Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Sony releases 4k home projector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sony releases 4k home projector
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-21-2011 01:07 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what possible good is this to anyone without access to 4k source material (not to mention $25k in disposable income)?
http://techland.time.com/2011/09/08/sony-unveils-ultra-high-def-4k-projector-so-long-1080p/
quote:
"In similar fashion to our industry leading 4K Digital Cinema projectors, our new VPL-VW1000ES 4K home theater projector has been created to not just meet but exceed the needs of the most discerning and demanding home entertainment enthusiasts," said Mike Abary, senior vice president of Sony Electronics' Home Division, in the press release. "It will allow them to become totally involved in the viewing experience and much closer to the action on the biggest home theater screens, with images that deliver considerably more detail and fewer artifacts."

Read more: http://techland.time.com/2011/09/08/sony-unveils-ultra-high-def-4k-projector-so-long-1080p/#ixzz1Ybz35C30

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-21-2011 02:39 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and even cinemas don't have 4K usage yet - we're still stuck in 2K mode..

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2011 02:57 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought TI was to start releasing movies with it's new 4K DLP technology by now.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2011 03:11 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There have been a few 4K movies out there. Priest in 2D was one.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-22-2011 02:42 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's gonna be a lot of extra work for the bootleggers to get 4K content out to the very rich who can afford a 4K home projector, because the studios sure won't.

Hey, anyone want to take a guess what Disney will say when someone wants to buy a hard drive with the latest Disney movie on it authored at 4K rez? They still refuse to release their 3D titles out on 3D BluRay for whatever their reason is in that alternate-universe/Shutter Island way of thinking they use over there in Burbank and for which they have become justly famous.

Hey, will it have a laser light engine? Why not go for that too -- then there REALLY won't be a reason to ever go to the theatre to see a movie. Except of course if one is drawn to that "social" experience and needs to rub elbows with the unwashed and their chit-chatting offspring, not to mention the cellphones and the bed bugs. Yup...it's that compelling social experience you always hear them talking about that I just can't resist, which is why when I can't go to the cinema, I try to invite a goodly number of strangers into my living room so I can get the full "moviegoing experience." [uhoh] Yah.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2011 03:22 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@ James:
it looks like alongside 'Priest' - 'Bad Teacher' 'The Green Hornet' 'Battle LA' '30 Minutes or Less' 'Straw Dogs' 'Restless' and 'Moneyball' were also released 4K.

I know 'Battle' was shown in 4K DLP - what about the others?

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2011 05:02 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't aware about Straw Dogs being in 4K. We are running that now.
When I was building the playlist for Moneyball, I noticed the feature file was 4K and I thought "I need to watch this to see if I can tell the difference." Unlike Straw Dogs, Moneyball is showing on one of our bigger screens.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2011 12:31 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, actually quite a few blockbusters are 4K these days.
And naturally anything coming from Sony now pretty much was shot with a cinealta camera, 5k intermediate, and release prints from that.

I can't say for sure about the home version of the projector, but in the cinema version, the 4K projector receives 4K from the media block whether DCP was 2K or not. The thing I like is that the 2K dcp looks really damn good on a 4K projector.
Visible screen door effect is reduced quite a bit by the pixel size on the projector, moire is almost unoticeable, and no jaggies on sharp edges.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-24-2011 08:23 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dominic Espinosa
Visible screen door effect is reduced quite a bit by the pixel size on the projector, moire is almost unoticeable, and no jaggies on sharp edges.

Just to be clear about what you are saying. In the majority of commercial digital presentations there is visible screen door effect, noticeable moire and jaggies on sharp edges? (that has been my experience for the most part, but I haven't seen that many)

And this is supposed to be better than film?

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2011 12:49 PM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 4K festival is currently showing in Copenhagen: http://www.biografmuseet.dk/news/2011/4k_festival/index.htm

Saw SOM and Kwai today

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-24-2011 01:44 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
Just to be clear about what you are saying. In the majority of commercial digital presentations there is visible screen door effect, noticeable moire and jaggies on sharp edges? (that has been my experience for the most part, but I haven't seen that many)

And this is supposed to be better than film?

Bingo.

I wouldn't buy the projector even if I had the $25k to burn simply because it's a Sony. [Big Grin] [puke]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-24-2011 02:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"In similar fashion to our industry leading 4K Digital Cinema projectors"
Ya gotta love that line! I donno anyone here in the States installing any Sony's except AMC and Regal. Sony... the only self destructing D-Cinema projector...LOL!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-24-2011 02:29 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On my "Straw Dogs" sheet: 4096x1716 2K Scope .. and I'm shooting this movie through a twin lens Sony..

?? [Confused] ??

They're not that bad ... but you just gotta know how to work with them to keep ahead of them.

Big thing is to go into your "Restart SMS", then to "Shutdown" to completely power these things down, then hit the button on the status cone once a week to rid of the ghosts that hides in the media block...and no probs will ever arise from these units.

Course, I do this weekly shutdown on the other makes of units that I have ... just to clean out old memory.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2011 04:21 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@ Thomas Hauerslev: how did Sound of Music and Kwai look? your impressions please, thanks.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2011 11:59 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte,

I was just thinking of asking you about your experience with stability...Do you have R220's or 320's?
I have revision 1 and revision 2 R220's and find them to be less than ideal in the stability area. Namely the SMS server software specifically.
I find each machine MUST be restarted near weekly, which I think is really excessive.
I've got file/media/web/network servers running elsewhere with uptime of 200+ days under 0.5+ load averages yet no problems.
To me that means the SMS software itself is unstable and has memory management problems.
But I digress. This isn't the time or place. Just curious about your experience....?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: