Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Lawrence of Arabia (bluray) November 13, 2012

Author Topic: Lawrence of Arabia (bluray) November 13, 2012
Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2012 12:05 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blu-ray release street November 13th (the UK edition supposedly comes out Sept 10th), a theatrical run before happens on October 4th

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has just issued a press release announcing that the 1962 David Lean directed film “Lawrence of Arabia” is coming to Blu-ray Disc in a 3-disc collectible box set on November 13th. The film starred Peter O’Toole, Alec Guinness, Anthony Quinn, Jack Hawkins, Omar Sharif, Jose Ferrer, Anthony Quayle, Claude Rains and Arthur Kennedy. The film has received a 4K restoration and will be presented in the Director’s Cut. It also appears that a single-disc version will be released as it’s listed on Sony’s press site. Tech specs for the release include full 1080p Hi-Def video in the 2.20:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound. Both versions will come with an UltraViolet digital copy of the film. The main difference between the 3-disc box set and the single-disc version is that only one of the bonus materials will be included on the single-disc version; a picture-in-graphics track. It seems the second disc (not specified if it will be a DVD or Blu-ray) will contain a majority of the bonus material on that 3-disc set and the third will possibly be a DVD of the film in standard definition. A detailed list of the bonus materials set to be included on the 3-disc box set are listed below.

Extras:

Secrets of Arabia: A Picture-in-Graphics Track [ Blu-ray EXCLUSIVE]
Peter O’Toole Revisits “Lawrence of Arabia” [ Blu-ray EXCLUSIVE]
Making of Lawrence of Arabia
A Conversation with Steven Speilberg
Maan, Jordan: The Camels Are Cast (1 of 4 Original Featurettes)
Advertising Campaigns
Original Newsreel Footage of the New York Premiere
Vintage Featurettes In Search of Lawrence
Vintage Featurettes Romance of Arabia (Newly Restored)

Bill Hunt from digitalbits.com:

"Now back to Lawrence of Arabia. Last night I had the good fortune (along with Matt Rowe) to take in the official U.S. premiere of the new 4K restoration of the film at the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills, which is arguably the best screening venue in all of Southern California. Now I've seen this film many times, but never have I enjoyed it this much, not just because of the impressive technical quality of the presentation but because the sell-out audience was just so into the film. Obviously, this was a largely industry crowd mixed with serious Lawrence fans, all of whom knew the film's various ins and outs well. They reacted to every little moment of humor, every shift of mood and tone. As a result I think I got more out of this viewing than I ever have before.

As I mentioned, the quality of the presentation was first rate. Sony's EVP of Asset Management, Film Restoration and Digital Management, Grover Crisp, introduced the screening and discussed the restoration effort itself. Work began in 2009 with an 8K scan of the original 65mm camera negative - itself the subject of the excellent 1988 physical restoration by Robert Harris in collaboration with director David Lean. The goal this time around was to build on that work. But the fact was, when Sony went back and looked at the negative, they noticed serious deterioration. Strange vertical bands had appeared throughout the film that looked like faded sections of the emulsion. These turned out not to be actual fading or a photochemical issue, but rather bands of literally hundreds of tiny cracks in the negative. So for those of you who've wondered why it took so long to bring this film to Blu-ray, now you know. Grover actually showed a short restoration demo reel before the start of the film, and the before and after contrast was so striking that the audience burst into applause. The result of this new restoration effort is truly impressive. There are still minor issues in a few places - notably a couple instances of missing frames that have been there on all the previous DVD releases. But I'll tell you... Robert actually offered me the chance to screen the film in 70mm a few years back, and the new 4K digital presentation compares wonderfully to that experience. The color and detail is just extraordinary. Subtle textures in the rocky terrain, the fine detail of blowing sand - all the detail in the original negative is visible in the new digital master. The film is actually going to start screening around the country in 4K on October 4th, and I strongly encourage you all to try and experience it that way. In any case, you're very much in for a treat when the film finally arrives on Blu-ray on November 13th. It can truly be said that most of you have never seen the film like this before - in this level of A/V quality. Trust me... it's going to be an absolute revelation for you."

|  IP: Logged

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2012 04:46 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe some of you guys can convince me I am wrong. I don't like LOA. I TRIED to watch it several times and every time I got bored and lost interest. That's not common for me. I typically don't mind movies that move at a slower pace but I just can't seem to get past the first half hour or so.

Feel free to explain to me what the hell I am missing. I feel like I'm supposed to like this movie. Thanks.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-27-2012 05:15 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I first saw LAWRENCE OF ARABIA at the Kuhio Theatre on the same day I saw President Kennedy's motorcade go through the streets of downtown Honolulu when he was here for the annual national mayors conference in June of 1963 . Although the Kuhio was equipped for 70mm, the showing was in 35mm with mono sound. Bummers! I enjoyed the movie the first time I saw it but like Joe, I found repeated viewing very boring. Despite the way I feel about the movie, I have seen the film several times in 70mm during it's many revival showings because I love Freddy Young's cinematography of LOA. The first time was in San francisco at the Northpoint Theatre finally in 70mm after the film was restored by Robert Harris and James Painten. . I also saw it again twice in Honolulu in the large film format when it played at the Kapiolani and the Cinerama.

-Claude

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2012 06:27 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, dear LAWRENCE. We showed a 70mm print of the 1988 restoration for many years almost exclusively in Australia before Columbia shipped it over to a South Korean film festival for a limited engagement.

Apparently the organisers thought that "limited engagement" meant "feel free to laser-subtitle the print".

Since then we've only shown it two or three times from the not-very-good-at-all 35mm blow-down.

Happily we've booked a two-week engagement of the 4K restoration, and pipping others to the post at that that: we start on September 23. Given how the SOUND OF MUSIC restoration looked, I can't wait.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-28-2012 12:57 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ran the 1988 restoration on 35mm film -- it looked great EXCEPT for reel 7 (I think it was reel 7) which was timed so badly that it look like you were wearing sun glasses -- it was WAY dark. In fact, the audience was so unnerved by it that at one point where he reaches for the pull cord on the light switch, one guy yelled out, "No, no, don't turn off the light!" Of coures the light goes out and for the rest of the reel it was like you had gone blind.

I frantically called Columbia and told them we needed a replacement reel IMMEDIATELY -- we were only running it for a weekend and expected a big crowd on Saturday. They were were good about it and sent a complete second print by messenger. Great.

The very same day, we get a call that the Queen was visiting the US and was staying in Versailles KY on a horse farm or something and she wanted to see the film (I kid you not). The local theatre was to run it for her and her party. They were going to send a messenger to pick one of our prints up to ship to the Kentucky theatre. The Columbia booker didn't say which print to give the messenger.

Which one do you think I sent to the Queen? Let me put it this way -- I PAID for the engagement; I had a CONTRACT before the Queen even got on her plane. My audience was PAYING for their ticekts. The Queen, well, unfortunately she flew in AFTER my booking, and hey, she was getting a freebee. It sure was clear in my mind who should get the dark reel 7...and she did...heh heh.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2012 02:23 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOA hum there is a composer that puts my feelings in a nutshell about the movie. YANNI well spelled wrong but pronounced the same and that is LOA to me sleep fest!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-30-2012 06:10 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron,

Each to his own but Lawrence was/is an amazing movie and even more so amazing in 7Omm. I'm hoping the 8K scan of the 65mm looks wonderful. Pretty sure it will. Hopefully they have taken in the absolute shitfest that was the My Fair Lady Blu Ray debacle and make it wonderful.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2012 11:48 AM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The photography is stunning and early when I saw the story was compelling but after 2 viewings when I was younger I just can't make it through it. Not many I feel that way about but this one I just have a hard time.

Same with Gone With the Wind. I loved it for years now I can't make it threw to "I don't know nutting about birthing no babies" much less to "Frankly Scarlet I don't give a Damn!"

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-30-2012 04:25 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No question about the photography -- stunning. I also like the music a lot.

I've run LOA in 35mm a few times and I've seen it in 70mm at least once (start to finish) and a few times in partial form (sometimes just part one).

I first saw it on laserdisc and really only liked the first act back then. It was only through seeing/showing it theatrically that I grew to appreciate it as a whole. To be honest, I think what I enjoy MOST about showing it is that the fans are always so enthusiastic about seeing it in a cinema. I prefer running it with the overture and intermission intact.

LOA was the first (public) screening at the IU Cinema (35mm) and it's coming back this fall as a DCP.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2012 04:29 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"My mammy says if you put a knife under the bed it cuts the pain in half." The first half of GWTW is about all I can take. The second half -- [sleep]

I ran LoA many times. Always found it to be a great film.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2012 04:51 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was younger I would go to the art houses in Denver and watch Casablanca, The Big Sleep, Farewell my Sweet, Gone with the Wind, and a host of others. "Watson the Needle" (restored to the original Hound of the Baskerville's way back when). I loved it GWTW then. If I need a good nap I will put it on now. Running a theater in Denver I always got in free to most of the places in town. I never asked at the retro houses though. Just paid the price and watched great classics.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: