Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Minority Report

Author Topic: Minority Report
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 02-08-2011 03:21 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Here is a movie that I think is slightly overrated. It was a pretty original idea and scope of the movie are impressive. It is always nice to see Tom Cruise work with a great director, the last two movies I saw were "Eyes Wide Shut" and now this and he much better than he is Vanilla Sky or the recent Knight and Day. Cruise is great in this movie.

The supporting cast are very good. The script is intersting with a few holes.

As for Spielberg, well IMO his stuff from the last ten years is nowhere near as good as the stuff from the late 70's and 80's. I thought Minority Report was about 20 minutes too long as the movie has few "Jurassic Park" like chases in the first half. The movie is more movie than film.

I not really sure about the special effects. I thought they were ok at best. Also, with the sound, not sure why it recieved a nomination for best sound editing. It wasnt that great.

This could of been a **** movie if it weren't for the 20 minute too long running time and washed out grainy image that looks like it was intentional.

DVD picture: *
Sound DTS: *

|  IP: Logged

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2011 12:55 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have this movie in my collection, but the reviews on Widescreen Review and DVDTown give it pretty good marks in the sound department.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-08-2011 10:09 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Minority Report is a good movie. It's not one of Spielberg's best, but I found it significantly more entertaining (and less of a downer) than A.I. or War of the Worlds.

Minority Report would be even better if not for some glaring holes in the plot. There's one that, if you think about it, ruins a critical part of the story:

Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

Despite the plot holes, I still like Minority Report for some of its futuristic ideas -particularly the ones involving creepy personalized advertising. Some of that stuff is already threatening to come true. A few other ones, like having your own freeway flyover ramp running up to your apartment is silly (consider what that would cost).

Too much of Janusz Kaminski's cinematography is drained of color and gritty looking. That look worked great in movies like Saving Private Ryan but it seems out of place in a futuristic movie. However anyone feels about the cinematography, the recently released Blu-ray does a fantastic job of preserving it. All the grit and grain is there to see. The movie uses 47.2 GB of a 50GB dual layer Blu-ray and has an average video bit rate of over 37Mb/s. That's quite a bit higher than most movies on Blu-ray.

The DTS-HD Master Audio track is pretty good. It's not bombastic like Saving Private Ryan but it's not bad either. The movie has some interesting sound effects.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 02-09-2011 01:15 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on Bobby?

Did you notice that his eyeballs still gave him security clearance even after he was deemed WANTED?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-09-2011 09:44 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, re-read what I wrote. I said the movie had numerous plot holes. I have no obligation of listing all of those plot holes. Nevertheless, I liked the movie and I'm not changing my mostly positive opinion of it. You gave the show a positive sounding "three star" rating so it's really pretty silly for you to get argumentative about it.

Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 02-09-2011 12:58 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just noticed that Minority Report was one of the rare movies that was directed and not produced by Spielberg

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: