Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Star Wars: The complete saga on BR this Sept. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Star Wars: The complete saga on BR this Sept.
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-25-2011 11:14 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got an ad from Amazon for the Blu-Ray versions of the Star Wars saga, available Sept. 27. You can get all six movies in one set ($89.99), or the two trilogies separately ($44.99 each).

Of course the "ORIGINAL" versions of eps. 4-5-6 aren't available, only the special George-Lucas-tweaked versions, so the fans are in an uproar.

I'm sure the two-disk sets containing both original and special versions will be along next year.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-25-2011 11:21 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure George Lucas will eventually get around to releasing the original theatrical versions of the first Star Wars trilogy once the 1997 SE versions and prequels make all the money they can on Blu-ray.

One other thing I expect: sub-par video transfers and mediocre audio on the original theatrical cuts. Lucas did this when releasing the theatrical cuts on DVD. If my memory is correct, those discs had non-anamorphic video and lossy Dolby Surround 2.0 audio.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-25-2011 10:36 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which sucks since there were so many mixes for those movies. Particularly the first one. There could have been the original stereo matrixed mix, the original mono mix, the original four track mag mix, and the original six track mag mix, and whatever else. It would have been cool to compare them.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 02-25-2011 10:47 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a good feeling these Stars Wars blu-rays are not going to do as well as past dvd releases.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-25-2011 10:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, was there ONLY one mono mix and ONLY one stereo mix? I seem to recall hearing there was multiples of each, but that when it came down to it, the MONO mix, being the last wave of prints made, was what they refer to as the "definitive" mix because it had all of the desired sound effects and dialogue.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-26-2011 01:12 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gasp! Woody Allen was right! Mono is best!

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2011 10:33 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gasp! You're right! And what movie won Best Picture instead of Star Wars? Hmmm.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2011 01:35 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: I can't provide a link due to an error message
The sound editing and re-recording team began by preparing a four-track master mix (Left-Center-Right-Surround) which would serve as the basis for both the 35mm and 70mm stereo versions. First, the master mix was dubbed to a matrix-encoded two-track Lt-Rt (Left total-Right total) printmaster for use in creating the 35mm Dolby Stereo prints. Then, the same four-track master, with some enhancements added, was used to create the six-track version. In comparison to the 35mm Dolby Stereo version, the Six-Track Dolby Stereo version during playback offered discrete channels, greater clarity, superior dynamic range, and two extra channels for special low-frequency enhancement, in what the Dolby folks affectionately called “baby boom.” After completing the multichannel versions, the soundtrack crew created another English-language mix: a monaural mix. This would be included on prints destined for theatres not equipped with a stereophonic sound system and for versions prepared for ancillary markets. The mono prints were put into circulation upon the wide national break in June 1977.

With each subsequent mix, the filmmakers seized opportunities to revise and enhance selected portions of the soundtrack where they had felt rushed or shortchanged creatively. Sound Designer Ben Burtt recalls: “Because we were always trying to make the film better and better and fix things that were not right, there were some sweetener tracks added; things like different C-3PO or Stormtrooper lines [‘Close the blast doors’], additional sound effects, or some different ADR [the dialogue of Aunt Beru].” Knowing that multiple mixes were made containing subtle yet detectable differences help explain conflicting memories of moviegoers who remember hearing a certain sound effect or line of dialogue in one presentation but not in another.

It may be difficult to comprehend today as most major film releases on DVD sport a 5.1-channel digital soundtrack, but at the time, not knowing what the future would hold in terms of widespread adoption of multichannel sound in movie theatres and in homes, some members of the production felt the mono mix represented the definitive soundtrack of “Star Wars.” They felt that the stereo version was a novelty that selected audiences would be treated to only during a brief theatrical run. “George put a lot of effort in that mono mix,” Burtt remembers. “And he even said several times, ‘Well, this is the real mix. This is the definitive mix of the film.’ He paid more attention to it because he felt it was more important archivally.”

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2011 07:40 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great quote Michael. It's a shame we don't have that mix available anywhere on video.

I was reading some stuff at originaltrilogy.com, and some tenacious members went through and assembled a "mono mix" from multiple sources. Based on the history of those who have heard the mono mix, it is awfully close to re-creating that.

I was able to take a listen to it, and honestly, it was quite an enjoyable way to watch Star Wars for sure.

AJG

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2011 11:36 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will not buy it or accept it as a gift unless I have the option to watch the original editions of these movies in new, full 1080/24p transfers.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-27-2011 12:50 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I do specifically recall a difference in Empire. Luke is saying something about how familiar this place is...
Luke - "I feel like"
Yoda - "Feel like what?"
Luke turns around and points gun at Yoda
***Yoda screams***
Luke - "Like we're being watched."

Not all prints had the Yoda scream.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-27-2011 02:01 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also remember Luke saying to R2D2 after he/it gets spit back out by the swamp monster "It's a good thing you didn't taste too good" which has now been replaced with "You were lucky to get out of there" for whatever bizarre reason. I like the first line better as it makes much more sense. The second line makes it sound like it was pure luck he got spit back out. I am counting on Coate to get to the bottom of this, which I'm sure he easily can.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2011 02:16 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These sound like differences between the 70mm and 35mm prints.

The 35mm version came out a month after the 70mm version, and so that gave Lucas & company a bit of extra time to fiddle with their movie.

Much to my disappointment, the recently-published book The Making of The Empire Strikes Back by J.W. Rinzler addresses new shots added to the movie's final scene for the 35mm prints as if that was the only revision. (The book otherwise is outstanding.) I cited a few of the differences in the Justin Bieber thread.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2011 03:08 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
If my memory is correct, those discs had non-anamorphic video and lossy Dolby Surround 2.0 audio.
Yes they were awful windowboxed laserdisc rips, but they were the originals. I never bothered watching the SE discs.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-27-2011 08:34 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing those original edition DVDs were direct ports of the laser disks.

I remember the Yoda scream, Brad. I remember it because it was a part of the Super 8mm digest version which I watched probably 4,000 times as a kid.

Another difference I noticed:
When in the Death Star, and R2 is bringing up the location of the tractor beam on the screen, I believe it was an original VHS version of the movie where C-3PO said, "He'll try to make the exact location appear on the monitor." And then didn't say anything else. The next spoken line was Ben saying, "I don't think you boys can help. I must go alone." Then later in another version they added C-3PO explaining what you were looking at on the screen.

The line Joe mentions after R2 is spit out of the swamp in Empire annoys the crap out of me. The original line about "not tasting very good" that was on every other home version of the movie was better.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: