Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Safe way to clean BDs & DVDs?

Author Topic: Safe way to clean BDs & DVDs?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-19-2012 03:38 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just received a DVD box set of a Korean drama series that I had purchased online and had discovered I was sent a copy that was not new but used. I only discovered it was used when I tried to play the first disc and it would not play after the first five minutes. When I checked the disc, I found it was filthy with smudges all over the surface. I took it into the kitchen and washed it with running water and dried it with soft tissue. After I had removed almost all of the smudge from the disc, I was able to play it without any problem. When I had discovered how dirty the first disc was, I checked the six others in the set and they too had smudges but no way as bad as the first disc. I also cleaned them in the same manner and I am sure I will also have no problem playing them.

Realizing I was sent a used copy, I contacted the vendor and they promptly replied with an apology and assured me that if I have problem playing the disc or want a new copy they will be happy to replace it. I believed them and appreciated their concern.

As long as the disc plays without any problem, I will be keeping the set because returning it will such a hassle because the vendor is based in Hong Kong.

I have removed most of the smudge from my Korean DVDs but I can still see traces and would like to remove them and make the discs look new again. Does anyone have any suggestions on the safest way to clean video discs such as DVds and BDs?

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2012 05:35 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just give them a squeeze of Windex and a wipe with a terry towel or a plush microfiber cloth. Works just fine, but wipe across the grooves, not around the disc with them. Novus Plastic Cleaner works well too.

I wouldn't use tap water unless you dry it thoroughly, else you leave limescale or other deposits on the disc.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2012 05:44 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use alcohol. It cleans well and dries quickly. The alcohol is put on a paper towel.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-26-2012 10:17 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful with paper products. When you are rubbing paper across the delicate, scratch-prone disc surface, remember that paper is made from WOOD.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2012 03:26 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't use ammonia based cleaners. I would be really afraid of destroying the coating over the DVD. Does Windex really work?

Shawn Arndt
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2012 09:26 AM      Profile for Shawn Arndt   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Arndt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second the Novus Plastic Cleaner. I use this as I still have a Laserdisc collection and it works wonders on such issues. A microfiber cloth IS preferrable as it will minimize scratches from cleaning and absorb excess liquid quickly.

Keith Paynter
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2012 09:38 AM      Profile for Keith Paynter   Email Keith Paynter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Laserdiscs I used Armor All car wax- spread on, and let it dry...worked great.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-10-2012 10:12 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rosco lens cleaning fluid with lens paper has worked well for me.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: