Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Adding Chapter cues in authoring CDs

Author Topic: Adding Chapter cues in authoring CDs
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-12-2012 12:27 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am transfereing a lot of music that was recorded in large .wav files -- between 50 and 60 min each -- to CDs. Thing is. at the moment I only have access to simple editing and burning programs -- Roxio and I even started of just using Win Media Player to burn CDs. I downloaded NCH Wave Editor as well. None of them seem to have a way of adding chapter or cut cues on the fly while making the burn. Without being able to place cue marks into the CD burn, I wind up with one continuous chapter on the CD with no way of manuvering around the music other than scanning.

Is there burning software out there which allows you to add cut cues at random as you are buring a disc? Or would I have to go thru the trouble of editing the big file down to multiple files where I want the breaks to occur on the CD? That would be one pile of work I wasn't counting on.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-12-2012 12:37 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nero Express Essentials lets you ingest a .WAV file and then 'split tracks' at a given point, to end the current track and start a new one at the cut point. Be careful to get rid of the default setting that puts 2 seconds of audio "black" at the start of each track, though, if you want the audio stream to be continuous.

Disclaimer - I have version 8. Don't know for sure that the versions now on sale (10 and up) also have this feature, but I can't imagine why they'd have taken it away.

There are other options, but I don't know of any free ones and Nero Essentials is the cheapest I know of. Another feature I like is the ability to add CD-Text fields to individual tracks and the overall disc - nice if you're planning to play the CD on a car stereo or other system that displays the track title from CD-Text.

Audacity will also split a long wave file into separate ones by detecting silences of a given duration as track breaks, but it won't burn the CD as well. If you're capturing future stuff (e.g. LPs or tapes), it might be worth thinking about; though I've never used this feature and so can't say how reliable it is. I would guess that it's probably OK for rock and pop, but less so for classical and spoken word, which have intentional short periods of silence (or near-silence) in the middle of what you would want to be a continuous track.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2012 03:18 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This Software will do what you want. I used an older version a long time ago and it was quite impressive; even to the point of cleaning up noisy recordings. They offer a free 7 day trial.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-13-2012 10:00 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perfect -- exactly what I need.

Thank you guys.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: