Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » BEN-HUR is coming to Blu Ray... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: BEN-HUR is coming to Blu Ray...
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-12-2011 07:30 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes. [Smile] [thumbsup]

BEN-HUR

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2011 10:17 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An example of the kind of movie making we may never ever see again. Truly the definition of epic.

Can't wait!

AJG

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-17-2011 11:57 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What, they are not converting this to 3D first? [Big Grin]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-18-2011 01:16 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're converting it to aroma-scope. [Smile]

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2011 11:16 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't wait to see what lepers smell like.

AJG

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2011 11:22 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what they smell like but according Hannibal lector they taste like chicken.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-27-2011 05:24 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I had learned Target had the best price for BEN-HUR and was bringing in only three copies at their store in my area and Best Buy only price match if Target still had them in stock, I picked it up from the store. I opened the package but did not play the discs yet and found what was in the package, amazing. There are two hard cover books in addition to the three discs that are housed in a gorgeous digipak. The smaller book is a personal journal of Charleton Heston as he recorded his daily activities before, during and after the production of BEN-HUR and looks very interesting. The larger book features pictures from the production as well as cast portraits and beautifully printed.

I was torn between getting the movie only set and the deluxe set and decided to get the full package because the special features on the 3rd disc had interested me very much. It features the original 1925 version of BEN-HUR with a stereophonic orchestral score by Carl Davies , a full length documentary "Charleton Heston & Ben-Hur, A Personal Journey" as well as two other documentaries about the film and other stuff.

I cannot wait to play the discs and will do so tonight after dinner. I had learned it was the first time Warners had scanned a movie at 8K from original 65mm elements and had put the movie on two separate discs. All the reiviews I had read said the presentation is awesome . I cannot wait

-Claude

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2011 09:10 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
put my order in for the UK bluray release (3 discs) which came out at £13 - minus all the frills that the ultimate collection box set has.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2011 10:34 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it me or did the thread title change?

AJG

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2011 10:55 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ I think you're right...

it's Ben Hur ... with bunnies

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2011 06:23 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a site with a comparison between the DVD and the BD.
Click on the desired chapter and then move the mouse over a part of the image you want to compare and click and wait for it to load.
Then move the onto the image to see the DVD image and move the mouse off the image for the BD comparison.

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?art=part&x=678&y=216&action=1&image=7&cID=589&cap1=2214&cap2=2198&lossless=1#vergleich

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-28-2011 02:09 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the first half hour of the Blu-Ray of BEN-HUR with the audio commentary by T. Jean Hatcher and Charlton Heston and portions of the rest of the movie and the brand new documentary "Charlton Heston & Ben-Hur: A Personal Journey" last night and I fully concur about the picture quality of BEN-HUR". It is excellent as all of the reviews I had read had stated as well as the documentary which was very informative. THe audio commentary was also very informative and I am planning to watch all of the movie and listening to it very soon. The only thing that disappointed me was Warner Home Video age old practice of placing title cards over the Overture, Entra'acte and Exit music instead of letting it play against a blank screen with road show movies that have them. It in my opinion, this takes away from the original theatrical experience. MGM and Fox are very good about it because almost all of their road show movies on video play the music on a blank screen.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-28-2011 09:46 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just close the douser. [Razz]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-29-2011 09:57 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
They're converting it to aroma-scope
I love the smell of horse poop and sweat in the morning!

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2011 04:34 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet Haya Harareet smelled good.

AJG

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: