Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » MAD MEN television series

Author Topic: MAD MEN television series
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-13-2011 07:32 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, I have never heard about the television series MAD MEN until I saw season one to four on sale on Blu-Ray at Costco for $11.95 each. I thought I would check it out by buying only the first season to see if I would like it. Half way through it that night I was hooked and went back to the store the next day and purchased the other three seasons. It was a good thing I did because there were only one other copy of season four left after I bought mine.

For those of you who like me is not familiar with the show, MAD MEN is a drama about a New York City Madison Avenue advertising agency and the people who work there in the early 1960's. The show seem to be very popular and had won Grammy awards four years in a row. THe show's primary character is the director of advertising Donald Draper and his relationship with his two two co-partners of the firm, the staff and his wife and two children. The show is a Lionsgate production for the AMC cable network. I have already watched the first two seasons and now in the middle of season three and there have already been several scenes of adultery involving Don Draper and another partner as well as a homosexual scene by one of the staff member of the agency with a hotel bellman. Although sexually themed, the show seem to be PG with no nudity and foul language. THe only thing that I had a problem with the show was the excessive amount of smoking and drinking by the the lead characters. It seem they are doing it in almost every scene they are in.

MAD MEN is very well produced with fantastic picture and sound on Blue-Ray. Many of the episodes have a audio commentary as well a a lot of extra stuff about the show and life in the sixties in the United States.

After a delay, season five is now in production and the first episode is scheduled to air on AMC next month.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-13-2011 08:28 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
The show seem to be very popular and had won Grammy awards four years in a row.
That's quite a feat, for a TV show to win an award for musicians 4 years in a row. [Razz]

I'm guessing you mean Emmy awards. [Smile]

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2011 08:32 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the excessive drinking and smoking was the norm for that era; well at least smoking was, so it makes sense that they would show it in every scene.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2011 12:06 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The comment I heard most about the series was the prolific smoking INDOORS in public places and in offices. Also one scene when the family was out at a picnic and the children were climbing all over the car with no safety seats or seat belts anywhere in sight. Like I did in the late 60s and early 70s.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-14-2011 08:35 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mad Men features the quite stacked and luscious Christina Hendricks.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2011 09:31 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James Westbrook
the children were climbing all over the car with no safety seats or seat belts anywhere in sight
When I was a kid I remember trips we took from California to Indiana . I would sleep in the rear window of the boat my parents drove. Some kind of huge Buick. One winter my brother broke his ankle, so on the trip back to California, I slept on the floor, my brother took up the whole back seat and my little sister slept in the rear window.
Fun times [thumbsdown]

Oh yeah, my parents smoked [thumbsdown]

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-14-2011 10:57 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick, that explains a lot. [Wink]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2011 12:24 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Sam, I can now curl up in a fetal position for 14 hour overseas flights. [beer] , plus when in Egypt, I can put up with the smoke from the hookah pipes (hehe I said "hookah") [Cool]

Rick

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2011 02:38 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, I never picked up an Egyptian hooker, I couldn't see past their eyes, and I was scared to even approach an Egyptian woman. I did think about walking around in a burka and dark sunglasses to "blend in", but the risk of getting caught was too great.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-14-2011 06:48 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was 21 years old in 1960 during the period MAD MEN takes place and the excessive smoking in the show was not the norm here in Hawaii. My grandfather smoked a pipe and a couple of my uncles smoked cigarettes but they were not the chain smokers that all of the principle cast seem to be in M.M.. Like my grandfather, I took up pipe smoking and cigars about this time but I never became addicted to tobacco because I never inhaled so it was very easy to quit when the heat from pipe smoking was irritating the roof of my mouth It has been almost fifty years since I stopped smoking and I now find the practice of people smoking around me very annoying. As far as I can remember, smoking was never allowed in movie theatres here in Hawaii and could not believe it when I went to a movie in San Francisco (Royal Theatre) and discovered it was allowed in that city . When smoking was permitted on planes, I always sat in the non smoking section but it made no difference because the smoke from the smoking section in front of the part of plane where I was sitting drifted into our section. What a relief smoking is banned in almost every public place but people still light up at bus stops and a few other places because there are no laws in Honolulu that prohibits it.

By the way, I will finish watching season three of MAD MEN tonight and start on season four tomorrow night. SPOILER ALERT) The show is really getting exciting when I stopped watching last night when Don Drapper (John Hamm) committed another act of adultery after his wife, Betty (January Jones) forgave him for his first one at the end of season two.

-Claude

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2011 07:22 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Mad Men features the quite stacked and luscious Christina Hendricks.
Gosh the things I'd do...

AJG

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-30-2011 12:32 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton
When I was a kid I remember trips we took from California to Indiana
You lived in Cali and you took trips to Indiana....on purpose?! [Wink]

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2011 03:44 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing wrong with the Hoosier state!

AJG

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2012 10:54 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude,

You forget that one of the big companies they worked with in the beginning was a tobacco company.

Most historians of the 60's applaud the show for it's accuracy.

All in all great show for many people. You either love it or you don't.

Claude, try Breaking Bad sometime. Another very good AMC show.

There is so much quality TV these days. One of the biggest reasons for declining ticket sales.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2012 12:12 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mad Men Season 5 starts on March 25th.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: