Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Gone In 60 Seconds

Author Topic: Gone In 60 Seconds
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 02-07-2011 04:49 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I didn't like this movie when I saw it in theatres about 11 years back. Watching this movie again, I have realized that this is perhaps my favorite Nicolas Cage/Jerry Bruckheimer film. I have not seen National Treasure.

I like that there was more story to this movie that other Bruckheimer films like the The Rock or Con Air where everything is just over the top every second. Don't get me wrong, Gone In 60 Seconds is over the top, but not like Armageddon or The Rock and Con Air. Now, I can only imagine what Michael Bay would of done if he directed it.

Nicolas Cage was good. The strongest element of this film was the supporting cast. Except for Anjelina Jolie, everyone had a solid role and the proper amount of time on screen. I really liked Robert Duvall, even though he isn't one of my favorite actors. Angelina Jolie was the weakest part of this movie, she barely had a role and no screen time during the climatic chase at the end. Delroy Lindo played a pretty good cop.

I have not looked at IMDB or the box office stats of this movie, my hunch is that Gone In 60 Seconds did well but not great at the box office. I didn't care for this movie the first time around, watching it again I have learned that I really like it.

I have to give kudos to the line "I don't care if the cars belong to Tom Cruise" and I special mention to the fact the they are tasked with stealing a Toyota Land Cruiser.

DVD Picture: **** (if this was released on laserdisc, I am sure it would of been THX approved.
Sound: ***

|  IP: Logged

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2011 07:09 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie has grown on me over the years. I still prefer the original movie from the 70s though.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2011 07:18 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mike. Seek out the original version. The recent DVDs have redone music and sound effects; earlier VHS tapes are more "authentic" to the original release. The last time we ran the 16mm print, the crowd loved it!

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2011 09:38 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie was pretty entertaining up to the point where the extremely phony CG Shelby jumps across the blocked bridge and lands it almost without damage.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 02-07-2011 10:40 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron-it had damage, don't you remember Cage showing up with the damaged car at the junkyard

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2011 01:22 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It did, but he was still able to drive it.

I know it's a movie, but it really took me out of it.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 02-16-2011 12:24 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I agree with Mike. Seek out the original version. The recent DVDs have redone music and sound effects; earlier VHS tapes are more "authentic" to the original release. The last time we ran the 16mm print, the crowd loved it!
Gone In 60 Seconds (1974)

Hilary, what a great movie. I saw the one with 2 track stereo mix. Not sure if it is original.

I liked how both movies are similar yet so different. The real life stunts and filming was a pleasure to see. The ending with the jump and the way they edited was kind of cool.

I will admit, I did not see the ending with the car wash coming. That was real fun.

Overall, a great original idea that works because of the real sets, real stunts and no fake CGI

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: