Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part I Blu-Ray Glitch?

Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part I Blu-Ray Glitch?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-16-2011 08:32 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While watching the new Harry Potter on blu-ray tonight, I noticed something strange. During the part where the three kids break into the Ministry, after Harry and Ron reunite in the elevator and head towards the court room, there is a shot of two guards dragging someone down the hall. Freeze frame the end of that shot and advance it frame by frame. The very last frame of the shot seems to back up. So the frames go something like this:

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 6

Can anyone confirm that their disks have the same issue?

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-16-2011 10:38 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, odds are that what you are seeing is the layer transition on the disc. Blu-ray, like dvds, are frequently dual layers and the transition will result in a momentary freeze or repeat of frames. This usually, but not always, happens at roughly the halfway point of the feature.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2011 01:07 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't notice it on an Oppo last night where I watched it but my Sony 350 exhibited the problem tonight. I wouldn't blame a layer change either because the audio doesn't skip and Bluray layer changes are designed to be invisible by spec unlike DVD which are almost always visible.

AJG

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-17-2011 09:09 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, Aaron, this is not a layer change. This looks like a mastering problem. I also noticed a few times where there are several vertical lines going through the picture almost like there is some weird filtering going on or something. I noticed it in a few of the scenes in the woods when the camera was panning slowly, and later in the fade to black before the final scene. There also seemed to be an awful lot of jagged lines. Especially around the rims of Harry's glasses which made it pretty annoying to watch. I'm not sure if that means "too much edge enhancement" or what but it sure is painful to watch. -- Then again, maybe my TV is just going bad! [Smile]

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2011 12:49 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to re-watch it sometime to see if I can see those defects that you mention, as my initial screening was not on my system and honestly, I didn't noticed anything wrong.

AJG

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-17-2011 07:39 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They aren't hard lines. They're kind of like distortion lines. But they're perfectly spaced apart and vertical. It's sort of like looking through a piece of defective glass or something. Very strange.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2011 08:17 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very old, very dark magic no doubt. Indeed, the work of the Dark Lord himself.

AJG

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-17-2011 09:28 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking the same thing.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-20-2011 09:37 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits:

quote:
A lot of readers seem to be having problems with glitching, skipping and freezing on Warner's new Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 Blu-ray. The glitches appear to be happening at different times during the film, so it might be a manufacturing problem. We're looking into it.
I reported my disk's problem to him (although I didn't notice any skipping or freezing), and he replied that he'd check it out. I guess we're not the only ones if "a lot of readers" are reporting it. We'll see how this shakes out.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: