Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » State your gear

Author Topic: State your gear
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 02-22-2011 04:07 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok folks. I would love to hear what you are using to watch your movies.

Me: I have a mix of this and mix of that. I have kind of pieced it all together within a budget. Some equipment was new, some used and some given to me.

In my bedroom:
42" Hannspree LCD TV
Pioneer Elite VSX-09TX Reference Receiver (LD/DVD)
Yamaha HTR 6063 Receiver (DVD/BLU-RAY)
LG BD555C Blu-Ray
Pioneer DVL-909
Axiom (L,C,R,LS,RS)
Polk Audio SUB
SONY (LB,RB)

Wish list:

Any Pioneer Elite Laserdisc Player.

I am very proud that my speakers were made in Canada.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-22-2011 04:29 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-Sony 34XBR900 CRT HDTV (I desire to replace this but that will be a big chore)
-Pioneer VSX-03TXH receiver
-Pioneer DVL-700 LaserDisc player
-Kenwood RF Demodulator (forget the model number)
-JVC JSX-S900 AV switcher (for analog stuffs, also have a TOSlink optical switcher and a SPDIF coaxial switcher)
-KLH 312 (L, R, LS, RS, LBS, RBS)
-KLH 900B (Center)
-Velodyne DEQ-12R subwoofer
-Velodyne 1012 XII subwoofer
-Playstation 3
-Playstation 2
-Xbox 360
-Xbox
-Dreamcast
-Wii

That's just in one room. I have another HDTV in the bedroom but no sound system set up for it. I also have a game room in the basement with an SDTV CRT for pre-Dreamcast videogames. That one uses a Kenwood 5.1 receiver (forget the model number) but I use it in stereo with KLH 900B speakers.

I m beside myself with pride and glee that my speakers were NOT made in Canada.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 02-22-2011 10:41 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Samsung 61" DLP television with LED light engine
Onkyo THX Select receiver (7.1, but only using 5.1)
Boston Acoustics VR-Series speakers
HSU 12" down-firing subwoofer (250w)
Sony PS3 Slim (the newer quieter model)
Toshiba HD-DVD (which, for all intents and purposes, is used for nothing more than a CD player these days).

Not the most ideal environment (living room space open to kitchen, forced-air climate control, surrounds further back then they should be due to limited rear wall space), but it rocks plenty for the relatively small space it's in, and overall seems to consume minimal electricity.

I might add rear surrounds if I catch a deal on used Boston VRX's that match the existing ones, at which point I'd probably re-mount the existing surrounds on the ceiling parallel to my center chair. But that barely registers as even a low priority with me right now.

I have the receiver set up to play 2-channel stereo sources as matrixed and mono sources to play as 1.1 mono. I'm constantly impressed at how good older mono movies with uncompressed audio sound with this setup. Like a really nice old theatre with really good quality full-range front stage speakers would sound.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-22-2011 11:05 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Optoma GT720 projector
Pioneer VSX-1020 receiver
Polk RM6752 Center
Polk RM6751 L/R/LS/RS
Polk RM6750 Sub
Sony BDP-S550 blu ray player
1st generation AppleTV
XBOX 360 with HDDVD attachment

Everything except the XBOX and AppleTV are brand new, purchased in the past month as part of my massive home theatre overhaul. Prior to that, my projector was an Optoma EP719 and my sound system was a Logitech 5.1 "THX approved" multimedia speaker system.

In the coming days I will add:
Accuscreen 119" manual screen
Optoma 3DXL 3D projection adapter
2 pairs of Real D CrystalEyes 4 glasses and 1 emitter
Panasonic BDT100 3D blu ray player

Over the course of the year I will add:
ButtKicker BKA300 LFE transducer
Polk CS10 center speaker
Polk TSi200 L/R
The existing Polk RM6751 on L/R will be moved to rear surround for 7.1
The existing Polk RM6752 C will be paired with another of the same model as front height channels, maxing out the 9.1 channels on my processor.
2 additional pairs of RealD CrystalEyes 4 glasses
HTPC replacement for aging AppleTV

Edited to correct model number

[ 02-22-2011, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Mike Olpin ]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-22-2011 02:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea on model numbers but:

Downstairs "entertainment center:"
55" Toshiba LCD
Pioneer receiver (5 or 6 years old)
Panasonic 5-disk DVD player
Sony Blu-Ray player
TiVo Premiere
Akai floor speakers from 1974

We don't have a surround system down there (yet) because I tend to watch older movies and TV shows more than anything else and there's just not that much need for surround. My wife is a "quiet TV" person so when she's at home, she prefers the sound to be pretty soft anyway -- she uses the TV's own speakers most of the time.

I love my Akai speakers -- I'm not sure if you can beat the bass sound of a pair of "big box" speakers without spending tons of $.

In our bedroom we have a Samsung 32" TV and a Panasonic DVD player, and another TiVo. No special sound equipment in there.

We have an Oppo Blu-Ray player at the theatre so if we're in the mood to watch a movie in our rare spare-time, we'll go there and watch it on the big screen. It looks amazingly good. We watched an "Andy Griffith Show" episode last weekend just for fun...I noticed details in there I'd never seen before.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2011 02:39 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Klipsch RF-62 (left and right, bi-amped)
Klipsch SC-1 (center)
Klipsch SB-2 (surrounds)
JBL E250P sub

Yamaha P-350 turntable
Pioneer Elite DV-45A DVD player (for DVD-Audio and SACD)
Onkyo TX-SR705 THX select 2 receiver
Sony SPD-E800 processor (used for AC3 RF demodulation, and the one piece of gear I've had the longest!)

Panasonic TC-P42S2 1080p plasma television
Pioneer Elite CLD-79 LaserDisc player
Sony BDP-S370 Blu-ray player
DVDO iScan HD (for NTSC source upscaling)
Apple TV 2

The room is my bedroom, with the bed as the main listening position. The sound is quite amazing, but could use some acoustic treatment to control a bit more liveness than I would like.

AJG

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2011 03:03 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The family room system:

Technically all of this is Mom & Dad's but I'm the primary user of it. From the top down:
  • JVC VCR
  • Sega Dreamcast (don't know if it still works)
  • Insignia BluRay Player (no WiFi, connected to the router in the opposite corner of the room via a very long Cat5 cable)
  • Toshiba DVD Player (for the rare DVD that, for whatever reason, won't play in the BD player, and for non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs, because the BD player is set to pillarbox 4x3 content and it's easier to adjust the zoom settings on the TV)
  • Desay 26" LCD TV (largest that would fit in the cabinet, and I was on a budget, provides acceptable picture)
  • Yamaha RX-480 Stereo Receiver (all audio for video is run through the TV to the receiver)
  • NES circa 1990 (still works most of the time)
  • Speakers are Boston Acoustics SubSat6 Series II
Also normally part of this setup, but connected to the computer at the moment are an Audio Technica AT-PL50 turntable (which will be upgraded to an AT-PL120 ASAP) and a Yamaha KX-W162 Cassette Deck.
The living room system, only used for special "Movie Night" events when I invite friends over, incorporates the receiver and speakers from the family room system and either my B&H 16mm projector, or a rented HD DLP unit (paired with the family room BD player).

When I get my own place next year I will, of course, get a BITCHING a/v setup and will post details (and likely pictures) of it then. (Have it all picked out, but a lot can change in a year.)

Tim Asten
Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2011 04:18 PM      Profile for Tim Asten   Email Tim Asten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Philips 56pfl9954 21x9 lcd
Mission 771 l,r
Mission m3c1 c,
Gale 3010s r,
Tannoy 10" sub
Sony str-da1200 7.1 receiver
Sony bdps-350 blu ray
Panasonic dmr-ex77 hdd/dvd recorder
Sony dvp-ns76h dvd
Humax freesat hd satellite receiver
Sky tv satellite receiver

All of this looks and sounds pretty good, although have not got round to hd audio yet. TV is excellent - no top and bottom borders on scope picture despite some picture scaling (2560x1080 panel). Blu ray pictures and hd sat broadcasts look superb. [beer]

Robert D Hall
Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2011 06:17 PM      Profile for Robert D Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Robert D Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panasonic PT-DW5100U Projector
138in hurley mate white screen (left over from a real d install)
emotiva LMC-1 AV processor
5 QSC USA 1310 amps
1 EV P1250 (for subs)
3 peavey SP-2G L/C/R
6 peavey T5 LS/RS/LB/RB
2 peavey 18in BWX subs
Samsung BD-P2500 blu-ray player
4 sony MDS-JE510 minidisc recorders
Peavey PV14 Mixer (for karaoke)
3 Peavey PVM 46 microphones (for karaoke)
2 samsung wireless microphones (for karaoke)
qosmio laptop (for karaoke)
beverage-air DD48Y-1-B Kegerator with bud light and coors light (to get the karaoke going)

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 02-23-2011 01:18 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Downstairs "entertainment center:"
55" Toshiba LCD
Pioneer receiver (5 or 6 years old)
Panasonic 5-disk DVD player
Sony Blu-Ray player
TiVo Premiere
Akai floor speakers from 1974

No LD player?

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 02-25-2011 01:57 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby H-

What is your gear?

I would like to know.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-25-2011 02:29 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, last request. Fix your location or you will go bye bye.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-25-2011 09:42 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
Bobby H- What is your gear?
Considering my house was burglarized last year I'm hesitant to go into specifics. On the bright side I don't think many would be burglars are reading this forum.

Late January of last year Southwest Oklahoma was hit was an extremely brutal ice storm. My neighborhood didn't have power for roughly a week and it was pretty much deserted. I stayed with one of my friends and went back and forth to check on my place. The last night without power my house was looted. So were a few others. Even the gas station/convenience store nearby was ransacked; the back-up batteries for its burglar alarm system had went dead. Lots of fly by night tree removal guys were working all over the area; I strongly suspect them for at least some of the burglaries that happened. No thanks to our local police department and city leadership for the virtual lack of police presence in the neighborhoods. With a disaster declaration declared they could have called in help from the National Guard to prevent some of the burglaries that took place.

Among items taken:
52" Sony Bravia XBR4 TV set
80GB Sony Playstation 3 (Motorstorm Bundle model)
That PS3 was the one with flash card slots, SACD compatibility, PS1 emulation, etc.

I'm currently getting by with a 40" Samsung Series 650 TV set. I'm going to wait for this 3D TV situation to settle before buying another big TV set. I had to get a PS3 Slim to replace the original PS3.

My speakers are all Paradigm models, Titans on the front, Atoms for the surrounds. CC-170 center and PS1000 sub. I have a Yamaha receiver.

I would spend some money to do some upgrading, but lately I've been putting more of my disposable income into photography gear. I need to buy a new notebook soon; don't know how much longer my old Inspiron notebook will last.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: