Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Joan Collins movies

Author Topic: Joan Collins movies
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-26-2011 01:02 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DVD has come a long way since it was introduced in 1997 when Warner Brothers Home Video introduced the format in select cities during the first couple of months and went wide later. The discs were selling at a bargain at $24.95 compared to laserdiscs that were priced between $34.95 - $39.95. Old MGM titles were slightly less at $29.94 - $34.9%.

With the introduction of Blu Ray, DVD prices has tumbled and one can buy great movies at prices as low as $5.00 at stores like Costco and Sam's Club. Lately, I have seen some Four Movie selections offered by Warner Home Video and Turner Movie Classic at about ten dollars. It is hard to imagine but I was able to buy not four but a total of five films with Joan Collins at Costco for $12.95 They included THE GIRL IN THE RED VELVET SWING, SEA WIFE, STOPOVER TOKYO, SEVEN THIEVES and RALLY . AROUND THE FLAG BOYS. All of the films are from 20th Century Fox and were made in the late fifties and released to theatres in CinemaScope and four track mag stereo in selected theatres. I was fortunate to see most of them at the Waipahu in mag stereo at the time and they sounded great. THe movies are in their full glory on DVD in anarmorphic 2:35.1 and Dolby 4.0 Surround and each film comes in a slim case with a Scene Selection insert and four miniature lobby card reproductions. All films come with a commentary and film restoration comparison.

I saw STOPOVER TOKYO and RALLY AROUND THE FLAG BOYS last night and enjoyed them both very much. Although restored, the color in the TOKYO film did not look too great but RALLY looked exact;y like it did when it was first released- Gorgeous! I did see the DVD of THE GIRL IN THE RED VELVET SWING about a year ago when I rented it from Blockbuster Online and I remember the color was also great. In my opinion, the stereo sound is very dated with hardly any surround.

JOan Collins has always been one of my favorite 'eye candy' and she looks great in these films.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-20-2011 06:11 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Sorry for being two month late in this reply....)

How about her as Queen Nellifer against Jack Hawkins in Howard Hawk's 1955 sword and sandal epic for Warner Bros, "Land of the Pharohs" - in CinemaScope and WarnerColor?

Warner, those mid 50's movies when they were using Fox's "CinemaScope" process, loved to add in that moniker of using their own color system "WarnerColor" - as did with MGM and their "MetroColor" name later on..

-Monte

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-20-2011 08:06 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Monte

I also have THE LAND OF THE PHAROHS on DVD and loved the scene when Jack Hawkins pulls a robe off Joan Collins revealing her awesome figure in a very revealing two piece costume.. Back in those days, a women's navel was not allowed to be shown on the screen so Miss Collins had a jewel in hers. I first saw the movie in a theatre in CinemaScope with four track mag sound and it was a wonderful experience.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: