Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » What is wrong with my Blue Ray player (s) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What is wrong with my Blue Ray player (s)
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-02-2012 02:30 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two Panasonic Blue-Ray players and only recently started to have some problem
with my primary player when it would at times not read a BD at start up. When the problem occurs, I would get a message that reads something like this.-- "Cannot read- Please check disc". When this occurs, I would just start over and in most cases, the machine would read the disc. There would be times when I would have to try two or three times before I can play the disc. There is however one disc that would not play at all no matter how much I try. It is BARAKA. After I started the SAMSARA thread, I wanted to watch Ron Fricke's original movie and found I had problem playing the disc. Thinking there was something was wrong with my player, I tried To play the disc on my other Panasonic this morning and the same thing occured on that machine too. I watched BARAKA many time on both of these players and never had a problem before. The primary player is fine when I play DVDs. The start up glitch only occurs when I play Blue-Rays discs.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with my BD players or the BARAKA disc?

-Claue

|  IP: Logged

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2012 03:12 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other than dirt or finger prints on the disc it could be that the players need a firmware update.Do you have then connected to the internet?
I have some discs that would not play until I got the latest firmware update.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-02-2012 04:53 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are no fingerprints on the BARAKA disc, Victor and it played fine on both players in the past so I do not think it is a firmware issue.

-Claude

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-02-2012 06:12 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude, I've had a disc or two that would not load on Bluray players. I would clean the disc and wipe it, just like eye glasses. Most of those discs had no fingerprints on them. And try the loading process again. And 99% of the time it would work. I have two Panasonics and three Sonys in service here.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2012 06:25 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your problem could be a dirty lens. You can VERY GENTLY clean it with a cotton swab with a drop of alcohol on it. Be very careful. The lens moves. If you push too hard, or force the lens too far, that may damage it. The BARAKA disc may just need a good cleaning, even if it looks clean. BTW, it is easer to read a DVD than a Blu-Ray.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-02-2012 06:37 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, BR's have a much finer "pit and valley" arrangement than the DVD's contain..thus, cleaninless is the top factor here for both disc and lens.

...and firmware issues are not uncommon either. Some players needs the upgrades since "Blu-ray" is a registered system and they could be changing information slightly on the discs themselves for the units needing the upgrades to play.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-10-2012 04:10 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After making repeated attempts to clean my BARAKA BD disc even though it did not appear to be dirty, I never got it to play at all. I have also been having problems with brand new new discs such as THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA 25th anniversary at the Royal Albert Hall. I was able to play that disc after trying about five times. It took LADY AND THE TRAMP four attempts before it would play.

After much consideration, I thought this could be a firmware issue so I called Panasonic and told them the problem I was having and they told me it is possible for a player to have problems getting a disc to play or refuse to play even though they had played perfectly in the past if my machine was not updated with the latest firm ware. After I was told this, I provided Panasonic with the model and serial numbers of both of my BD players and found I would have a problem dealing with their customer service. I had no problem when I asked Panasonic for a current firmware for my first player after a year of use and all I was asked to do was provide panasonic with the model and the serial number of the player and a current firmware was promptly sent to me. It was not that easy this time. IN ADDITION TO THE MODEL AND SERIAL NUMBER, THE @$%#&* IDIOTS WANT ME TO PROVIDE THEM WITH THE NUMBER OF THE FIRMWARE THAT THE MACHINE CAME WITH. I told the customer service personal, I was not asked to do this the last time and why now? She replied that this was always company policy. My brother has a SONY BD player and he gets new firmware all the time for his machine by providing SONY the model and serial number of his machine and the approximate month and year of his last firmware update and that was all. THe Panasonic (DMP-BD655P-K) I am now using was purchased sometimes around December 2010, and the latest firmware update for it was July 2011. It is obvious my machine needs a update but in order to get it, Panasonic needs the f---- original firmware number from the player. I have always been pleased with Panasonic but the way I feel about them now, THEY SUCK!

-Claude

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 02-10-2012 04:20 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you unable to connect your Panasonic player to your LAN or WIFI? Because it can update the firmware itself with an internet connection.

edit: nevermind about the WIFI. Apparently it's only "wifi-ready" in that you can buy an adapter from them but you can still hook it up to a LAN for an update.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-10-2012 04:39 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

I am not a very technical person regarding connecting a BD player to the internet and have found just having Panasonic send me a disc with the current firmware a simple solution I can deal with. They did this once for me before without 'hassling' me and cannot understand why I have to provide them with information I feel is not relevant in order to get the current firmware.

-Claude

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 02-10-2012 06:44 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) Connecting that player to the internet is done exactly the same way as connecting your computer. It uses the same kind of cabling and everything. You just put a cable in the LAN port and connect it to your router.
2) The person asking you might have meant to ask what version of the firmware your player has now rather than the one it had initially, although I doubt it.
3) You can also avoid waiting for them to send you a disk since they provide a download that you'd stick on a blank CD yourself, although it seems that they only support windows so if you're on a mac, it won't work.

You go to http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/bd/download/bd45_65_85/north_america/index.html click the link for the 655P which downloads an executable. Double-click and it creates a file PANA_DVD.FRM. Now stick a blank CD in your burner, right click on the file and choose "send to" and select the burner drive. Now you'll have a disk that's the same as the one they'd send you without going through their stupid hoops.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-11-2012 12:22 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you smoke, Claude? Smoke can damage electronics. Also, I'm not sure how Panasonic would expect anyone to know the version of firmware that the player came installed with. I'm not even sure what relevance that would have. What matters is the version of the firmware it has now.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-11-2012 10:58 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For whatever it's worth, I have had success using lens cleaner (Rosco brand, if it matters) and lens paper for cleaning DVDs and Blu-Rays. I don't know if this has any long-term negative effect on the life of the disc, but it has been known to make a finger-print-y or otherwise dirty disk playable.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2012 04:50 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is why I call Panasonic, PAINasonic.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-12-2012 06:45 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use to smoke a pipe and cigars when I was younger but no longer do, Joe.

I am planning to buy a new player very soon because I do not want to be faced with not being able to play BD s I already have in my collection as well as new discs because of firmware issue. When I get a new player, it will not be a Pain asonic -Good one, Bruce. The machine I get will either be a Sony or a Samsung. I have been very impressed with Samsung because I have a HDTV and a Galaxie G4 smartphone from T-Mobile and they were both made by that company. Although my HDTV is not a 3-D set, the new player I will get will be a 3-D machine in anticipation of the day I buy a 3-D display. I am already buying BDs of movies that come with a regular BD as well as a 3-D version of movies I enjoyed in that format in a theatre . By the way, can a 3-D player, play a 3-D and display an image on a standard HDTV? I am sure it can and the image probably will look like a blurred double image one sees in a theatre without glasses.

-Claude

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-12-2012 07:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony has given me nothing but trouble year after year in everything they make.

I only have early experience with Samsung blu-ray players and they were awful. I'm sure they have gotten better though.

I have YET to find a disc the Panasonic blu-ray players won't play, and we've got hundreds in the field. I've also yet to have one fail. Again, hundreds.

I think you just got lucky Claude.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: