the surround.

Without having had heard the LCRs, the "surround" tracks on the WarnerPhonic 3D titles (HOUSE OF WAX, CHARGE AT FEATHER RIVER) are particularly aggressive.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2013 03:40 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An obvious one is Fantasia- at least the 1991 laserdisc.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: