Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Tom joins the ranks of the Elite (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Tom joins the ranks of the Elite
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 03-31-2011 09:16 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My new baby. A deal I couldn't refuse.

-

Original owner
The remote, wrapping, box everything
Manual
Even the warranty card
AC-3 upgrade
Digital out
Legato Link Conversion with picture control

I tried it out. Wow! I am amazed at the picture quality over my old unit. I really like that I can sharpen the picture from the LD unit.

Also, my favorite feature so far is that when watching a movie and I turn the power off, it will start up at the exact same place where I left off.

I got a very rare Pioneer Elite CLD 53

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-31-2011 11:50 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like you may want to wipe that thing off with some alcohol. Looks kind of nasty.

quote: Tom Petrov
Also, my favorite feature so far is that when watching a movie and I turn the power off, it will start up at the exact same place where I left off.
WOOOOWWW!! It's getting close to VHS and DVD quality there! What's next, the entire movie on one side?

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2011 11:54 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A THX button. [Roll Eyes]

In all seriousness though, neato Tom!

AJG

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 03-31-2011 11:58 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Looks like you may want to wipe that thing off with some alcohol. Looks kind of nasty
Thats the camera lense...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-01-2011 01:42 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I don't think so. Those buttons have definitely been pressed many times by dirty fingers.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-01-2011 01:47 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I concur with Joe. Also, you'll be glad to know that you can keep the warranty card for its valuable treasured collectible value, since if you send it in to Pioneer they will only chuckle as they're throwing it in the trash.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-01-2011 08:11 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice find. [thumbsup]

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 04-02-2011 02:07 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to those who are happy for me.

This is my third Elite product and I am impressed with them compared to other equipment.

This won't be my last Elite unit. I am sure a CLD-99 will show up somewhere

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2011 12:44 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know where in the line the CLD-53 fell? I can't seem to find much info on it but it looks a lot like the CLD-D703/4 except with an elite badge. Of course, we know the CLD-79/99 were pretty close the 703/4 in terms of innards as well.

AJG

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-02-2011 03:26 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call me crazy, but I just don't get the appeal of Laserdisc collecting in 2011, at least for titles that are available in better formats. I can completely understand why people have film setups or vintage professional video equipment (2" quad, etc.) at home, as those are original formats for many productions. I can also understand collecting music on vinyl, due to the larger cover art and the fact that many recordings sound better on vinyl than on CD (for a variety of reasons).

On the other hand, Laserdiscs are a consumer format and aren't an "original" format for anything. At best, a Laserdisc is a representation (think "postcard") of original film or video material. Given that, don't more modern formats give a better representation of the original in most cases?

I certainly understand why people with large existing collections (which likely predate DVD and Blu-Ray) would keep their disks and players, but I guess I just don't see the point of starting a new collection of Laserdiscs unless the disks themselve are very cheap or the titles that one wishes to collect are unavailable in better editions.

Maybe someone can enlighten me....

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-02-2011 03:55 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I have a small share of LaserDisc stuff, I am certainly no collector and obtained it all when LaserDisc was current. I agree about stuff being available on better formats. I think LD collectors like it because they feel not too many people knew about the format, so they feel elite. They do get the vinyl-sized artwork as well. Some claim LD has better sound than DVD sound. While I'm sure that is certainly the case on some titles, the overall claim seems debatable at best. LD picture quality is awful.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2011 04:02 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's a couple reasons Scott, at least to me.

Part of it is nostalgia no doubt: it's just fun still spinning those large discs. It's also fun just collecting them for the jackets alone, especially on big box sets.

I also think that some films on LD have what appear to me as a better sound than any other modern format. For instance, the DVDs of Indiana Jones have some wonderful 5.1 mixes in Dolby Digital, but I love having the LDs too because the PCM Dolby Surround is quite a lot of fun. It's also fun to compare some tracks between then and now on films you really really love.

Sure, my Blu ray of Mission: Impossible looks much better than my LaserDiscs, but the AC3 track on the LD is so much more fun!

AJG

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-02-2011 05:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
I can also understand collecting music on vinyl, due to the larger cover art
Ummmmmmm...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-02-2011 07:01 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What? It's not like vinyls sound better than MP3s or anything. The studios mix and master in MP3.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 04-02-2011 09:03 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
I think LD collectors like it because they feel not too many people knew about the format, so they feel elite.
It has nothing to do with that.

For me, it is a hobby these days. I constantly check to see what i can find and then buy it. There is a certain sense of nostalgia when collect lds, I remember when I was a kid I had to save up my money from the movie theatre I worked and travel out of my to purchase a title I wanted, I had to really think if I wanted that title because the prices were so high.

Even today, my 6 hr drive to Montreal for a 300 set lot for a $1 each which luck had it that I did not have on dvd. My luck in picking up The Phantom Menace for $2, waiting and waiting for my sealed Titanic ld to come in the mail. These are all stories that DVDs/Blurays just can't deliver.

Also, knowing that the studios took the care to certify titles such as 48hrs, Trigger Effect, Mission Impossible etc with THX mastering whereas the DVDs and BR were shitty transfers. Also, some discs were gatefold wheras some got all CAV treatment or the special uber box sets with pictures of the movie and books etc.

Also, having to find a good player to get good quality playback and things such optical out or AC3 were not a dime a dozen.

I like upconverted dvd and blu-ray but I have no interest in upgrading my over 850 discs into either of these formats. Yes I do buy many more dvds that LDS and the occasional BR but searching, finding, browsing LDs is something DVD or BR just can't deliver.

quote: Aaron Garman
LDs too because the PCM Dolby Surround is quite a lot of fun
Most times the LDs Dolby Surround mix is better than the DVD Dolby Digital mix.

I have about 10 Blurays in my collection of 2000 movies, if the movies is bluray, that does not mean I will buy it.

Now if it was a new movie that was released recently, then yes I will get it in BR such as the upcoming TRON Legacy release.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: