Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » The Dark Knight

Author Topic: The Dark Knight
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 02-10-2011 10:18 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Here is an outstanding movie. The following up to Batman Begins is just as good. I liked both films equally as much. Everyone knows how well this movie did and watching it for the first time in the home since I saw it in theatre was an experience.

I really like how they opened up the screen for the IMAX sequences. You can clearly see a difference when it goes from IMAX to 35mm and back. I think Nolan used the IMAX footage as a tool, opening up the frame at certain key points in the movie and also introducing a number of exterior shots with the IMAX camera. I probably wouldn't of cared as much for the IMAX scenes if the entire movie was filmed in IMAX, Nolan uses it as a story telling tool and I liked it. I do wish I saw The Dark Knight when it was it was shown in IMAX. There is a documentary on the disc explaining the use of IMAX but I really have no intention of watching it. Anytime you notice that it goes to full frame and stays a while, you realize that all hell is about to break loose, what a excellent use of the format.

The sound on the bluray was outstanding although it is too bad that it wasn't 7.1. It did win an Oscar for sound editing.

As for Heth Ledger. I thought he was very good but I think a lot of people got a little too carried away with how great they thought his performance was because he died. If he didn't die, he wouldn't of won the Oscar. I personally think Christopher Nolan's direction and vision is what makes the The Dark Knight so good. I always liked Gary Oldman's role.

The great thing about The Dark Knight is that there is violence and death, unlike some other PG-13 movies that spare some lives, this movies goes for it and it works.

Overall, a great follow up to Batman Begins and a worthy movie on bluray.

Bluray: ****
Sound **** (TrueHD)

|  IP: Logged

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2011 02:19 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trouble I had was that, despite the technical achievements and the supposedly great performances, I never really "had a good time" watching this story unfold. Perhaps there is a bit of catharsis in the 21st century watching a deranged terrorist doing his damage but I can't figure out how that was enough to put this movie into the $500 million range in North America. This was about as much "fun" to watch as A Clockwork Orange.

...but that's just one man's opinion.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-10-2011 07:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
he wouldn't of won
"He wouldn't have won."

quote: Tom Petrov
I probably wouldn't of cared
"I probably wouldn't have cared"

I wish you kids would learn basic English.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-11-2011 05:19 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, what's you're problem? You complain about kids these days. I say their doing just fine! [Razz]

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2011 06:36 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Din't you mean to write "kid's these day's"?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-12-2011 12:13 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2011 07:40 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought a kid was a goat! [Smile]

At least that is what my English teacher told me when I called a child a kid in something I wrote for her.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2011 09:17 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't the Grammar Nazi be speaking German?

Hallo Volks!!!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 02-13-2011 12:16 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought a kid was a goat!
[pedantic]A kid is the offspring of a a pair of goats.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-13-2011 10:11 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I wish you kids would learn basic English.
I've been trying to figure out how to bring this up in Tom's posts. Thankfully now, I don't have to.

Thank you, Mike.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2011 01:37 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris I stand corrected! [Smile] I often stand corrected!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: