Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Which BD player to get (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Which BD player to get
Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2012 08:57 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've got it narrowed down to the Oppo BDP-93 or BDP-95. The 95 has got all the factory sound upgrades, but I'm not sure if they are going to be worth the extra $500 over the 93. I'm going to be running this through the cp200 and JBL 4675's in my screening room, so I do want the best sound I can get. My question is, are the sound upgrades for the analog outputs only, or are they beneficial for the sound process entirely. I guess what I want to know is do I have to get the pricey unit to get the sound I want or will they both do the same performance if I use the correct output?

|  IP: Logged

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2012 09:23 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you get the benefits both ways? I am looking at that as well as the new Cambridge Audio and Arcam players.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-14-2012 12:06 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know nothing of Oppo players, but the sound upgrades would have to be for the analog outputs only. The only way to get better sound out of a digital output is to use really expensive HDMI cables which "improve" the bits (I think it changes the font of the 1's and 0's so that they are easier to read). What are these upgrades that they speak of? Better DAC? That's really all it could be. Not sure of any DAC that is good enough to cost $500, though.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-14-2012 10:50 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't new Blu-ray players (made after December, 2010) subject to the "analog sunset" rule? Players made before then could output 1080p HD over component video cables. The analog sunset rule states newer players are supposed to limit video quality on component outputs to 480p. Only HDMI is allowed to output 1080p.

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2012 05:59 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a little more research and yes, Joe is right. The upgrade is a SABRE32 DAC on the analog output. It's the same DAC that's used in the W4S DAC-2 unit that sells for $1599 and that unit alone is called an inexpensive top line DAC. So what DAC/preamp unit would work best for interfacing with the cp200?

I haven't had time to look for any good information on the "analog sunset" rule, but I'll be using the HDMI anyway, so that will be a non-issue for me.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-14-2012 06:24 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're using HDMI, then the DAC will make no difference.

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2012 08:10 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, but doesn't it have to be converted to analog and amplified before it will be something that can be used by the cp200?

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2012 08:28 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a question of which DAC is better? The processor receiving the HDMI signal or the players DAC?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-14-2012 08:34 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you care about sound or DAC quality at all when you want to ruin it anyway with a CP200?

- Carsten

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-14-2012 08:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful of sync issues when outputting HDMI video and analog audio. Even the crappiest DAC will be better than anything the CP200 has had fed to it before.

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2012 09:52 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know Carsten, you may have a valid point to your smart ass comment about my equipment, and if so, would you please make it. I'm on here to try to learn from those who could help me out to make my efforts more fruitful and for you to make a comment like you just did not only insults me, it's doesn't benefit me one little bit. So if you could enlighten me as to why my cp200 is going to ruin everything, I would like to hear it.

I guess I didn't consider that there may be a sync issue here. Please elaborate. I'm just trying to be able to use my theatre sound system for the video instead of just for film. And, by the way, I think that it sounds pretty damn good at this point.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-14-2012 11:03 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, you need to develop a thicker skin if you want to hang with this crowd. Carsten wasn't being a smartass, and he has a valid point.

To answer specifically, the CP-200, even with upgraded cards, has a signal-to-noise ratio lower than even the basic DACs, higher distortion than most digital sources, a slightly restricted frequency response compared to the digital source, etc.

You are NOT going to notice enough of a difference between the OPPO's original DAC and the $500 upgrade to justify the cost IMHO.

The delay issue is simple to explain: HDMI, because of it's signal structure and the pain in the ass HDCP crap WILL have a lag in the video output compared to the audio. You would be wise to process both the HDMI AND audio through a good A/V receiver (DO NOT USE DENON, they suck) and adjust the audio delay to re-sync the sound with the picture.

If you output the audio directly from the OPPO, either the player or some other device will need to have a delay capability or you will have sync issues. (If you use the HDMI output that is. If you use the component out the delay is negligible or non existent.)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-14-2012 11:08 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really depends on the player. Like I said, I know nothing of Oppo. What is cool is that I output my audio on the PS3 via HDMI but the video is output video component (it looks better on my 1080i TV than HDMI), yet everything remains in sync. And I'm saying that as long as you are outputting one of the lossless flavors (DTSHDMA, Dolby TrueHD, Lienar PCM) you are feeding your CP200 a better signal than it has ever been fed before. It rapes the DA20 or DTS or even 70mm mag (Guttag will argue against this point). But basically my point is that it's going to sound pretty good, all other things considered. granted on some movies you may need to adjust the EQ/levels within the CP200 to compensate for the home remix. Also, can the CP200 handle 7.1 channels?

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2012 09:51 AM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info Tony. And yes I understand that a person needs a thick skin on things, but the insult that I was refering to was that Carsten's "drive by" reply, while awakening me to possible problems that I had not considered, didn't give any useful input. Maybe he didn't have time and maybe I was a little quick to respond as a result of my own ignorance. No hard feelings Carsten.

Anyway, Tony and Joe, now at least I've got some information that I can use. Thanks [beer]

And Joe from what I know, the 200 is only a 5 or 6 channel. The sub is just a pass through with out the 560 card.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2012 07:12 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me, the -95 model's audio upgrades seem best suited for the "$50 for a power cord" crowd.

It may be because I am unaware of the amazing differences that this super-duper DAC can bring to the party, but my guess is that spending $500 on room treatments would be money better spent as far as audio quality improvements go.

I enjoy good sound, but after all these years of being in the home theater hobby, I have yet to be tempted to go the "separates" route of having all kinds of specialized components to do all the various functions that a $1,000 receiver can do within 90-95% of the performance of the separates, for a fraction of the price.

It's your money, so spend it the best way you see fit, but I wouldn't spend an extra $500 for the -95 over the -93. I consider the $500 price tag of the -93 plenty of money already...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: