Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » THE UNINVITED will be on TCM tomorrow night

Author Topic: THE UNINVITED will be on TCM tomorrow night
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-06-2011 08:28 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE UNINVITED (1944) starring Ray Milland and Ruth Hussey has always been and still is my favorite ghost story movie. Including me, it is a movie many people have been wishing for a DVD for years but Universal never did release it in that format or laserdisc. The movie was released only once on home video and only on VHS and possibly Beta. I had the tape at one time but I do not know what had happened to it. Unlike many ghost stories made into movies, they were either too silly or too violent and recent ones have been too gory. THE UNINVITED was a very intelligent film and a ghost story very well told. I was too young when it was first released to theatres during the final year of World War 2 because I was too young but I did get to see it in a theatre during it's re rerelease a few years later and never forgot it. I manage to watch the movie on tape many times until I misplaced it. I have not seen the movie for a very long time and watcing it again tomorrow when it airs on Turner Movie Cassic will be a treat. It will be shown tomorrow night here in Hawaii at 7:00. It is a very convenient time for me here in the islands but might be a bit late at 12:00 midnight for people on the east coast who might have to program it on their DVR and watch it later.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 03-06-2011 08:39 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Claude

Yes it was released on LD> LD

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-06-2011 08:56 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom,

I had no idea it was released on laserdisc. If it was, I would have bought it the day it became available. Did you ever see the movie? If you did not and you can get TCM in Canada, please make an effort to watch it. I know you will e enjoy it.

-Claude

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 03-07-2011 02:34 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never seen the movies and I don't have TCM because I don't actually have cable or satelite.

I might actually have it on LD. I will have to check my collection.

Claude-check your PM box.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2011 11:47 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A new 35mm print was struck 2 years ago, The Landmark Loews Jersey was the first to run it.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-09-2011 12:29 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did get to see THE UNINVITED on TCM the other night and enjoyed it very much. As I had mentioned earlier, it was a pleasure to see it again like it was the first time because it has been at least twenty years since I last saw it. TCM programs are carried in both standard and high definition in Honoluu and watching the movie in HD was like seeing the movie in a theatre showing a brand new print made from restored elements. The picture was just gorgeous and deserved the 1944 Academy Award for best B&W cinematography. I always enjoyed Gail Russell and she made her film debut in this movie.

-Claude

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 03-09-2011 08:37 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude-Please check your private message box. I sent you something.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2011 05:39 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The song, "Stella by Starlight" became a standard, and was recorded by many different artists.

Such a good movie. I discovered it back in 1976 while working in the film department at a TV station.

The scene near the beginning when the flowers wither away in the haunted room gives me chills to this day.

Bruce

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: