Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » SCHINDLER'S LIST is magnificent on Blu Ray (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: SCHINDLER'S LIST is magnificent on Blu Ray
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-06-2013 02:47 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SCHINDLER'S LIST was released on Blu Ray yesterday and it is magnificent! I first saw the movie at Pacific's Kahala 8 at the time it was first released and thought it was one of the best films I had seen. Steven Spielberg finally won his first directing Academy Award for the film which was long over due. In addition to the Academy winning direction and musical film score by a john Williams, was one for best cinematography by Janusz kaminski, ASC, an award he richly deserved. Universal had wanted Spielberg to photograph the movie in color but he felt only B&W would give the film a documentary look. The use of color in the beginning and the muted pink of the little girl's coat using color film stock but retaining the B&W look was very ingenious.

I still have the movie in a Laserdisc box set and the special edition DVD in the plastic box and thought the picture quality was great but the image on the new BD is much better and it is the best it ever looked and even better than the theatrical presentation.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-06-2013 03:26 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody should be surprised that the Bluray looks better than the DVD and Laserdisc. That much should go without saying.

As for looking better than the film, it would depend on what kind of print your theatre played. My understanding is that most prints were actually on color stock to avoid the need to adjust focus between the color and black-and-white footage. Not a huge problem for a changeover house, but not going to happen in a platter situation.

B/W printed on color stock isn't going to look as good as true B/W. I have run a few different prints of "Schindler's List" over the years, and my memory of the color ones is that they seemed to have a bit of a green-ish caste to them.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2013 04:05 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing this at the Avalon Theater here in DC, and I thought it was either this or 'The Passion of Christ' that had a no-popcorn sale clause in the theatrical presentation. As for this bluray release, I'm going to order the UK digibook edition (which comes out at the beginning of April) to match my digi's of 'E.T' and 'Jaws'

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-06-2013 04:45 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can see how theatres can enforce a 'no popcorn' rule in a single screen complex but how can they do it in a multi screen venue?

-Claude

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2013 05:28 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've handled a print of this...it was a bit greenish, but nothing that distracted. It looked very very good. Even the LaserDisc is stunning. I've played it back at 10 feet, scaled of course, and despite some noise, it looks very detailed. I can't wait to see this Blu-ray.

AJG

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-06-2013 05:56 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both the digibook of ET and JAWS were Best Buy exclusives and I also have them, SCHINDLER'S LIST on Blu Ray comes in a very beautiful and sturdy digipac and I love it. Because I have the special editions of the movie on both laserdisc and dvd that includes printed texts with pictures, I am very content with the beautiful blu ray packaging of SCHLINDLERS LIST.

Aaron, when you purchased my collection of DTS laserdiscs, was one of them SCHINDLER'S LIST.? After purchasing the special edition laserdisc box set (limited to ten thousand copies), I think I also bought the DTS laserdisc.

-Claude

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2013 06:03 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed it was Claude. I had the normal PCM version prior, which has the same transfer save the 5.1 track. Both are wonderful.

AJG

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-06-2013 06:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when we played that movie. Of course it was one of the most highly anticipated movies, so I was royally upset when the print received had splices sprinkled through it. It was only later that I found out that the movie used "real" B&W processing and the bits where there was color were spliced in by the labs.

I suppose when the prints were new, there was a note in the cans explaining that but by the time we got the print a couple months later, any such documentation was long gone.

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2013 06:17 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a true B&W print of SCHINDER'S LIST until it was junked... that was something to see. Really showed what you could get from 5222 and 5231 with a good photochemical finish.

Some of the trailers were also on 5302 - if you can track one down they'll give you an idea of how a proper print would have looked.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-06-2013 07:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
We had EK #8 of Schindler's List and it was black and white with color sections spliced in. It looked absolutely magnificent, and even though I haven't seen the bluray, I'm quite sure it looked better.

Please remember Claude when you make a statement like that...did you see the bluray projected onto a 60 foot screen? Even DVDs look pretty good on a small screen. [Wink]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-06-2013 08:57 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I only have a forty six inch 1080p Samsung HDTV but Peter Brake at High Def Digest gave SHINDLER'S LIST a five star review for both picture and sound using a seventy inch Sony HD screen confirming how I feel about the bd of the movie. A great deal of the credit for the new release of SCHINDLER'S LIST should go to Steven Spielberg who personally supervised the creation of the blu ray from the original 35mm negatives.

-Claude

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-06-2013 09:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not doubting that it looks good for BLURAY, but your statement just seems absolutely wrong that it looks better than the original release in theaters.

Hmmm, my math skills are rusty here, but let's see...

70 inches, measured diagonally
vs
60 feet, measured horizontally

Oh yeah, that's the same thing. Sorry for the confusion.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-06-2013 10:34 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I thought I had corrected my original post go read "---even better than the theatrical presentation in my honest opinion" but I can see, I did not and I am sorry I had implied that the picture quality of SCHINDLER'S LIST on the new blu ray disc is better than the actual film presentation. When I saw the movie at the kahala 8, it was not in the larger audiitorium but in one of the smaller house that was not set up for DTS, the only 5.1 soundtrack that the film had and the presentation was not very impressive. The screen was rather small and the sound was through a Kintek processor with one speaker in back of the screen and surround. Despite the presentation, I was however very moved by what I saw and the movie had left a lasting impression on me ever since.

-Claude

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-06-2013 11:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print we had was black and white with color segments spliced in. I don't remember any focus issues. You could see where the color segments were on the platter. Most of the print looked very light gray and the color parts were normal brown-ish.

We sold a hell of a lot of popcorn to that movie and rightfully so. Great movie to eat hot dogs in or eat a box of Sweet Tarts. Any "no popcorn" clause is just prestigious nonsense. It's a movie and the theater is a business.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-06-2013 11:51 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
The print we had was black and white with color segments spliced in. I don't remember any focus issues.
Were your splices tape or ultrasonic? Ours were taped...but the tape went over two full frames so you didn't notice them going through the projector as much onscreen. I remember wondering if all the release prints had the tape splices or if there were some archival or "priority" prints with ultrasonic splices.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: