Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Elevating my sub?

Author Topic: Elevating my sub?
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 02-26-2011 10:13 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, questions for all the experts on here.

My TV and speakers sit about 4.5 to 5 feet off the ground.

I want to elevate my subwoofer about half way or more.

Is there pros? Cons? Pointless? Good idea? Inventive [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-26-2011 11:16 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your sub should sit on the floor if possible. I think you would notice a decrease in bass if you lift it off the floor.

If you want even more bass than you're getting now, put the sub on the floor in a corner.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2011 11:32 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only reason to lift it is to please your neighbours in a condo building.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-27-2011 02:08 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just get more subs.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-27-2011 05:21 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, if you are thinking it will improve bottom end? Just the opposite, as Mike said. Floor is better, corner postion is even better than that. Lots more of them is the best of all, as Joe said. My axiom about subs -- there is no such thing as too many subs.

Now if this is a "neighbor" issue, then invoke the Golden Rule of Apartment Dwelling: "Hey, bub, you pay rent for your apartment....you do what you want in your apartment; I pay rent for my apartment.... I do what I want in my apartment." [Razz]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-27-2011 07:21 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Make her sit on the floor!" Louis

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2011 11:44 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your sub was designed to sit on the floor at the distance its built-in feet allow, so I think you're good on that front.

Like the others have said, placing a sub near a corner will reinforce its frequencies, but possibly at the risk of boominess. The good thing is that experimentation is easy.

The type of floor you have the sub on will also impact how much sound it will transmit. I think the ideal situation would be a stiff hardwood floor built on floor joists, which would allow the floor to reinforce the bass in a pleasing way. However, that introduces quite a few variables, and sound engineers don't like unknown variables. [Smile]

Some people with dedicated home theaters in basements with concrete floors have built raised subfloors, specifically to get rid of the sound deadening that can come from the concrete material. The problem with that is then the floor becomes part of the device, so unless you do it just right, the results may not be what you want.

Probably the best increase in sound quality can come from adding a second subwoofer. You'll be moving more air, plus you'll have two sources, which will even out some of the room issues that may be playing with the sub's frequencies.

One suggestion I've heard works in respect to sub placement is to place the sub in the room where you will be sitting, and then move around the room with your head near the floor until you find the position were the sub sounds the best. Now place the sub there, and you have your sweet spot.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-03-2011 10:51 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Jentsch
place the sub in the room where you will be sitting, and then move around the room with your head near the floor until you find the position were the sub sounds the best.
And Tom, when you're moving around the room with your head near the floor, be sure to have somebody with a videocam nearby so you can put it on Youtube.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: