Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » PLANET OF THE APES on Blu-Ray

Author Topic: PLANET OF THE APES on Blu-Ray
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-04-2011 08:38 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember paying almost a hundred dollars for all five of the PLANET OF THE APE movies many years ago but I could not believe it when I saw the entire series on Blu-Ray discs at Costco for $28.95. Although I have the DVDs, I could not pass up that deal and bought it as a birthday gift to myself today. I went on line to read the reviews of the BDs and learned the picture and sound quality is much better than the DVD but not that exceptional compared to other movies in the format. It came out at the right time because I will be in the mood to see the movies after I see RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES this weekend at a theatre

-Claaude

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-05-2011 02:52 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the first PLANET OF THE APES Blu Ray disc last night and I was in for a very pleasant surprise. I have seen all five of THE PLANET OF THE APES film in a theatre and at home on VHS tapes, laserdiscs and DVD before I got the BD set The impartial Blu-Ray review of the movies I had read was way off the mark in my opinion because the picture was just gorgeous. I never thought the movie would look as good as it did on the BD and in fact it was even better than the theatrical presentation I saw when the movie was first released in 1968. One gets a lot from the Blu Ray set of TPOTA series because each one of the movies has a lot of bonus features and all the extra stuff on the original film are all in 1080p high definition . Watching the first movie in excellent high definition was the perfect conclusion to my 72nd birthdate last night.

-Claude

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2011 07:30 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday Claude. Let us know what you think of the new TPOTA movie, I don't know weather to go see it or not.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-05-2011 07:43 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second Bruce's congrats, Claude. Hope you had a good one.

I was a big fan of the APEs franchise, and as much as I was impressed with the makeup (although I thought it fell short of the work done in 2001:ASO, the one thing that I couldn't figure out why they didn't go another route was the vocal problem the makeup presented. It always seemed too obvious to me that the actors speaking thru the chimp masks shaped the tone of the voice so that each of the chimp actors sounded like they were speaking with a rubber cup over their mouths', which of course they were. Roddy McDowell whose voice was so distinctive and recognizable was particularly plagued with that distorted dialogue. It drew so much attention to the fact that they were wearing chimp masks that any "suspension of disbelief" was severely hampered, at least for me. I thought they could easily have recitifed the problem by overdubbing at least the masked principals' dialogue.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-07-2011 07:03 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have already watched four of the five original POTA movies since I got the BDs last Thursday on my birthday and have only one more to watch and will do so tonight. I just cannot believe how entertaining these movies are. With the exception of probably the first, the sequels had plots that were so bad that required disengaging one's brain to enjoy the movies. I did exactly that and I had a great time when I watched the first four movies. Like the first movie, the picture and sound quality is first rate and I cannot believe how I was able to purchase the complete movie collection on Blu-Ray for under thirty dollars. The Costco where I bought mine is all sold out and I am sure it is the same at all other stores. If you like the movies and can find a copy at a Costco, grab it!

I saw RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES yesterday at Regal's Dole Cannery 18 in Honolulu and the film and SRD presentation was excellent and so was the movie. Sure the story was predictable because it was expected to be as a prequel to the original POTA movies. The only thing I could not understand was how the apes were on the verge of taking over the world in present day when the first two movies in the original series were set a little over two thousand years in the future.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: