Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Star Wars Special Edition Trilogy (1997)

Author Topic: Star Wars Special Edition Trilogy (1997)
Shawn Arndt
Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2012 07:57 PM      Profile for Shawn Arndt   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Arndt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This might be a stupid question but I'll take the chance.

Is there any way to determine the feature time-code of these from the DTS audio alone?

I'm trying to archive what information I can about these releases to add to a database...especially with the new news.

Cheers

|  IP: Logged

Shawn Arndt
Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2012 11:17 PM      Profile for Shawn Arndt   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Arndt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My question above is not accurate, my apologies. After reading up a bit more I would like to know...

Is there any place that I could find information relating to the frame count of each reel of these films when they were first released? (i.e. without trailers and/or damage splices of any kind)

Shawn

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-06-2012 12:33 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shawn:

I don't believe you'll ever get that information for a few reasons:

LucasFilm (and Fox's) reluctance to release the prints even now for exhibiton;

Only the labs (IIRC Deluxe) would have had that information and I doubt they have preserved that info;

Maybe if you can contact the film's editors they would know.

Exact frame counts will basically be impossible to find.

Or, if you are REALLY lucky, you find private collectors with undamaged prints of the original editions...and hope they don't have blasters (oops, I meant hope they have footage counters).

As for DTS (now DataSat) the original films predated their system, so if they have the frame info it would only be for the SE versions.

Realistically, you would be better off finding the exact running times then doing the math to get the frame counts (remember 24 frames per second.)

On a side note, when I was a projectionist for the Air Force our Base Theatre got an absolutely horrible print of "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" (original first-run)..this thing looked (and sounded) like someone dumped sand on the entire print and drove over it repeatedly. (Severe base AND emulsion side scratches.) I called the depot and requested a new print immediately, and was basically told to stuff it. I then threatened that if they did not send a replacement they were gonna get this one mailed back one frame at a time. [Big Grin]

The next morning I had a nice brand new print waiting at the door.

I had figured out the math and IIRC it was gonna take over 48 years (!) for them to get that print back if sent one frame at a time. [Eek!]

Shawn Arndt
Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2012 07:50 AM      Profile for Shawn Arndt   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Arndt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the answer Tony. It IS appreciated greatly.

So, do we have any collectors here that could help out with this query?

I would be thankful for any assistance.

[Smile]

Shawn Arndt
Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2012 10:07 AM      Profile for Shawn Arndt   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Arndt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happy even if all I got was the frame numbers at the reel changes for all 3 films...it would be immensely helpful.

[Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: