Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Home 3D

Author Topic: Home 3D
Michael Cornish
Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2013 12:49 PM      Profile for Michael Cornish   Email Michael Cornish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are going to be showing a BD 3D film using a projector, what is needed beside a 3D BD player? Do I need to get a filter? Silver screen? [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2013 01:21 PM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on your projector and what kind of system is available for it. Usually home 3d projectors use some kind of active system, so active glasses + IR transmitter.

So first step would be to find out what projector you have, then we can see.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-02-2013 05:24 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not so simple. I'm not sure any projector is HDMI 3D capable. The "frame packed" HDMI video signal for 3D I've seen puts two images side by side on a 1080 HDTV signal. The 3D active glasses TVs split this into two images, scale them back to full screen, and then alternate them at 60hz with a glasses sync signal usually sent by an IR LED on the front of the TV. The TVs that use polarized 3D just show both images at once, alternate image lines have reversed circular polarizer built in to the screen. A 3D capable projector may only work with frame-alternate 3D that some game units and computer video cards produce. There are converter boxes that take the HDMI frame-packed signal and convert it to frame-alternate for projector presentation. They should also have a sync signal output or transmitter to make the glasses work. To do polarized 3D you need something like a Master Image system (Real D doesn't provide their systems for "home theatre" use as far as I know), and a way to generate the synchronizing signal, and a silver screen... not really an economical choice.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2013 06:06 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on if you are referring to running Bluray 3D into a DCI compliant theatre projector, or into a consumer grade front projector.

If you are referring to a consumer projector, there are a number of models out there that support HDMI 3D. All of them use active "shutter" glasses that will work with any white screen/surface.

If you are referring to a professional DCI compliant projector, others here are more qualified than I to answer your question.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-03-2013 01:47 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realize there were now HDMI 3D home theatre projectors, I looked for one not too long ago and couldn't find any. Now I can find a bunch!
If you want to show a 3D blu-ray on a cinema projector you will need a converter like the Doremi Dimension 3D, converting the HDMI format to dual SDI. There are probably other converters to do the same thing that cost less though.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2013 01:51 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Click Here to see the one I am saving my pennies for. Still a little too expensive, but I have seen this one and for home use, it is awesome.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-27-2013 01:10 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being an avid 3D fan, I too am looking for a way to do 3D in my home theatre setup. Yes, you can go the active glasses route, but that loads you with all the disadvantages of shutter glasses -- the amount of light they suck out of the picture, the weight (although I think they are getting better at that, some fairly lightweights coming on the market as well as some that are less pricy, but still, for supplying a decent gathering of friends with glasses, it's gonna cost you). But the worst thing with shutter glasses are the damn batteries, and how they can go dead in the middle of a show, especially if you have more than three or four to keep track of. For me, the only way to go is passive.

But how? Simple, get TWO decent, but fairly inexpensive 2D projectors and a converter box that can take the HDMI signal and split off Left and Right eye signals and send each to the Right and Left eye projectors. You get the advantage of double brightness which you really need for 3D, plus you can use Real D glasses that you took home with you from the theater because YOU PAID FOR THEM.

The one drawback, yes, you need a silver screen, and that will be more expensive, but in the end I think the advantages of dual projection outweigh the downsides.

I also read that someone is experimenting with LCD projectors because LCD panels have their own naturally polarizing properties (take a look at your LCD watch or the LCD display on your car radio with RealD glasses on -- one eye will not see anything but a black screen). There is a possibility of using those properties to avoid needing to put an additional polaroid filter in front of the projectors thus avoiding that extra loss of light.

It think this is a really interesting approach to Home Theatre 3D.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-28-2013 04:45 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The active shutter glasses I have are lighter and far more comfortable than any Real D glasses I've worn. They seem to suck up less light, too.

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2013 01:58 PM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, the lightest active glasses are made by Panasonic and they weigh 26 grams. I think that RealD glasses are 21 grams, so a bit lighter still. (That’s not to say that they are necessarily more comfortable.)

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2013 01:23 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a cinema Panastereo 3d shutter glass system at home, that Ray made me up a special lead to work from (as it is a DCI system) and 1x Optoma 3d converter box. I have several 720p 3D ready projectors that work with this rig.
The Panastereo glasses are quite light efficient especially compared to using polarizes on both the projectors and your glasses. The best bit is that no silver screen is required. My Panastereo rig is however currently rented to a commercial cinema. So I am currently using some very expensive Optoma shutter glasses which too work very well directly with the 3d link projectors. A warning however that the cheap 3d shutter glasses on ebay offer very poor picture quality and contrast.

Another white screen option is using Dolby 3D glasses. You need 2 x bright hd (720 or 1080p) projectors (3000 lumen) , 2 x optoma 3d adaptor boxes, several Dolby glasses. Start by take one pair of glasses apart for use as the projector filters.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-17-2013 07:13 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Cameron Glendinning
Another white screen option is using Dolby 3D glasses. You need 2 x bright hd (720 or 1080p) projectors (3000 lumen) , 2 x optoma 3d adaptor boxes, several Dolby glasses. Start by take one pair of glasses apart for use as the projector filters.
Did you try this yourself? I guess if this works and how easy it will be is dependent on your actual choice of projector, because the filter should be installed in the light path. Also, I don't know if the filters in your glasses are sufficient heat resistant, even in a decent "home projector", it can become quite hot in there. The real filters in your projector spin constantly, even the "non-split" versions.

Frank B. McLaughlin
Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2013 07:31 AM      Profile for Frank B. McLaughlin   Author's Homepage   Email Frank B. McLaughlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In setting up a custom system note that a majority of the devices now employ a HDMI 1.4 connection. In order to view 3D this connection must be used and both devices (server/viewer) must be compliant and "talk" to each other.

Joju Zacharias
Film Handler

From: Changanacherry-city,Kottayam-district, Kerala-state, India

- posted 02-18-2013 10:21 AM      Profile for Joju Zacharias   Email Joju Zacharias   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I used a dual projection setup in my college for a 3d show.

I used a desktop computer with Nvidia graphics card(vga+DVI+HDMI o/p), 2 DLP projectors(XGA) and Real-D glasses. I used the filter from the glasses to use in front of the projector, you just have to be careful enough to place it as far away from the projector lens(still passing the image through it) or it will burn out in 2 minutes.

For making a silver screen I painted a normal screen with silver paint($4) and it worked very well.

I used a side by side video, and stereoscopic player.

you can use 2 O/P of graphics card for projectors and one for a control monitor.

If you want to make a professional set up for a cheap cost use HD projectors and good graphics card(It will still be not good as a DCI system but costs 1/10 of it.)

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2013 11:28 AM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what I am using and I am extremely satisfied with this setup.

Projector: Optima HD 33 Has 1.4 hdmi so you can access 3d programming from DirecTV. (Really enjoyed watching the BCS Championship game in 3d) Currently $1348 from Amazon
Player: PS3
Screen: Elite Screens ER135WH1 Less than $400.
3d glasses: Optoma Technology BG-3DRFGLASSES 3D RF Rechargeable Glasses (this is the old model) new model BG-ZF2100GLS Over $70.

My room size is approx. 20' by 30'. I am currently sitting about 9' away. Have set for 2 rows of couches with a planned pool table/card table in the back.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: