Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » DTS & Adobe ink deal for Creative Suite 6

Author Topic: DTS & Adobe ink deal for Creative Suite 6
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-24-2012 11:43 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of surprised this announcement and some other DTS related news (like their acquisition of SRS Labs) wasn't posted in the Industry News forum.

quote: DTS Press Release

DTS ALLIANCE WITH ADOBE BRINGS DTS HIGH-DEFINITION AUDIO TO ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE USERS
DTS and Adobe Address Rising Demand Among Professionals for High-Definition Audio Authoring Tools

NAB (Booth # SU7619), LAS VEGAS (April 16, 2012) – DTS, Inc. (Nasdaq: DTSI), a leader in high-definition audio technology, today announced Adobe Systems Incorporated has integrated DTS audio technology to enhance the upcoming release of Adobe® Encore® CS6 software, the latest 64-bit version of the disc authoring software tool designed for video professionals, which is included with Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 and Adobe CS6 Production Premium. The software's integration of DTS-HD Master Audio™, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio™ and DTS Digital Surround™ technologies enables users to publish Blu-ray Disc ™ and DVD disc images with up to 5.1 channels of surround sound for an immersive audio experience and condensed audio file size, which increases multi-device compatibility.

"We believe our customers should have access to content creation tools of the highest quality, so we extended our collaboration with DTS to offer the most comprehensive authoring toolset by including the industry's Blu-ray Disc™ audio technology standard," said Bill Roberts, director of product management, digital video and audio at Adobe. "We've seen an increased demand for DTS support and functionality from our professional users and are committed to meeting that need across our product lines to ensure our customers can leverage the best possible audio solution available."

The upcoming release of Adobe Encore CS6 will be optimized for DTS' core audio technologies, for an immersive sound that brings high-definition (HD) visuals to life and enhances the movie-watching experience on any platform.

DTS-HD Master Audio, the premium audio format, utilizes variable bit-rate technology to deliver the ultimate audio quality, while conserving file size and bandwidth. The result is an uncompromised audio experience that accurately represents the master recording.

DTS-HD High Resolution Audio delivers a high-caliber audio experience as an alternative to DTS-HD Master Audio. Most notably, this technology offers professionals a solution for projects that do not have space for multiple variable bit-rate streams.

DTS Digital Surround technology allows up to 5.1 channels of output and is backwards compatible ensuring playback on existing devices.

Ronny Katz, director of digital media at DTS, Inc., added, "Adobe is able to satisfy a growing demand for HD audio authoring by including DTS audio solutions into its upcoming release of Adobe Encore CS6, enabling professionals to enhance HD video with rich, vivid surround sound. "

At NAB 2012, Adobe is revealing the Creative Suite 6 video tools, which are expected to ship in the first half of 2012. The upcoming release of Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 combines faster performance with a sleek, customizable user interface and powerful trimming tools that let editors work the way they want to. Learn more about the top new features in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 and the other video tools of the upcoming Creative Suite 6 here: http://success.adobe.com/en/na/programs/events/1203_16108_nab.html

For more information, visit DTS at NAB 2012 booth SU7619, or online at DTS. Media interested in speaking with a DTS spokesperson please contact DTS@formulapr.com. Connect with DTS on Facebook, or on Twitter (@DTS_Inc.).
About DTS, Inc.
DTS, Inc. (Nasdaq: DTSI) is dedicated to making digital entertainment exciting, engaging and effortless by providing state-of-the-art audio technology to hundreds of millions of DTS-licensed consumer electronics products worldwide. From a renowned legacy as a pioneer in multi-channel audio, DTS became a mandatory audio format in the Blu-ray Disc™ standard and is now increasingly deployed in enabling digital delivery of movies and other forms of digital entertainment on a growing array of network-connected consumer devices. DTS technology is in home theaters, car audio systems, PCs, game consoles, DVD players, televisions, digital media players, set-top boxes, smart phones, surround music software and every device capable of playing Blu-ray™ discs. Founded in 1993, DTS' corporate headquarters are located in Calabasas, California with its licensing operations headquartered in Limerick, Ireland. DTS also has offices in Northern California, Washington, China, France, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, and the United Kingdom. For further information, please visit www.dts.com. DTS, the Symbol, and DTS and the Symbol together, are registered trademarks of DTS, Inc. All other trademarks are the properties of their respective owners. © 2012 DTS, Inc. All rights reserved.

This is a pretty interesting announcement. But I also have to wonder about a few things. How will the DTS & DTS-HD encoding capability in Encore CS6 compare in terms of features to DTS' own standalone audio encoding applications? Will some of the DTS encoding capability be available from within Audition CS6 -like if I want to create a DTS music CD? It would be nice to create some audio-only 5.1 files that can be played on devices like my Playstation 3.

Adobe officially announced Creative Suite 6 over this past weekend. Photoshop is boasting a pretty major upgrade. Illustrator has been recompiled in 64-bit code. After Effects has improved features in 3D, motion tracking and warp stabilization. Overall I'm looking forward to the upgrade.

OTOH, Adobe is starting to flex its muscles on nearly having a monopoly in mainstream graphics software. They're trying to push users into their new "Creative Cloud" service, which basically gets you on the hook with a monthly fee as long as you're using any of their stuff. If you prefer packaged software (a "perpetual license") you're still going to be stuck having to buy every upgrade if you want to maintain upgrade pricing eligibility. Adobe is getting rid of a staggered pricing scheme that allows users to skip one or two CS product release generations. In the future if you skip a version you'll have to pay full price for the following upgrade you do want to buy.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2012 11:17 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The more readily available DTS-HD Master Audio is to content makers, the better: it's a great codec for lossless but also for backwards compatibility. The only thing that does stink is that CP650's don't like DTS. I can't imagine why.

AJG

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-27-2012 10:19 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Dolby CP650 doesn't really need to process the home version of DTS. Although, I imagine there is a way to feed it an already converted, decompressed 5.1 DTS track from DVD or Blu-ray. You just need the player to decode it and output it in uncompressed form. Then there's the matter of getting the signal across cables into the CP650's auxiliary input.

I wonder if/how a newer Dolby CP750 would handle a DTS signal from DVD or Blu-ray.

At any rate, I think one obvious reason DTS-HD Master Audio has become the dominant audio format on Blu-ray is the Windows-only nature of professional Blu-ray authoring. DTS' encoding software is available for both Mac and Windows, whereas Dolby's encoding software is Mac-only.

All of the expensive, enterprise level authoring systems used to create retail Blu-ray discs are Windows-based. Sony Blu-print & Blu-code and Sonic Scenarist are the most popular systems used by movie studios to create retail Blu-ray discs. The Mac platform might have at least had a version of Sonic Scenarist if the Mac OS could support Blu-ray movie disc playback. But no, Steve Jobs got his panties in a twist about Blu-ray, calling it a "big bag of hurt" and wanting us to watch movies via iTunes instead. Blah. Not everyone is into doing everything via the damned cloud.

In a way, I can understand Dolby's Mac-only approach to their encoding software. A lot of pro audio work is done using Mac hardware. However, even Avid makes Pro Tools for both Mac and Windows platforms. I think only the highest end "HDX" Pro Tools stuff is Mac only. DTS took the approach of being "platform agnositic," something Adobe has been doing since the 1990s.

Adobe Encore CS6 is supposed to have quite a few improvements, with one of the biggest being a 64-bit re-build of the code. I'm a bit disappointed they haven't done a 64-bit re-build of Audition. It will still be 32-bit. Flash is the only other app in the "Production Premium" suite that will still be 32-bit. Even Bridge is getting a 64-bit update. But Audition CS6 will have some features that were missing from CS5.5.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: