Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » SAMSARA Coming December 26th on Blu Ray

Author Topic: SAMSARA Coming December 26th on Blu Ray
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-08-2012 09:41 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Arrow Films and Spirit Entertainment announced they will be releasing SAMSARA on Blu Ray on December 26. As most of you know, each frame of the 65mm negative of the movie was scanned at 8k and downsized to 4k for theatrical exhibition in place of 70mm prints. The Blu ray will be from the the 4k theatrical scan of the movie and like BARAKA , it is expected to be awesome.. I do not know what "Double Play" is but that is the way it wili be released on the BD.

Regarding the theatrical showing of SAMSARA, I find it rather odd Ron Fricke and his crew would go to so much trouble to photograph the movie on 65mm film all over the world and spend years doing it and not give the movie a wide release. So far, the film has been shown at various major film festivals and several major cities in the United States and elsewhere. I am hoping it will eventually play in Honolulu at one of Regal' s theatres with 4k projection. If it does play here, I definitely see it.
-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2012 09:57 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Double play is bluray + DVD
Triple play is bluray + DVD + digital copy

I hope the bluray has 96kHz like the Chronos and Baraka discs do.

the Washington DC engagement opens next Friday at Landmark E Street on their new Barco 4K DLP system

a week later the following Friday, it opens over at the new Angelika Mosaic theater in Merrifield Virginia, just south of Tysons Corner. (again, on a Barco 4K system and 7.1 sound)

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-08-2012 10:13 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never seen the term "Double Play " used to describe how a movie is released on video. When a movie is announced for HV release it would say either. "Blu-Ray. - DVD" or "Blu-Ray - DVD - Digital Copy". Never Double Play"

-Claude

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-08-2012 10:52 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They should sell the Blu-ray and DVD separately. I really don't like it when they include the DVD as I'm paying for something I will never use. If I am buying a Blu-ray why the hell would I want the DVD? Maybe I'll just pirate the movie instead.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-11-2012 04:30 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
I find it rather odd Ron Fricke and his crew would go to so much trouble to photograph the movie on 65mm film all over the world and spend years doing it and not give the movie a wide release.
He may have wanted to give the movie a wide release but was not able to. From all I've heard about the film it's a very beautiful one and I'm looking forward to being able to see it in a decent theatre with good projection; but it wouldn't last one night in your average suburban fleapit without losing a heck of a lot of money. So I'm guessing that the distributor will concentrate on the venues that will show it right and reach out to the sort of audience that'll appreciate it - the Egyptian, Seattle, Bradford Pictureville, etc.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2012 04:50 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre has managed to book it for a Nov 2 premier in London Ontario in 35mm! I hope its a great quality new print. We did fantastic with Baraka in the 90s which was my pitch to the distributor while booking Samsara.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2012 01:42 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
They should sell the Blu-ray and DVD separately. I really don't like it when they include the DVD as I'm paying for something I will never use. If I am buying a Blu-ray why the hell would I want the DVD? Maybe I'll just pirate the movie instead.
And yet Joe my wife loves when they bundle them up that way. My advice to you is not to buy the bundled just the individual Bluray which sometimes is so close to the bundle it is not funny.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-16-2012 03:10 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've bought a couple of these bundles (DVD plus BD in the same package) in the last year or two, and in one case (The Conspirator), one in which the DVD and BD were on opposite sides of the same physical disc. My guess is that the publisher is just trying to save distribution costs. Given that for a mainstream release that's going to sell at least several thousand unit, the cost of pressing the actual disc is bugger all as a proportion of the total spend, why go to the expense of creating and shipping two separate inventories when, as long as you don't charge much more for the bundle than you would have done for the two separately, DVD users have the attraction of knowing that they'll be able to watch the same title on BD at no extra cost if they ever buy a player, and BD owners will be able to lend the title to friends or relatives who are still on DVD? As I say, as long as you don't push the retail price too far, you've got a far more attractive product for the end user and cost savings in production and distribution.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-16-2012 05:12 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron, there is rarely a choice to buy JUST the Blu-ray. They should just stop making the DVDs altogether. DVDs are primitive technology that only dusty people even use any more. It is unacceptable and should be made illegal, just like LaserDiscs.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2012 03:53 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess where we buy is different from where you buy because we see them bundled as just the movie and then a version with digital and DVD included. But I'm just saying that is here in little ole chickasha ok. And just think of it until a few years ago there was no bluray! I think of the rapid changes and wonder if it is plot from the big corporations to force us to spend money upgrading perfectly good equipment to keep up with their ever changing technology. A plot remove what little money I have and engorge their every fattening pocket books. No that sounds like something Joe would say.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2012 02:39 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as for the movie, wow, very impressive, although I thought 'Baraka' is edited a bit tighter (it looked fantastic at the Angelika Mosaic theater)

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 10-06-2012 04:01 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot wait until next weekend when Reading International's Consolidated Theatres in Honolulu will start showing SAMSARA in 4k digital with 7.1 sound at the Victoria Ward in their Titan XC house.

-Claude

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-09-2012 10:58 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen it yet Claude?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: