Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » My Fair Lady Blu Ray (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My Fair Lady Blu Ray
Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2012 04:27 AM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me say that I think the quality we enjoy with Blu ray projected on our screen is stunning. I never dreamed when I ran 70mm prints in the sixties that I would have the privilege one day of enjoying classics looking so good without even leaving home.

My Wife and I however watched MFL last night and were both shocked at what we saw. There is a green hue and the Covent Garden scene at the end and parts of the 'Get Me To The Church On Time' scene has a horrible soft low density appearance on the right side. One shot after the return from the ball shows Eliza in a dirty green hue and at about 50% brightness.

I didn't expect it to live up to my memory of the original 70mm release, but after all the excellent work Robert Harris and his team did, I had hoped for something at least approaching the quality of the 35mm re-release.

The sound is not too bad although I did a little equalising but at least it is consistant.

Sadly, those bean counters at CBS will probably never be willing to pay for the job to be done properly now that this botched release has taken place. If I appear a little extreme, it's because MFL is no ordinary film. It is a masterpiece.

To all those responcible for this disaster, 'may the angels weep for you'.
[Mad]

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2012 10:05 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah apparently the bluray is making a lot of folks 'worst bluray releases of 2011' lists - [Frown] shame on you CBS

Fox set the bar pretty high with the excellent 'Sound of Music' bluray - here though CBS didn't use the 65mm elements nor the 6-track sound stems - they went the cheap route and it shows... badly

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-10-2012 10:19 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a mfl dvd that is entirely green. The color saturation is too high also. It is just barely within the range of my set's video adjustments to compensate.

What was forgotten by the restorers is that PASTELS were all the rage when the 70mm was first screened. The roses at the start were supposed to be subtle. If you adjust them that way, the titles (should be tarnished GOLD) stop being olive green. Also Rex Harrison's makeup stops being so obvious as well; stops at the hairline; pale in hair, excessively ruddy on face. Natural with video correction. Louis

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2012 10:45 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The real problem with the ability to "adjust" things is that some folks feel compelled to "adjust something!"

As in theatre architecture, restoration often becomes renovation.
It is very difficult to get folks to do an accurate restoration of the theatre decoration when they have so many possibilities for adding "embellishments".

There are very few theatre pipe organs fully restored to the original builder's mechanics and sounds. We so often hear that the organ has been "improved for modern performance"... Whatever that means!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-10-2012 11:39 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warren, thanks for the post, sad and as depressing as it is. What a huge disappointment. I guess I had the mistaken idea that now that we have DIGITAL and BR at that, all our beloved classic favorites would finally become available for us and the will look and sound nearly as good as we remember the originals in 70mm. We spent more money that we probably should have on projection and sound in our home theatres and then to get what you describe as what we will now probably have to live with forever -- these scum need to be tarred and feathered...I take that back -- it's not enough; how bout this -- how bout they NEED TO LOOSE THEIR DAMN COPYRIGHT PROTECTION! That will make the SOBs sit up and take notice. Why doesn't Warners still own this anyway; why is freakin CBS even in the movie business?

You are right -- with all the work Harris did, you would think it should have been a piece of cake making a decent BluRay release -- how much additional work would they have to have done on it?

Perhaps if enough people complain and embarass then enough, they may go back and fix the botched crap they spewed out. But I wouldn't hold my breath -- it's really difficult to embarass and a*hole.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2012 12:21 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Harris calls it the worst Blu-Ray release this year and not a single coin should be spent on it unless you wish to give CBS your money for crap in return.

He did a restoration in the 90s and says this looks like 35mm elements were used for this when the restored 70mm version could have been tweaked for a great Blu-Ray release.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2012 01:06 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
on home video this title has changed hands from Fox, to Warners and now Paramount, if CBS just sold the rights to one of them, say... Warner's, who do great 65mm transfers, this wouldn't have never been an issue, but as it now stands - the bluray is an outright embarrassment and travesty.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-10-2012 03:04 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
Why doesn't Warners still own this anyway; why is freakin CBS even in the movie business?
Warner bought the film rights in 1962 from Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS). The head of CBS put up money for the original Broadway production in exchange for the rights. The film rights would revert to CBS seven years after it's theatrical release. (rights sold 1962, film released 1964, rights revert back to CBS 1971).
MGM/CBS Home Video releases film 1981.
CBS/Fox Home Video releases film.
Warner Home Video releases film on the behalf of CBS Home Entertainment.
Paramount Home Video for CBS (Division of the same company)

The last theatical release was though 20th. Century-Fox which was the restored version in 1994.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2012 03:32 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just return the BR?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-10-2012 03:44 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BluRay.com don't seem to think it's that bad...

My Fair Lady BR review.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-10-2012 04:07 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is DVD Beaver's review and comparision for My Fair Lady versions.

My Fair Lady

I have not watched the whole BR yet. The last time I saw the whole film was at the Cineplex Century City Cinemas in Los Angeles in the restored 70MM presentation engagement.

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2012 07:27 PM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Rick Raskin
Why not just return the BR?
A seemingly reasonable suggestion, however I live in New Zealand and we have to wait months for new releases on BR. I therefore source from the UK or USA. Having paid postage the additional cost of returning it would just about equal the cost of the disk. By ajusting the colour on my projector, the quality is afterall, better than my DVD copy.

My disappointment is based on what I know could have been achieved from the 65mm master if technical quality had been a priority. Once again, this is no ordinary film but sadly, it seems to have been treated as if it were a low budget skin flick.

quote: John Wilson
BluRay.com don't seem to think it's that bad...

It is fair to assume that there will be mixed reviews depending upon the display device used for the assessment and expectations. However BR.com do say "image does appear to drift into softness and edge murkiness every now and again". It's a question as to whether you consider that acceptable for a classic film of which there is a large format master. I think the still images on that site together with those on dvd beaver speak volumes. Dvd beaver which has a link from John provides a detailed assessment.

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2012 07:25 AM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correction - it is Bill Gabel who kindly provides the link to dvd beaver. This provides an informed assessment of the BR release I believe.

Let's hope Lawrence of Arabia doesn't suffer the same fate when we see it in BR.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2012 08:10 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everything you could possibly want to know about this, including the official Robert Harris take.

For a veritable laundry list of reasons, I swore years ago that I would never buy a Blu-ray player. It's things like this that make me happy with that decision [Smile] .

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 09-30-2014 10:40 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 993 days since the last post.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: