Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Films made in more than one format.

Author Topic: Films made in more than one format.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-24-2013 05:17 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using two monitors side by side I've watched both 'Oklahoma!' in both Todd-AO and Cinemascope, and 'The Big Trail' in both Grandeur and conventional 35 mm. Are there any other films available on DVD which were made in two completely different versions?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-24-2013 05:33 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Around the World in 80 days is as well. It shares the 30 frame, 70mm format with Oklahoma. Louis

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-24-2013 06:29 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OKLAHOMA was photographed in 65mm Todd AO only at 30 fps and again in 35mm CinemaScope . AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS was photographed in 65mm Todd AO in both 30 and 24 fps.

-Claude

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2013 07:37 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 2-disc special edition DVD of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers includes both a CinemaScope and standard wide (flat) version that were actually shot and composed seperately. The Blu-Ray of The Robe includes an optional insert box that shows the majority of the scenes from the regular (seperately shot) version. Too bad that Disney only included a pan-and-scan version of Lady and the Tramp with their scope version instead of the one actually framed and composed for a standard release version (which may have never been used theatrically).

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2013 09:57 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not excactly the same thing, but- -

I remember running a Laurel & Hardy festival some years
back, and many of their early films were shot several times,
with L&H learning or reading their lines phonetically off of
cue cards and the supporting cast members being "foreigners"
who spoke 'the other' language fluently.

The camera angles,editing and even props were often different
in the 'foreign' versions. We ran some documentary which
showed several split-screen examples of this.

I just did some searching, and you can see some photos
HERE

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2013 06:20 AM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps slightly off-topic, but I keep finding myself hoping that D-Cinema's support for 30 fps might one day lead to seeing to us seeing restorations/re-issues of those original Todd-AO productions...

(OKLAHOMA's current 2K DCP is, disappointingly, the 1982 'scope re-issue, right down to the Samuel Goldwyn logo and lack of overture and intermission).

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2013 06:53 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brigadoon was another one. They shot the first scene in scope and then stopped, set up the flat lens and shot it again in flat. Two totally different takes of the same movie. I think it was Van Johnson that caught on to it, they were making two movies and getting paid for one. Would love to see the flat version.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2013 10:29 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that "On the Waterfront" was just released on Blu-Ray in three different formats.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2013 12:52 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Criterion's Explanation of Aspect Ratios for ON THE WATERFRONT

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-25-2013 02:17 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was an Academy and a 1:85 version of Touch of Evil: the Eureka BD has both.

In the late '20s there were numerous films shot in both silent and sound versions, in many cases with major differences in the script and some scenes. One of the most famous is Hitchcock's Blackmail, though annoyingly the silent version has never (to my knowledge) been published on any home video format. There was also a brief fad for multiple language versions in Europe in the early days of sound. Each scene would be shot three times on the same set, usually (though not always) with the same director, but with multiple casts of actors, e.g. for the English, French and German versions. None are known to survive in all the versions in their entirety, though.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2013 09:39 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dracula (1931) was shot in both English and Spanish on the same sets with different actors. The Spanish version is almost 20 minutes longer with extra scenes. Both versions are in the Universal Monsters Bluray boxed set.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2013 09:49 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you can get both on DVD/Blu Ray, but Angelina Jolie shot In the Land of Blood and Honey in both English and Serbian-Croatian. Each scene had two takes, one in each language.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2013 03:01 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe "The Robe" was shot flat and in scope.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2013 06:05 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was told by a veteran of the MGM sound department that the musical numbers on SEVEN BRIDES were shot with the same vocal and orchestral playback in both versions. The picture format, as mentioned above, was adjusted for the screen shape, but otherwise the performances had to be virtually identical.
The same was probably the case with BRIGADOON.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2013 10:21 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lady and the Tramp had both a Cinemascope version and a 1.33 version for theaters not yet ready for widescreen.

To my knowledge, the 1.33 version only ever appeared on a special edition LaserDisc : previous pan-n-scan masters were made from the Cinemascope version.

AJG

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: