Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » GETTYSBURG (1993) Blu-Ray

Author Topic: GETTYSBURG (1993) Blu-Ray
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-25-2011 08:32 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been exactly a hundred fifty years after the Confederates bombarded Fort Sumpter in South Carolina on April 12 & 13 1861 and Warner Home Video is commemorating the anniversary of the American Civil war with the release of Michael F. Maxwell's two films about the War, GETTYSBURG and GODS & GENERALS on a two disc digipak special edition on Blu-ray. GODS & GENERALS was previously released on Blu Ray but GETTYSBURG was not. . Both movies on Blu-Ray is the extended versions with a lot of new special features. The Academy Award MGM short THE BATTLE AT GETTYSBURG that was on on the original GETTYSBURG DVD has been ported over but it is again on a DVD along with all the other special features in the two disc set. I am not sure if it is the same extended version of GETTYSBURG IMage Entertainment released in a Laserdisc box set but I do not see any reason why it is not. I was planning to pick up both movies but only GETTYSBURG was on sale at Best Buy. I watched the first ten minutes of GETTYSBURG and it is the best it ever looked including the theatrical presentation. I also watched parts of the special features and they too are excellent.

I was fortunate to see GETTYSBURG in 70mm on opening night at the Cinerama in Honolulu in 1993 and I am glad I did because the print was damaged a few days later and had to be replaced with a 35mm version.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-25-2011 09:16 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did the sound for Gettysburg at the National Theatre in Washington D.C. Had 50,000 watts and 40 sub woofers along with conventional dts. Screen had 3 4675 with 2 horns and drivers each (3 balconies). All for one show and a party, then removed. Louis

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-25-2011 09:31 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The canon barrage during the Pickets Charge segment in GETTYSBURG must have sounded awesome, Louis. The movie was released by New Line Cinema in only DTS sound and the Cinerama was not set up for that sound format so it just played in standard six track stereo but the sound during the movie in that theatre was very good as far as I can remember.

-Claude

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2011 09:58 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ Pickett's* Two t's please. [Razz]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-25-2011 11:54 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple web sites didn't give the new Blu-ray of Gettysburg very good marks at all in terms of video quality. It's the typical Warner Home Video "let's compress it as severely as possible" policy. It's kind of like the even more infuriating recent release of Hamlet. They crammed that 4 hour movie onto just 1 BD-50 disc when it should have spanned 2 BD-50's to maximize the bit rate and show off as much of that native 5/65mm image detail as possible.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-26-2011 09:01 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't much of it shot in Super 16? I believe it was. I saw it projected at the Uptown via Heir Guttag. It looked soft there but was still impressive to watch and a pretty good movie as well.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-26-2011 10:58 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! Super 16 sounds about right. Some of the reenactment scenes are existing footage from a previous reenactment weekend. (Pay particular attention to the nice U.S. Air 727 in one of the scenes.) Also the mustaches move around scene-to-scene on the actopr's faces. louis

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-26-2011 07:56 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did read the Blu Ray reviews for GETTYSBURG before I bought it and was disappointed by some of the negative comments but I knew the BD will look much better than the DVD and the special edition laserdisc i previously purchased and I was right. When I watched a few minutes of the the BD of GETTYSBURG, I was more than satisfied with the picture quality. I am planning to watch GETTYSBURG in its entirety sometime next week when I can devote an entire evening watching all four and a half hour of the movie.

Yes, GETTYSBURG was not photographed in 65mm. It was originally intended to be shown as a mini series on the Turner network and filmed the way TV shows are shot in 35mm or Super 16. After the movie was completed, Ted Turner felt the movie had the potential to do well as a theatrical release and that is what he did.

-Claude

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2011 07:10 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew a few of the reenactors who participated in the Little Round Top and Pickett's Charge scenes. A kid who graduated high school a year ahead of me is distinctly shown twice in the film: Once in the scene where General Lee rides out to shake the hands of Pickett's men just after authorizing the charge . . . later he is was shown being wiped out by an explosion during the cannonade.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2011 10:30 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Louis Bornwasser
Did the sound for Gettysburg at the National Theatre in Washington D.C. Had 50,000 watts and 40 sub woofers along with conventional dts. Screen had 3 4675 with 2 horns and drivers each (3 balconies). All for one show and a party, then removed. Louis

where did the film actually have it's theatrical play in DC, I'm drawing a blank - was it at the Uptown or the Avalon?

I have yet to watch my bluray copy of the film, but I have to say the new cut of Gods and Generals is way better than the bloated theatrical version.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-05-2011 05:57 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The world premiere was at The National, but it also ran around the corner at a much smaller venue. (Smaller venue had horrid sound.) Louis

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2011 05:26 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was handling the film services department at Turner Entertainment when GETTYSBURG was released. Ted personally insisted on 70mm prints being made, and these were done at DeLuxe Hollywood, as blowups from 35mm interpositive. I don't know what format the original photography was.
The 70mm prints, at that time, cost in excess of $25,000 each.
Ted was right. The grosses in those houses were well ahead of the 35mm runs, although probably not enough to pay for the prints.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2011 08:53 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...not to mention those huge masses of cotton wool beards - all made to look the same...
The film w a s good, despite the beards, but it did not get the treatment in Denmark, it had deserved: ONE 35mm print - distributed by the Video-distributor - and without subtitles.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: