Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Jurassic Park coming to Blu-ray on October 25, 2011!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Jurassic Park coming to Blu-ray on October 25, 2011!!
Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2011 12:20 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jurassic Park

quote:
This October, Universal Studios Home Entertainment will bring one of the most popular film series of all time to Blu-ray: the Jurassic Park Trilogy. Based on Michael Crichton's best-selling novel, director Steven Spielberg's Jurassic Park created a world where science brought the dinosaurs back to life, a world further explored in its popular sequels The Lost World: Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park III.

Universal presents the Jurassic Park Trilogy remastered for 1080p, with all films shown in their original aspect ratios of 1.85:1 and given DTS-HD Master Audio tracks. In terms of special features, the Blu-ray collection will feature all supplements from the previous DVD editions, including (but not limited to):
The Making of Jurassic Park featurette
The Making of The Lost World: Jurassic Park featurette
The Making of Jurassic Park III featurette
Steven Spielberg Directs Jurassic Park featurette
Early Pre-Production Meetings
The World of Jurassic Park featurette
The Magic of Industrial Light & Magic featurette
Location Scouting
Phil Tippett Animatics: Raptors In The Kitchen featurette
The Jurassic Park Phenomenon: A Discussion with Author Michael Crichton featurette
Industrial Light & Magic and Jurassic Park: Before and After The Visual Effects featurette
Industrial Light & Magic and The Lost World: Jurassic Park Before & After featurette
The Industrial Light & Magic Press Reel
A Visit to Industrial Light & Magic featurette
Hurricane in Kauai featurette
Dinosaur Turntables featurette
The Dinosaurs of Jurassic Park III featurette
Montana: Finding New Dinosaurs featurette
Animatics: T-Rex Attack featurette
The Special Effects of Jurassic Park III featurette
The Sounds of Jurassic Park III featurette
The Art of Jurassic Park III featurette
Tour of Stan Winston Studio featurette
Feature Commentary on Jurassic Park III with Special Effects Team
Production Archives: Storyboards, Models, Photographs, Design Sketches, and Conceptual Drawings
Deleted Scenes
Theatrical Trailers
Furthermore, the Jurassic Park Trilogy has digital copies of the three films and over two hours of bonus materials newly produced for Blu-ray; the new material takes the form of a six-part retrospective documentary titled Return to Jurassic Park. This documentary - made up of the Dawn of a New Era, Making Pre-history, The Next Step in Evolution, Finding The Lost World, Something Survived, and The Third Adventure behind-the-scenes segments - features never-before-seen interviews with the cast and crew of the three films, including Jurassic Park and The Lost World: Jurassic Park director Steven Spielberg.

Exclusive to Blu-ray will be Universal's BD-Live, My Scenes, pocket BLU, Advanced Remote Control, Video Timeline, Mobile-To-Go, Browse Titles, and Keyboard interactive functionality components.

As previously reported, Universal will also offer the Jurassic Park Trilogy in a special "Limited Edition" Blu-ray gift set; check back later for further information on that version of the trilogy.

The Jurassic Park Trilogy streets on October 25th, 2011.

I just hope we get the original DTS digital experience trailer, but I'm not holding my breath.

AJG

|  IP: Logged

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 06-27-2011 03:54 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Garman
I just hope we get the original DTS digital experience trailer, but I'm not holding my breath.

AJG

You need to get the DTS laserdisc for that. Is the discs going to be THX certified?

DTS has distanced themselves from that trailer.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-27-2011 05:16 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
Is the discs going to be THX certified?

No they is not have the THX certification. Does that mean no-sale for you, Tom Petrov?

This is a definite no-sale for me because I hate JP 2 and 3. 2 is OK at best, but simply not worth owning. Jeff Goldblum just can't carry a movie like that himself and the daughter's involvement in the movie was insulting to my intelligence. She sneaks on to the trip and uses gymnastics to attack a dinosaur? Maybe if I were mildly retarded I would find enjoyment in this.

When they sell JP 1 as a standalone, I will buy it. I would prefer it come without all of the extra nonsense as well. Just the trailers are fine. Don't need the making of. Don't need running commentary. Just give me the damn movie.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 06-27-2011 05:26 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I already have the THX DD Jurassic Park LD and the THX DD Lost World LD. As for part III, i have the DTS DVD.

There really is no need for the BR for me. I like all three movies.

quote: Joe Redifer
Just give me the damn movie.
Treat yourself to the LD

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-27-2011 05:41 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the LD. I want it in HD with better sound.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2011 05:51 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the DTS LaserDisc, and many other versions. I really want it in HD though and hope that the sound at least equals the LD experience. I used to have the DD LD too and I remember that being awesome as well.

THX on a Blu-ray? The only one I've ever seen is Avatar.

I'm a sucker for 2 and 3...what can I say.

AJG

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 06-27-2011 06:08 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron.-I wouldn't bother getting the BR.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-27-2011 06:24 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But he would so that's all that really matters to him. I have it on LD and DVD as well and I will bother with the Blu-ray when it is available on its own.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2011 07:21 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom you seem to be against 1080p HD video on the Jurasic Park films?
Why?
LD discs are cool but picture quality is very wanting compared to Blu-Ray.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2011 08:34 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
Aaron.-I wouldn't bother getting the BR.
Why? It's my favorite film of all time, there are plenty of extras, and I'm sure the 1080p video won't be worse than the VHS, LaserDiscs, and DVDs I already own. I'm very very curious about the audio. If it really makes me mad, maybe I'll learn how to "repurpose" the video with LaserDisc audio. [Smile]

AJG

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-27-2011 08:35 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am with Aaron and very partial to all three JURASSIC PARK films. The first one is the best of them all but the other two are just as enjoyable. I had the DTS laserdisc but still have the full bit rate DTS DVD and the sound is just as good as the LD in my opinion. I am looking forward to finally having the opportunity to add the Jurassic Park films on Blu Ray to my collection after waiting for them since I started collecting the high definition discs. Tom seem to be the only one with a obsession with laserdiscs but in my opinion, Blu Ray rules! Everything that was great about the laserdisc will be there on the Blu-Ray including the awesome sound. This time, the BD's will feature 7.1 DTS HD Master Audio tracks and I envy everyone here who has the necessary hardware in their home theatre system to enjoy movies with that kind of sound mix.

-Claude

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 06-27-2011 09:23 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Victor-I am against most re-releases in blu-ray. I was not impressed with one of the Star Treks, and The Running Man was horrible. Terminator II was pretty good and I hear that was from the Japanese HD Laserdisc Mule I think it was called.

quote: Victor Liorentas
LD discs are cool but picture quality is very wanting compared to Blu-Ray
Lasedisc picture is highly dependent on the a good machine and a good/later transfer. With a good machine, you will give a DVD a run for the money. As for BR, I am not a 100% but it seems to me that a lot of BR movies have had the colour changed or something like that. Just not always a fan. I have always thought LD looks the most like film.

Don't get me wrong, The Dark Knight looked and sounded outstanding!

IMO, re-releases on BR are just another way of milking people for their money, in most cases a well mastered DVD is good enough. New releases I am all for, just not the older ones. I was just not impressed with some of the older titles.

As for 7.1 sound. If it was originally mixed in it, then I am all for it.

And to Claude, Jurassic Park DTS DVD was half bit rate.

I'm very very curious about the audio.
Well, I am not impressed that they are changing the 5.1 mix to become 7.1. That to me is all the more reason to stay away

THX on a Blu-ray? The only one I've ever seen is Avatar.
There has been some. Terminator2, Indiana Jones4, Alien 1-2 (3,4 were not),

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-27-2011 09:55 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where are you seeing anything about changes to 7.1 audio?

Another thing that will also make me not buy this set is the cheap, non-plastic cardboard packaging. Cheap cheap CHEAP! Hopefully the individual releases will come in real Blu-ray cases that don't get damaged just by looking at them.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-27-2011 10:07 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Universal initially had a problem when they released the DTS DVD of JURASSIC PARK and had to repress it because the low frequency effects that was on the DTS laserdisc was not audible on the first pressings. Like all other full bit Universal DTS DVDs, JURASSIC PARK only features 5.1 track indicating I am correct when I say it is full bit rate.

Just because JURASSIC PARK was released to theatres with a 5.1 DTS track, that does not mean the movie have to feature that same track on the BD. Wonderful things can be done when a movie track is remixed for home video from existing original sound elements such as DIRTY HARRY which was released in mono but now features a fantastic 5.1 stereo track on Blu-Ray and DVD.

-Claude

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2011 10:09 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think another press release stated 7.1 audio, but later on in the specs it said DTS-MA 5.1. I'm hoping it's not a 7.1 remix, but the original mix that Rydstrom did way back when.

Why repurpose perfection?

AJG

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: