Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Author Topic: A.I. Artificial Intelligence
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 02-09-2011 04:13 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Now here is a movie by Steven Spielbery that I really, really liked. IMO it is a great movie but not it same "greatest" like E.T. or Close Encounters and such. This is his best movie since Saving Private Ryan.

I think what made it work so much was the sets and real life animatronics. I am not sure what was real or not (I have no intention of watching the special features), but it looked as if real sets, limited green screen at times and animatronics were used. There is a special credit to "Teddy" as designed by Stan Winston. Now I know there was a lot of CGI, but it is hard to tell at time what is real and what is not. Perhaps there were minatures?

I know A.I. was originally going to be made by Stanley Kubrick, as it seemed Spielberg made an emphasis on having a lot of detail in the sets. There is so much detail like a Kubrick film that I found interesting. I was hoping for more stedi-cam following shots like Kubrick trademarked.

The cinematography is impressive as there is a lot of interesting use of light, back lights, movements etc. The Flesh Hunting scenes souded great with a great score to it as well.

Casting is good. I am not a big fan of Haley Joel but I liked William Hurt, Jude Law and the mother played by Frances O'Connor was very good. The direction of actors by Spielbery is indeed impressive.

I watched A.I. right after I watched Minority Report and I found A.I. to be a far superior movie (it is more film-like than Minority Report which is more of a movie), more ambitious and a more interesting movie. Perhaps the greatest flaw to A.I. are there are some was that Spielberg could of made the ending a little less straightfoward and more vague-like and open to interpretation like Stanley Kubrick's other films.

I noticed that A.I. was nominated for two Oscars. The music by John Williams deserves one for sure. I would of object to just two Oscar noms as cinematography, editing, sound effect, production design (do they have one for this?) and sound effects editing could of had more.

I remember seeing A.I. back in 2001 in the large cinema at the Galaxy Cinemas in Peterborough, I sat in the middle of the row about half way up the stadium seating area. I remember liking it back then, and today, giving it a second watch right after Minority Report, I have realized I now like it even more .

DVD picture: ***1/2
Sound DTS: ***1/2 (far superior sound to Minority Report)

|  IP: Logged

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 02-09-2011 04:32 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My review of it (from my website):

quote:
So I have my ticket, popcorn, and unusually large soda. Ticket boy takes the slip and tells me to go to Auditorium 16 to my left. But I know for a fact that Auditorium 16 is to the right. So I say "No, it's over there." He's in a bad mood anyway and gets snippy. I'm also in a bad mood. So tell him to shut up because he's a minimum wage ticket taker at a sucky monsterplex nobody cares about. And by the way, they have stale Milk Duds. So he takes a swing, thinking I'm defenseless because my hands are full of popcorn and an unusually large soda. So I smack him with the hand that has the soda. The soda explodes in a dazzling splash of syrupy fountain-drawn splendor all over his Supercuts coif. He's stunned. I get overzealous and just start wailing on the little punk. Right right right right kick kick right right...Then somebody hits me from behind and I realize another employee has joined the fray. Then two more. But I'm holding my own with some swift kicks and one of those poles with the retractable strap to make standby lines when the auditorium isn't ready. Popcorn, blood, and dark brown soda is everywhere. The girls at the snack bar have abandoned their posts and are throwing boxes of stale Milk Duds at me. The other patrons are getting annoyed because we're basically taking up the width of the hallway and they can't get around us to go to their movies. So after I get done beating the crap out of every employee in the building, we all go to our auditoriums and sit down. Unfortunately, I forgot to leave somebody standing to go upstairs and start the movies. So we all sit around with our popcorn and just sort of leave after it's gone.

None of this is true of course, and it's too bad because it would have been WAY more entertaining than this stupid sucky movie.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-09-2011 10:14 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, the BEST review EVER!! [thumbsup]

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-10-2011 01:35 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this in Amsterdam at the Cine Expo convention at its first showing.

I was blown away with the special effects and Speilberg was still hot back then and it was a high concept film with ties to Kubrik.

I was very disturbed after and it took me a day or so to decide whether I merely disliked the plot or truly hated it and it was the latter.

I later read Anthiny Lane's review in the New Yorket magazine and he put into words what I really felt.

The best line in his review was "she was a bad mother,...
to both children.

Imagine a film where the parents drive the synthetic boy out to the woods and release him like a pet you no longer want.

Truly hideous on any number of levels!

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-10-2011 06:05 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,

You hated the entire film based on the actions of supporting characters in the first act?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-10-2011 08:44 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A.I. was an interesting movie and had some terrific visual effects. However, I have come to regard the movie as a big downer. It's depressing. The layers of trademark Spielberg schmaltz aren't able to brighten up what is ultimately a really bleak story.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-10-2011 08:59 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nearly all "high concept" movies will be bleak. They want to be as far from the typical Hollywood happy ending as possible. So "high concept" movies are usually predictable by that alone.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-10-2011 10:23 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first act is the foundation of all films.

Then the plot sickens.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-10-2011 12:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, the situation in your review should be written into the next Adam Sandler movie.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2011 01:44 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like the film very much I didn't hate it. I don' t have to have a happy ending for me but this one just missed and then missed again. It didn't exactly suck and yes it was visually nice but it just wasn't a film I would watch again and again. Or even again once I don't think.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-21-2011 01:48 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We opened A.I. on September 13th, 2001. Although the attacks on the twin towers happened 9/11 there it was already 9/12 here so the very next day we opened it.

It was for me a very sad piece of irony that at the end of the film pretty much the only buildings left in Manhattan were the World Trade Center towers.

-

[Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: